Saint Augustine and the post-Mormon experience

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

Saint Augustine and the post-Mormon experience

Post by Hagoth » Wed Nov 10, 2021 11:59 am

"Tongues that appear to be offering helpful advice can actually be hostile opponents and, in offering love, may devour us in the way people consume food." (Confessions, Book IV: 2)
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

stuck

Re: Saint Augustine and the post-Mormon experience

Post by stuck » Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:18 am

Yeah I would agree. Even not being totally out but being a somewhat of a non-participant in the ward. One of the elder's quorum guys came by on Sunday and encouraged me to do my ministering. This reminds me of what hometeaching used to be like--except it seems that ministering has turned into bringing treats to those who you're supposed to minister to. So it's kind of like hometeaching still except without the lesson. I suppose this is better but still seems a bit contrived. Then I was invited in to see the bishop not long ago because my temple recommend had expired. I had to explain that I had lost my faith and didn't want to renew it. Also, I didn't really want any callings more or less.

At least once you're out you don't have to deal with these sorts of things?

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:49 pm

stuck wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 9:18 am
Then I was invited in to see the bishop not long ago because my temple recommend had expired. I had to explain that I had lost my faith and didn't want to renew it. Also, I didn't really want any callings more or less.
How did he react?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

stuck

Post by stuck » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:33 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Nov 11, 2021 3:49 pm
stuck wrote:
Then I was invited in to see the bishop not long ago because my temple recommend had expired. I had to explain that I had lost my faith and didn't want to renew it. Also, I didn't really want any callings more or less.
How did he react?
Well, he said that he now knows where to put up the guard rails which is good because I don't really want a calling. Except now I am in nursery with my son, but once he moves on, I hope to not have any other callings. I couldn't do any leadership or teaching calling.

Then the issue of my older son's baptism came up and he went over that with me. So apparently I can technically baptize him if he approves it, but if not I can't. So he still has power over that which stinks. So we'll see what happens 3 years down the road.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:49 pm

stuck wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:33 pm
Hagoth wrote:
stuck wrote:
How did he react?
Well, he said that he now knows where to put up the guard rails which is good because I don't really want a calling. Except now I am in nursery with my son, but once he moves on, I hope to not have any other callings. I couldn't do any leadership or teaching calling.

Then the issue of my older son's baptism came up and he went over that with me. So apparently I can technically baptize him if he approves it, but if not I can't. So he still has power over that which stinks. So we'll see what happens 3 years down the road.

I'm assuming your spouse is still fully on board with tscc.

It would have been nice to respond that he (the bishop) may have approval over who baptizes your son but you have approval over whether he's baptized in the LDS faith at all.

Which as the father in the home you absolutely do. But that might make things difficult at home. However you might take the tack that you'd like your son to be a little older when he's baptized so that he can better appreciate and be fully informed about what he's doing.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

stuck

Post by stuck » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:46 am

Palerider wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:49 pm
stuck wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:33 pm
Hagoth wrote:

How did he react?

I'm assuming your spouse is still fully on board with tscc.

It would have been nice to respond that he (the bishop) may have approval over who baptizes your son but you have approval over whether he's baptized in the LDS faith at all.

Which as the father in the home you absolutely do. But that might make things difficult at home. However you might take the tack that you'd like your son to be a little older when he's baptized so that he can better appreciate and be fully informed about what he's doing.
Yeah unfortunately she is still fully on board. You make a good point, but I don't think it would fly to have him wait? There is so much social pressure at church and in the family to have him wait. Yet, our parents know that I'm not a believer anymore and the bishop knows now too. So maybe I could discuss it with my wife. This has been a problem in our marriage to this point that I allow her to teach the kids in an orthodox manner and I don't have my say really. Anyway, this would be a good thread topic to see how people in mixed faith marriages raise their kids.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:49 am

stuck wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:46 am
Anyway, this would be a good thread topic to see how people in mixed faith marriages raise their kids.
You should start one.