Mormon Bishop Accuses LDS Church Of Atrocities

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
stealthbishop

Re: Mormon Bishop Accuses LDS Church Of Atrocities

Post by stealthbishop » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:07 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:17 am
stealthbishop wrote:
Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:49 am
MoPag wrote:
Fri Nov 12, 2021 1:38 pm
Wow Stealth! I had no idea!! I didn't join NOM until 2016.

You are so amazing!!
Thanks. Much appreciated. Unlike former bishop Richard Ostler, I spent all my "capital" in one shot and went all in. He's much wiser and more disciplined in the use of his capital. He's definitely "playing the long game".
Stealth, where do you see Richard Ostler in a few years?

Will his long game have an end? Or do you think he can maintain his niche in Mormonism?

One other question. If my memory holds, I believe you mentioned a book you either wrote or participated in where you were a Mormon “priest” that lost your faith? Feel free to correct me… I can’t recall the full details.
Richard Ostler is quite remarkable. I think he can certainly maintain his niche. I know of many people who could play the long game and be okay. I was one of them until my wife pulled back! I thought I was in for the long haul because of family. And I have strong cultural/heritage ties. But it is also certainly possible that something in his life or within himself could trigger a collapse. I never thought it would happen to my wife but it did and that could be true for him perhaps someday. There is no way of knowing for sure. I think in the PostMo and ExMo world there is a narrative that eventually things will collapse. There's some truth to it but not universally. Richard is a very disciplined and long-suffering individual who can maintain his approach for the rest of his life I believe.

Yes, I was involved in a study and a subsequent book "Caught In The Pulpit: Leaving Belief Behind". Great memory RR. I'm known as Joe in the book.
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode