Mormon Stories about Chad Daybell

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
stuck

Mormon Stories about Chad Daybell

Post by stuck » Tue Oct 12, 2021 12:36 pm

This was a really interesting and disturbing episode. Do you guys know how widespread this AVOW group is and do they have any ties to Deznat or anti-vaxxers?

stuck

Re: Mormon Stories about Chad Daybell

Post by stuck » Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:51 pm

This link kind of answers my question. https://www.splcenter.org/hatewatch/202 ... tic-church

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:06 am

I'm really looking forward to discussing this but I gotta find 7 freakin' hours to listen to it first.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:41 am

First takeaway:

Mormonism sets the stage for these kinds of tragedies by telling us that continuing revelation means there is still important information coming. It puts that in the context of last days where we are told that those who are not prepared will suffer - soon. But then it leaves us hanging. People who believe and are motivated by that message are going to look for SOME source of revelation, since the church doesn't seem to have anything for us despite the fact that they keep beating it into our heads the sense of urgency that the clock is ticking. It's a timebomb.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:11 pm

I didn’t listen nor do I plan to.

Just wanted to point out what a great job the media has done to ignore/remove the church from this story. Watching this unfold, they’ve distance the Daybell’s from Mormonism and used the “dooms day cult” label instead.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

stealthbishop

Post by stealthbishop » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:55 am

WHOA!

5-10 years ago I infiltrated an AWOW FB group. IT. WAS. DISGUSTING. It was so racist it made me want to puke. I was really shocked. Not shocked anymore because these beliefs are somewhat mainstream now. It's white nationalism with a Mormon twist. Probably very much allied and overlapped with DezNat.
Last edited by stealthbishop on Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

stealthbishop

Post by stealthbishop » Mon Oct 18, 2021 7:57 am

WHOA!

5-10 years ago I infiltrated an AVOW FB group. IT. WAS. DISGUSTING. It was so racist it made me want to puke. I was really shocked. Not shocked anymore because these beliefs are somewhat mainstream now. It's white nationalism with a Mormon twist. Probably very much allied and overlapped with DezNat. Sounds like Chad was a part of this group. Yuck!
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode