The Great Garment Rebellion of 2022

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

The Great Garment Rebellion of 2022

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Nov 11, 2021 4:45 pm

I’ve decided to take matters into my own hands and start a grass roots effort to agitate Mormon leadership into policy change.

What: The Great Garment Rebellion of 2022

When: Summer 2022. Month and date TBD

Where: We will march down state street in Salt Lake City and end up in front of the Church Office Building. Exact route TBD

Why: We call upon the leaders of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints to end the practice and requirements of daily wearing of Mormon Temple Garments, also know as Polygamy Panties, Sex Prevention Suits, Jesus Jammies, and all other names that elicit loud laughter.

How: all protestors are invited to wear a pair of LDS temple garments either over their clothes or under their clothes. Participants may choose whatever level of comfort works best for them. At the end of the March, participants will remove their garments and place into a large plexiglass box on the sidewalk in front of the temple/COB.
Participants wearing garments under their clothes pay choose to strip down and remove them in public, declaring their freedom from the hideous garment. Participants wearing them over their clothes may also disrobe and symbolically demonstrate their freedom from the control placed upon them during their initiatory and endowment.

The goal would be to publicly fill the large plexiglass box with garments.

Bring protest signs, old pairs of garments to discard, and your voice!

More details to come.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

moksha

Re: The Great Garment Rebellion of 2022

Post by moksha » Thu Nov 11, 2021 8:49 pm

Will you be applying for the Parade Permit?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

hmb

Post by hmb » Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:09 am

Here's a couple of ideas for signage...

For the women:
Giblet "Protection,"
Leads to Infection

For the men:
Free Willy

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Tue Nov 16, 2021 1:59 pm

"We are not in a cult, we're in garments!"

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Nov 16, 2021 2:18 pm

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:26 pm

How about mounting garments on poles and waving them like white flags?

Imagine if garments started getting a lot of attention from outside, like if Colbert or Kimmel started a running gag about them and everybody joined in passing around Facebook memes and stuff. Of course, that won't happen because people just don't care enough about Mormons. But for the sake of discussion... How much public embarrassment do you think The Brethren would tolerate before they crumbled out of embarrassment and made major changes to garment policy? Or at least before they claimed that they don't make anyone wear those things, they just do it because they want to.

Did anyone else have this myth in their mission?
Some elders dropped off their dirty clothes at a laundry to have them washed and pressed (you already know it's a myth). When they came to pick up their clothes they found their garments on display in the window with rude comments spray painted on them. So, of course, they shook the dust off their feet. The townsfolk woke up the next morning to discover that the laundry had burned down overnight.

I share this story as a warning. If you hold a rally like this I'm sure Russell Nelson will call upon the earth to split open and swallow up the rabble-rousers, just as Moses did with the calf-worshippers.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

hmb

Post by hmb » Wed Nov 17, 2021 7:05 am

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Nov 16, 2021 11:26 pm

I share this story as a warning. If you hold a rally like this I'm sure Russell Nelson will call upon the earth to split open and swallow up the rabble-rousers, just as Moses did with the calf-worshippers.
It would still be worth it.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:36 am