Tales of Tithing Settlement

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

Tales of Tithing Settlement

Post by Hagoth » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:31 pm

Are you doing it this year?
Mrs. Hagoth signs us up and I attend to report yet again that I don't pay anything.

I think both of our eyes popped a little bit when he said he's not worried about either of us drifting away or anything. Huh? I haven't regularly attended meetings for years and I quit my last calling due to inability to teach stuff I can't believe.

Anybody else had fun or scary encounters with the Ghost of Tithing Settlement Present?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Just This Guy

Re: Tales of Tithing Settlement

Post by Just This Guy » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:42 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:31 pm
I think both of our eyes popped a little bit when he said he's not worried about either of us drifting away or anything. Huh? I haven't regularly attended meetings for years and I quit my last calling due to inability to teach stuff I can't believe.

Gotta love how reliable the power of discernment is.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Sun Nov 28, 2021 5:38 pm

It's been a few years, but a while back I stopped paying tithing. I did not attend tithing settlement, and the bishop sent me a text asking for my tithing status. I sent a message back declaring myself to be a non-tithe payer. I few months later, my temple recommend expired. A counselor asked me to go to a TR interview. I told him that I did not think I was worthy of a recommend. The next week the bishop called me in to tell me that he could not imagine I was unworthy of a recommend. Did my tithing status not matter? I was stunned.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:10 pm

It's funny how many things fall under the category of "worthy."
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Angel

Post by Angel » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:16 pm

I once sent someone back into a settlement after they lied and the bishop fell for it. Stopped them as they were coming out of the door - confronted all involved, sent everyone back into office, this time no TR when they came out. :evil:

Bishops handing out TR's to child molesters.... bishops have no idea when they hand those TR's out, they are often handing out "you are just fine" cards that allow abuse to continue, and perpetrators to justify their actions as not taking away their worthiness.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:42 pm

It was very wise not to name this Tithing Shake Down.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:34 am

moksha wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:42 pm
Acts 5: 1-11

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:59 am

I used to go with the whole family and declare my non-tithe status so that the wife and kids weren’t church widows. It caused a lot of anxiety all around. The Bishop would pull out a big bag of candy and ask the kids to count out 10 pcs. Then he would ask them to give one back as a form of tithing. Then he would ask the kids if they were full tithe payers. They would proudly declare their full status and he would ask them what they did to earn the money they paid their $3 in tithing on. Chores! Babysitting! Helping mom and dad! Then he would congratulate them. Then he would ask Sister Ryder if she was a full tithe payer? Of course! Then he would change the tone of the room, get serious, take a long pause…

And what about you Red Ryder?

What? Nothing? Not even fast offerings?

Well you know the Lord can’t bless us if we don’t keep his commandments. Then he would challenge me to start paying. It felt like an odd attempt to embarrass me in front of my own family.

Fast forward a few years and now I just skip the whole thing. It seems like it starts earlier each year and has become the 4th quarter theme.

This weeks lesson is on how to maximize your blessings by paying your tithing. Next week we will discuss the blessings of paying a generous tithe. November will be thanksgiving, uh I mean tithes and giving, followed by the widows mite and her blessings of tithing. Give give give gove give give. December will be real estate appreciation month, ten reasons why your tithing dollars are needed to support our billion dollar organization. Has everyone signed up for tithing settlement yet?

I’m proud to say the church doesn’t need my money. If the lights ever go out and the members have to worship in the dark, I will gladly pay the electric bill on their behalf to get the lights turned on. However I refuse to donate money to an investment fund, temple building program, or condo high rise project.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:04 am

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:34 am
moksha wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:42 pm
Acts 5: 1-11
Makes me wonder whether any LDS bishops have read the story of Ananias and Sapphira to couples coming in for tithing settlement/shakedown?

Red Ryder wrote:However, I refuse to donate money to an investment fund, temple building program, or condo high-rise project.
Hey, the Intergalactic Spaceship Nauvoo is not going to build itself. You will be paving the way for Missionaries in Space.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

RubinHighlander

Post by RubinHighlander » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:11 am

moksha wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:04 am
Hey, the Intergalactic Spaceship Nauvoo is not going to build itself. You will be paving the way for Missionaries in Space.
Belters will just own that ship someday anyway. I think that will be a backdoor deal by TSCCorp. Then the top brass can collect the insurance and not have to drain anymore of their trillion dollar hedge fund to finish paying for all the white space curtains. I was quite disappointed not to see that ship burn up in the Sun's corona, but then it just becomes martyr. If somehow TSCCorp ends up getting that ship back in season 6, I'm done with this series! They should at least wait until season 666.
“Sir,' I said to the universe, 'I exist.' 'That,' said the universe, 'creates no sense of obligation in me whatsoever.”
--Douglas Adams

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzmYP3PbfXE

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:26 am

RubinHighlander wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:11 am
moksha wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:04 am
Belters will just own that ship someday anyway. I think that will be a backdoor deal by TSCCorp. Then the top brass can collect the insurance and not have to drain anymore of their trillion dollar hedge fund to finish paying for all the white space curtains. I was quite disappointed not to see that ship burn up in the Sun's corona, but then it just becomes martyr. If somehow TSCCorp ends up getting that ship back in season 6, I'm done with this series! They should at least wait until season 666.
It's all in God's plan. Let the Belters have it, surreptitiously collect all the information you can on them, then take it back in a bloody "do your priesthood duty" style raid. Then use that information to posthumously baptize the victims and their kin, who you will track down all over the solar system from the DNA you scraped up from the aftermath of the reacquisition.

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Nov 29, 2021 10:34 pm

The six-episode sixth season will premiere on December 10, 2021 with episodes releasing on Fridays through January 14, 2022. The Plan will be revealed to take the Church of Jesus Christ of Future-day Saints to the stars.
-- Moksha

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Tue Nov 30, 2021 9:24 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:59 am
If the lights ever go out and the members have to worship in the dark, I will gladly pay the electric bill on their behalf to get the lights turned on.
Don't do it.

They won't notice because they already worship in the dark..... :|
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Enough 2.0

Post by Enough 2.0 » Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:13 pm

At tithing settlement, I told the Bishop that I do not know how to pay for my son’s mission. (He has been in Africa for 4 months).

It turns out that if you pay tithing on-line the *regular* way (on the church website Donation site), then you should also know how to pay for missionaries. Oops— I just accidentally outed myself as one of those members who pay without the church being able to see what I pay (e.g. instructions from a few years ago??)

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:30 pm

Enough 2.0 wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 2:13 pm
At tithing settlement, I told the Bishop that I do not know how to pay for my son’s mission. (He has been in Africa for 4 months).

It turns out that if you pay tithing on-line the *regular* way (on the church website Donation site), then you should also know how to pay for missionaries. Oops— I just accidentally outed myself as one of those members who pay without the church being able to see what I pay (e.g. instructions from a few years ago??)
Holy Cow! Look who’s back…

First Stealth.

Now Enough!

Prayers do get answered. 😂

Welcome back stranger. You’ve been missed. Give us an update sometime.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:09 pm

Enough 2.0 wrote:

It turns out that if you pay tithing on-line the *regular* way (on the church website Donation site), then you should also know how to pay for missionaries.
Is this something I've missed over the past 10-12 years?

Do members not pay tithing directly to the Bishop anymore?
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

George Washington

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:15 pm

Palerider wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:09 pm
Enough 2.0 wrote:

It turns out that if you pay tithing on-line the *regular* way (on the church website Donation site), then you should also know how to pay for missionaries.

LD$-Inc. has finally realized there is a funny thing called the internet an you can donate online now right on the LD$-Inc. website! (At least 10 years too late...)

The "previous" way to donate (anonymously) online that Enough mentioned was via your bank's bill-pay. The newer LD$-Inc. online donations method is fairly recent.

And yes, you can still hand the bishop/neighborhood IT-Guy an envelope anytime you would like.
Last edited by wtfluff on Tue Nov 30, 2021 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Tue Nov 30, 2021 10:48 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:15 pm
Palerider wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 5:09 pm
Enough 2.0 wrote:

LD$-Inc. has finally realized there is a funny thing called the internet an you can donate online now right on the LD$-Inc. website! (At least 10 years too late...)

The "previous" way to donate (anonymously) online that Enough mentioned was via your bank's bill-pay. Rhe newer LD$-Inc. online donations method is fairly recent.

And yes, you can still hand the bishop/neighborhood IT-Guy an envelope anytime you would like.

Hmmm..

How convenient. 😒

George Washington

stealthbishop

Post by stealthbishop » Wed Dec 01, 2021 7:49 am

As a former bishop, I know that tithing settlement is a busy time and stressful so I made it easy on our bishop and so DW and I just emailed him our status which was partial tithe payers. Next year we will likely pay no tithing at all. DW and I consider both of our money as jointly held but we compromised and only paid tithing on her income. Now that she is basically out we are no longer paying tithing. Another raise in income! The blessings of NOT paying tithing to the church. I have donated to charitable causes that I actually believe need it and actually make a difference.
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:05 am

Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:30 pm
Holy Cow! Look who’s back…

Welcome back stranger. You’ve been missed. Give us an update sometime.
Amen and amen!