Tales of Tithing Settlement

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
2bizE

Re: Tales of Tithing Settlement

Post by 2bizE » Wed Dec 01, 2021 8:47 pm

Two years in a row I have attended or declared. I think the JL church already has sufficient for its needs (the needs of the first presidency I believe is what is requested in DC
~2bizE

hmb

Post by hmb » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:12 am

You don't need to pay tithing any more. Just quote Joseph F Smith, from the 1907 General Conference: "We expect to see the day when we will not have to ask you for one dollar of donation for any purpose... because we will have tithes sufficient in the storehouse of the Lord to pay everything that is needful for... the kingdom of God." Say the church has met that goal :D .

I saw this on Twitter so maybe it's out of context. I haven't looked it up and don't know what's in the ellipsis, but it sounds good to me.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:22 am

hmb wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:12 am
You don't need to pay tithing any more. Just quote Joseph F Smith, from the 1907 General Conference: "We expect to see the day when we will not have to ask you for one dollar of donation for any purpose... because we will have tithes sufficient in the storehouse of the Lord to pay everything that is needful for... the kingdom of God." Say the church has met that goal :D .

I saw this on Twitter so maybe it's out of context. I haven't looked it up and don't know what's in the ellipsis, but it sounds good to me.
I saw the same quote from the Missed in a Sunday School guy’s meme. Problem is, no current prophet in the last 50 years will admit the church has enough funds stashed away.

Tithing and garments are the first and second greatest commandments in the Mormon church.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:26 am

hmb wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:12 am

Here’s the full text and source.

1907 quote in full and source:
https://archive.org/stream/conferencere ... 7/mode/2up

"I want to say to my brethren and sisters here this morning, that in my opinion there never was a time when the members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints were living better lives, were more faithful and more diligent, than they are today. We have various means of judging of this. One very accurate way of knowing is the fact that the law of tithing is being observed. There never has been a time in the history of the Church, I believe, when the law of tithing was observed more universally and more honestly than it has been observed by the Latter-day Saints of late. The tithes of the people during the year 1906, have surpassed the tithing of any other year. This is a good indication that the Latter-day Saints are doing their duty, that they have faith in the Gospel, that they are willing to keep the commandments of God, and that they are working up to the line more faithfully perhaps than ever before. I want to say another thing to you, and I do so by way of congratulation, and that is, that we have, by the blessing of the Lord and the faithfulness of the Saints in paying their tithing, been able to pay off our bonded indebtedness. Today the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints owes not a dollar that it cannot pay at once. At last we are in a position that we can pay as we go. We do not have to borrow any more, and we wont have to if the Latter-day Saints continue to live their religion and observe this law of tithing, It is the law of revenue to the Church.

Furthermore, I want to say to you, we may not be able to reach it right away, but we expect to see the day when we will not have to ask you for one dollar of donation for any purpose, except that which you volunteer to give of your own accord, because we will have tithes sufficient in the storehouse of the Lord to pay everything that is needful for the advancement of the kingdom of God. I want to live to see that day, if the Lord will spare my life. It does not make any difference, though, so far as that is concerned, whether I live or not. That is the true policy, the true purpose of the Lord in the management of the affairs of His Church.

Before I sit down I would like to make another statement. Our enemies have been publishing to the world that the Presidency of the Church and the leading officers are consuming the tithes of the people. Now, I am going to tell you a little secret, and it is this: there is not one of the general authorities in the Church that draws one dollar from the tithes of the people for his own use. Well, you may say, how do they live? I will give you the key: The Church helped to support in its infancy the sugar industry in this country, and it has some means invested in that enterprise. The Church helped to establish Z. C.M.I., and it has a little interest in that, and in some other institutions which pay dividends. In other words, tithing funds were invested in these institutions, which give employment to many, for which the Trustee-in-Trust holds stock certificates, which are worth more today than what was given for them; and the dividends from these investments more than pay for the support of the general authorities of the Church. So we do not use one dollar of your tithing. I thought I would like to tell you that much, so that when you hear men talking about Joseph F. Smith and his associates consuming the tithes of the people you can throw it back into their teeth that they do not use a dollar of the tithing for their support. I would like our "friends," if I might be permitted to use a vulgar expression, to "put that in their pipe and smoke it." (Laughter.)
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:56 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 7:26 am

"This is a good indication that the Latter-day Saints are doing their duty, that they have faith......

.....the dividends from these investments more than pay for the support of the general authorities of the Church. So we do not use one dollar of your tithing. I thought I would like to tell you that much, so that when you hear men talking about Joseph F. Smith and his associates consuming the tithes of the people you can throw it back into their teeth that they do not use a dollar of the tithing for their support."
1. Tithing is not an accurate measurement of righteousness. Just ask the Pharisees.

2. Only an idiot would say that they're not living off your donations after they have taken that tithing money and invested it to aquire more money.

If the individual member had done that with their own money and then claimed that the dividends weren't really a part of their income and therefore they didn't need to pay tithing on it, I feel certain the church would have something to say about that.

This perspective is truly corrupt and the church still uses it today.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Advocate

Post by Advocate » Fri Dec 03, 2021 6:39 am

We had our tithing settlement. The Bishop asked our kids if they knew what the church does with tithing. It took everything in my power to not reply with "they give it their investors to add to the $100 billion dollar pile"!!!

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Fri Dec 03, 2021 9:34 am

We have a new bishop since last tithing settlement, and I just wrote him an email generally explaining why I don't attend, that Sis M would be, but I have real issues with the entire concept of tithing settlement. And apparently, that's fine. So I'm going to do this as long as I can. Which hopefully is never again.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

Angel

Post by Angel » Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:48 am

Palerider wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 5:56 pm

1. Tithing is not an accurate measurement of righteousness. Just ask the Pharisees.

$ Pay to play.

Indulgences alive and well in the Mormon church.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Sun Dec 05, 2021 2:32 pm

Question on tithing. What percentage of each dollar armed in Utah goes to the church? For example, if I earn $1 and pay tithing on it of $.1, and then pay my kid $1 for chores, and he pays $.1, then on that same dollar, the church has earned $.2 or 20%.
~2bizE