Street Epistemology and Mormonism

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

Street Epistemology and Mormonism

Post by Hagoth » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:00 am

Anybody following the street epistemology series with Anthony Magnabosco on Mormon Stories? Here's the link (so I don't have to make Moksha do it for me!): https://www.mormonstories.org/podcast/s ... mormonism/

It's another MS marathon, so it's going to take me a while to get through it in 45 minute chunks (morning run), but the first episode is very tantalizing. I am so looking forward to the interaction with Shawn McCraney (4th episode - not available yet).
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Re: Street Epistemology and Mormonism

Post by moksha » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:34 pm

I wonder if there will be an official LDS response to this, such as, "Don't explore the reasons you believe".
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:25 am

moksha wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:34 pm
I wonder if there will be an official LDS response to this, such as, "Don't explore the reasons you believe".
Doubt your mind.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:40 pm

There are some very interesting outcomes in the McCraney episode.

Anybody else listening to this?

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:37 pm

I watched most of part 1 where Magnabosco has a discussion with the missionaries and then with a young LDS gospel. Then I watched most of part 4 with Shawn McCraney. I think I've can appreciate both Street Epistemology and Shawn McCraney's somewhat independent Christian view.
I would agree with most of it.
For me, authority is trumped by feelings, which is trumped by Truth, which is trumped by Love. But I could be wrong.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:51 am

deacon blues wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 7:37 pm
For me, authority is trumped by feelings, which is trumped by Truth, which is trumped by Love. But I could be wrong.
Beautiful.

I don't know McCraney, but I can't take him seriously when he says that without his faith in Jesus he would be a murderer, wife-stealer, and drug addict. I hear this kind of thing in testimony meeting too. If someone says something like that I believe they are either 1) creating a fantasy scarecrow version of themselves to make their conversion narrative more compelling, 2) creating a fantasy scarecrow version of themselves to convince them that they really NEED to maintain their faith, or 2) they are a really bad person who is just holding it together and who could snap at the slightest provocation - and who should be avoided at all costs.

But I don't for a moment believe Shawn when he says that about himself. I bet if he lost his faith in Jesus he would continue being a decent and caring person. If not, then he is a phoney, but I don't think he is. I think he has developed this black-and-white story over time because it best fits his needs.

Making that claim did immediately put the brakes on conversation, so maybe that was his intent, but I don't think it was. I wish Magnobosco had considered it hyperbole and taken the conversation a bit further but I understand why he did what he did, and more power to him.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:31 am

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:40 pm
There are some very interesting outcomes in the McCraney episode.

Anybody else listening to this?
Yep.

Spent way too much time traveling the last few days and made it through most of these episodes.

These have been fascinating for me. I usually want Dehlin to do more editing, or at least attempt to move things along at a better "pace," but most of these episodes have left me wanting more.

Of course I'm a bit of a Mangnabosco admirer to begin with, but I don't think I have anywhere near the restraint to attempt to be a "Street Epistemologist" with anyone, let alone any believing family members. For example: McCraney's "Road to Damascus" incident: Once I learn "that" from him, there's no way I could restrain myself from asking: "If there truly is a loving, caring deity out there that "needs" us to believe, why does that deity only reveal it's self to an extremely miniscule select few like McCraney?" I don't think questions like that are kosher in the Street Epistemology sense; And of course, McCraney would have no problem answering that question with "I don't know" which honestly makes me respect him. I think most of my exposure to McCraney was back in his antagonistic/argumentative phase, and the McCraney chatting with Maganabosco has changed immensely since then.

I also like your take on McCraney's "reason" for his belief Hagoth. Again, it would be fun to call him out and say: "You sound exactly like a mormon in testimony meeting saying they would be on the "Hookers and Blow" side of skid-row without MORMONISM; What's the difference?"
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:35 am

I thought John and Carah did an amazing roleplaying job and hitting all the right buttons. Anyone listening from a TBM point of view would conclude that John and Carah were speaking with the spirit and that poor Anthony has been deceived by Satan and so-called science and logic. I was listening, not watching, so I can't comment on the degree to which his countenance was fallen.