Talk Help

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
2bizE

Re: Talk Help

Post by 2bizE » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:45 pm

How did the talk go? Return and report please.
~2bizE

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:55 am

2bizE wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:45 pm
How did the talk go? Return and report please.
She said this up thread.
Welp, my talk has been canceled due to me catching COVID and having to isolate/quarantine. The past two days were rough, but I am on the mend.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I would have replied sooner, but was out of commission until today.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Dec 27, 2021 8:03 am

hallew wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:19 pm
Welp, my talk has been canceled due to me catching COVID and having to isolate/quarantine. The past two days were rough, but I am on the mend.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I would have replied sooner, but was out of commission until today.

I'm not sure if I'll be asked to keep my options or given some other topic. If they give me something else I may need your assistance again.
Small miracles? Not saying getting covid is good. At least there is a silver lining in a way...

I think I speak for every one when I say we hope you fell better soon and make a full recovery.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

hallew

Post by hallew » Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:22 am

There I was laying in bed at 9:30 last night when my phone started ringing with an unknown number. I didn't answer because I always figure if it's important the person/solicitor will leave a message. Well, it was the bishop asking me to call him back. Of course I had an anxiety spike since I had no idea why he was calling me. My husband suggested I call him back or I wouldn't be able to sleep. He was calling to ask if I could give a talk this upcoming Sunday since one of the speakers had to bail for health reasons. I get to have the same options as before, but now I roughly have 10 minutes instead of 15.

I think I am still leaning towards: How living the gospel can help us deal with adversity

If I can focus on OT & NT without references to the Temple, following (lds) prophets, BOM, D&C, doctrine specific to LDS, etc. I think I will be alright.

BTW I totally had a dream last night about giving a talk. I don't remember much except I kept looking at the clock on the wall to determine if I needed to talk slower or faster. :lol:

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:07 pm

Congrats!

I’m sure your talk will be awesome.

Let us know how it goes.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

hallew

Post by hallew » Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:42 pm

I survived the talk and it was well received. I was able to stay within my boundaries.

I used the OT & NT for reference. I spoke about the historicity of the word adversity and how it’s creation mimics real life. I touched on Adam and Eve, Psalms 23 (thanks Wonderment), Christ’s teachings, and the atonement and how we can deal with adversity using them as a tool.

This was the hardest/most time-consuming talk I have ever had to complete. I think there are a few different reasons why.
1.) I didn’t regurgitate or use a church leader’s talk—all from yours truly so I had to research
2.) It’s been almost 5 years since I gave a talk
3.) Having a faith transition of sorts and having boundaries can create more obstacles

My mom watched via zoom and told me she recorded me—if I wanted to watch. That was a hard pass.

Oh and on Saturday while I was working on my talk—that I was stressed out about—I received a call asking if I could teach the YW lesson the next day. The person teaching was on their way to get tested for COVID and all the other leaders were out of town on a temple trip. I said, of course and I would probably be winging it—they were happy, even if I was winging it. The lesson went well. Now I can breath for a little while; at least related to church stuff.

Linked

Post by Linked » Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:43 pm

Nice job Hallew! Sounds like you nailed it. Talks from the heart are harder to prepare, but more rewarding to share.

That was nice of you to also cover in YW too.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut