Seven Months Down. 53 To Go.

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Just This Guy

Re: Seven Months Down. 53 To Go.

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:30 pm

Even back in my believing days, I never understood the point of in-person tithing settlement in the 21st century. When 90% of the work could be done with a Google form and the ward e-mail list, why waste everyone's time?
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:21 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:30 pm
Even back in my believing days, I never understood the point of in-person tithing settlement in the 21st century. When 90% of the work could be done with a Google form and the ward e-mail list, why waste everyone's time?
Virtual shake-downs don't work anywhere near as well as in-person. :(
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Tangent

Post by Tangent » Mon Dec 06, 2021 6:55 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 3:21 pm
Just This Guy wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 1:30 pm
Virtual shake-downs don't work anywhere near as well as in-person. :(
Yup. This same reasoning is why both callings are extended and TR interviews conducted in person. It's annoying to us NOMmies, but I can see why the church does it. Better results for them.

Angel

Post by Angel » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:15 am

græy wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:53 am
Angel wrote:
Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:32 pm
It has been a challenging few months for all. As a teacher there is some overlap - I have sent some students to therapists, I try to get people to do things they do not really want to do... I have meetings with people from other schools... I work long hours for a "noble" cause. There are dark clouds, but there are silver linings too. Would be good to hear about some of the silver linings in your reports græy.
Thank you for this, Angel. There are silver linings. I've largely been using NOM to blow off steam when the pressure builds so its a lot of the negative that comes out. But you're right, there are silver linings too.

Youth activities are sometimes pretty fun! A few weeks ago we met at a school track field and did javelin throws, long jumps, and a bunch of other events. I was in my suit but participated in all of it anyway right along with the YM, and it was a blast. We also had a campout with zero scouting requirements thrown in. Campfire songs, tents/hammocks, and fishing for anyone who wanted to go. Those that didn't want to fish played capture the flag. It was really a lot of fun for everyone.

I also enjoy helping where real help is needed. Getting food to families who otherwise have none. Arranging Christmas donations for the kids in the those same families, etc.

Even having 1 on 1 chats with some of the older (75+) single sisters of our ward has been very rewarding. I'm surprised how much self-doubt, regret, and guilt many of them are carrying over decisions or circumstances that were really beyond their control. I do my best to tell them that they don't need to feel guilty over anything. That God loves them, accepts them, and they are entitled to feel that love from God and from themselves. And that in the meantime, if they don't feel it, then the rest of us will love them until they do. A few times I've gotten messages a day or two later, letting me know that the conversations have made a difference. I personally don't think my "title" as bishop means anything, but from their perspective hearing something like that from someone in "authority" does mean something. And if I can do that for them, I will.
Campouts without scout forms - heaven on earth. My son has fond memories of some of the youth activities (wish daughters had fond memories too - girls like camping too!). Yes - the end of semester I am handing out lots of compliments and trying to keep people hanging in there to finish drmegree etc. I hate being called "professor", or Dr. - my Dean wants me to use titles so department sounds good, and yes, have to put on the "authority" hat to boost confidence, and pull others up even though we are all just people. That transition - from student to colleague - lower yourself, make mistakes, take advice from students - make them realize we are all valued imperfect people .... some never see themselves as colleague.... just keep trying, a fun journey all around.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

hmb

Post by hmb » Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:58 am

græy wrote:

We also had a campout with zero scouting requirements thrown in. Campfire songs, tents/hammocks, and fishing for anyone who wanted to go. Those that didn't want to fish played capture the flag. It was really a lot of fun for everyone.
No F&T meeting? The only way our YW got to do a campout, other than Camp, was to base it around a F&T meeting. Dinner, F&T meeting, bed, breakfast, head for home, >one hour drive. I was so mad. What would be wrong with campfire fun?

stealthbishop

Post by stealthbishop » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:05 am

hmb wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:58 am
græy wrote:

We also had a campout with zero scouting requirements thrown in. Campfire songs, tents/hammocks, and fishing for anyone who wanted to go. Those that didn't want to fish played capture the flag. It was really a lot of fun for everyone.
No F&T meeting? The only way our YW got to do a campout, other than Camp, was to base it around a F&T meeting. Dinner, F&T meeting, bed, breakfast, head for home, >one hour drive. I was so mad. What would be wrong with campfire fun?
This is one of the things that has gone WAY TOO FAR, to the detriment of the church which is that it has to strongly weave in these spiritual elements constantly. Can't just be fun. When I was a youth back in the 80's it was not like that at all. We got together and had fun and it did not have to have this religious/spiritual element as much. Yes there was a testimony meeting typically with a camp but that's about it. No wonder many youth have NO desire to go to the activities.
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

alas

Post by alas » Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:29 pm

stealthbishop wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:05 am
hmb wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:58 am
græy wrote:

This is one of the things that has gone WAY TOO FAR, to the detriment of the church which is that it has to strongly weave in these spiritual elements constantly. Can't just be fun. When I was a youth back in the 80's it was not like that at all. We got together and had fun and it did not have to have this religious/spiritual element as much. Yes there was a testimony meeting typically with a camp but that's about it. No wonder many youth have NO desire to go to the activities.
Yes, some stick in the mud decided that every church activity had to have a “priesthood purpose” and suddenly the youth activities could not be just to get together and bond as a youth group by having fun. R.S. Activities couldn’t be just to develop Sisterhood, no we nonpriesthood had to have a priesthood purpose. I was in YW presidency or an advisor when things changed and it was a R.E.A.L struggle to get the YW to even tolerate Priesthood Purpose. They were supposed to take part in planning the activities and they would suggest something we had done in the past and we would ask how we could fit a priesthood purpose into it and they looked like someone had suggested a root canal. So, we would cajole there must be some way we can combine that with a spiritual message. They would suggest something else, rinse repeat. We used to have ward Christmas parties with funny skits with the bishop hopping around stage dressed as Rudolph, then Santa with a bag of candy for each child. After “priesthood purpose” the YW were forced into doing a musical number, and so 6 out of 15 YW were up on stage with only two of them even singing, and the other 4 looking down at their shoes or staring angrily at the audience. Yeah, real spiritual. I am sure they went home so uplifted and inspired. The YM of course were supposed to do something, but none of them even showed up at the party.

People need to care about each other in order to share spiritual experiences. It just doesn’t happen among strangers. That was why testimony meeting was saved for the last day of camp, so the youth could bond with each other. Then the spiritual experience was meaningful. So, when the church decided that church didn’t need to be “entertaining” and activities didn’t need to be fun, suddenly the spirituality felt forced and false, because it was forced and false.