Talk Help

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
User avatar
hallew
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:19 am

Talk Help

Post by hallew » Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:48 am

Back track to earlier this year around Easter when my aunt suddenly died from an aneurism and a week later a friend died from brain cancer which was followed by a faith crises. All my church shelves crashed at once and it was not pretty. Never saw myself having to see a therapist due to a religious breakdown, but things happen. I’m now in a better place—I’m probably considered PIMO at this point. I see the church in the same sense it sees other religions—it has some truth. With that being said I was asked to give a talk (I hadn’t since early 2019—lucky me). I told the bishopric member that I was available that day to talk, but I wanted to know in advance since there were topics in church I did not feel comfortable talking about and would not. He asked what and since he wanted to avoid them. Since my biggest issue in church is polygamy that’s what I blurted (there are others). Yeah; he was probably caught off guard. Anyways, he texted me two topics to choose from to give a 10 minute talk. Now I need your guidance.

Talk options:

1.) Becoming steadfast in the gospel of Christ
OR
2.) How living the gospel can help us deal with adversity

Since I have set boundaries and will no longer give talks/lessons on things I no longer believe to be true; I get to find more interesting ways to accomplish assignments/goals.

Is there a way I can just focus on either the New and/or Old Testament for sources for either of these topics and avoid the gospel in reference to the church, BOM, D&C, LDS prophets/leaders? I mean I still believe in Christ and do love the New Testament.

TIA!!!

User avatar
stealthbishop
Posts: 351
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2018 9:25 am

Re: Talk Help

Post by stealthbishop » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:00 am

Absolutely you can focus on the NT or OT. In fact, since OT will be taught in SS next year you can use that as a reason (again not that you even need a reason).
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

User avatar
Red Ryder
Posts: 3776
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:14 pm

Re: Talk Help

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:49 pm

Say whatever you want.

They only cut the Mic if you’re publicly coming out of the closet. :lol:

Seriously though, what are your thoughts that are worth sharing?
“I switched baristas” —Lady Gaga

Those who do not move do not notice their chains. —Rosa Luxemburg

User avatar
Palerider
Posts: 2130
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:44 am

Re: Talk Help

Post by Palerider » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:57 pm

I would pick the "adversity" talk.

Whether it's poor church teaching or just some sort of lousy church culture thing I think adversity is one of the more poorly understood experiences we have to deal with in this life and the church's understanding doesn't really help all that much. It may actually make things worse.

This would actually be a great opportunity to teach a more correct understanding of adversity and to also relieve some of the unnecessary burden and tension that members carry because of poor doctrine.

Feel free to p.m. me if you want some additional insights or supportive Biblical scripture.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

User avatar
Just This Guy
Posts: 1385
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:30 pm
Location: Almost Heaven

Re: Talk Help

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:33 pm

You can always completely ignore the topics given and talk about whatever you want. Just say that the spirit moved you such that you had to talk about something else.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

User avatar
Palerider
Posts: 2130
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:44 am

Re: Talk Help

Post by Palerider » Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:34 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:33 pm
You can always completely ignore the topics given and talk about whatever you want. Just say that the spirit moved you such that you had to talk about something else.
This would be one way of insuring that you won't be asked to speak again.....at least until you get a new Bishop who doesn't know you.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

User avatar
Just This Guy
Posts: 1385
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:30 pm
Location: Almost Heaven

Re: Talk Help

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:27 pm

Palerider wrote:
Just This Guy wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:33 pm
You can always completely ignore the topics given and talk about whatever you want. Just say that the spirit moved you such that you had to talk about something else.
This would be one way of insuring that you won't be asked to speak again.....at least until you get a new Bishop who doesn't know you.
And that is a bad thing...?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

User avatar
moksha
Posts: 4471
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:22 am

Re: Talk Help

Post by moksha » Mon Dec 13, 2021 6:58 pm

Weaving some thoughts from the bishop's suggested topics should be easy. A lot of good charitable thoughts can flow from those topics.

Here are two interesting topics for those looking to give a church talk:

1. God's grace through a good liberal education
2. Loving "the other" through a vibrant democracy
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

User avatar
Palerider
Posts: 2130
Joined: Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:44 am

Re: Talk Help

Post by Palerider » Mon Dec 13, 2021 7:30 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:27 pm
Palerider wrote:
Just This Guy wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:33 pm
You can always completely ignore the topics given and talk about whatever you want. Just say that the spirit moved you such that you had to talk about something else.
This would be one way of insuring that you won't be asked to speak again.....at least until you get a new Bishop who doesn't know you.
And that is a bad thing...?
8-)
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

User avatar
Hagoth
Posts: 6298
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:13 pm

Re: Talk Help

Post by Hagoth » Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:04 am

hallew wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:48 am
1.) Becoming steadfast in the gospel of Christ
OR
2.) How living the gospel can help us deal with adversity
Although both of these mention the gospel, neither mentions the church. You might consider the gospel and the church entirely different things. You could talk about how "the gospel" (simple things Jesus taught) are more helpful than worrying about all of the OCD rules and regulations the church(s) has attached to it.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

User avatar
Just This Guy
Posts: 1385
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:30 pm
Location: Almost Heaven

Re: Talk Help

Post by Just This Guy » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:06 am

Hagoth wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:04 am
hallew wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 8:48 am
1.) Becoming steadfast in the gospel of Christ
OR
2.) How living the gospel can help us deal with adversity
Although both of these mention the gospel, neither mentions the church. You might consider the gospel and the church entirely different things. You could talk about how "the gospel" (simple things Jesus taught) are more helpful than worrying about all of the OCD rules and regulations the church(s) has attached to it.
You could start with the story where Jesus says that there are really only 2 commandments. Love your God and love your neighbor. The rest all grow from there. Also there is the scripture where is says that a man should not be told in all things.

Too many commandments and you turn into a Pharisee.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

User avatar
2bizE
Posts: 2304
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:33 pm

Re: Talk Help

Post by 2bizE » Tue Dec 14, 2021 1:42 pm

I think option 2 is easier. You can talk about how using gospel concepts from a Christian life can help you better address adversity….

If I were giving this talk, I would probably go off on how Satan was introduced into Christianity from Zoroastrianism/dualism, and that Satan really doesn’t exist…oops, that may cause problems.
~2bizE

User avatar
wtfluff
Posts: 3347
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:20 pm
Location: Worshiping Gravity / Pulling Taffy

Re: Talk Help

Post by wtfluff » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:55 pm

It's December.

Ignore the requested topics and give some floofy talk about Christmas.

Make sure to mention that Christmas is a plagiarized "holiday" stolen from pagans; and that "real" members of tCOJCOL-dS should actually celebrate Christmas on April 6th. :lol:


Thank the stars for ~23.5 degrees of axial tilt, and Hail Sagan! :twisted:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

Keep the company of those who seek the truth - run from those who have found it -Václav Havel

The Beauty of Gray

User avatar
MoPag
Posts: 3298
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:05 pm

Re: Talk Help

Post by MoPag » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:24 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:55 pm
It's December.

Ignore the requested topics and give some floofy talk about Christmas.

Make sure to mention that Christmas is a plagiarized "holiday" stolen from pagans; and that "real" members of tCOJCOL-dS should actually celebrate Christmas on April 6th. :lol:


Thank the stars for ~23.5 degrees of axial tilt, and Hail Sagan! :twisted:

:lol:
Yes do this!!! Teach the true Pagan meaning of Christmas. Then tell them Jesus's true birthday can't be dec 25th because there is NO way a Capricorn would die for anyone's sins.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Wonderment
Posts: 414
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:38 pm

Re: Talk Help

Post by Wonderment » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:05 am

Lots of good suggestions on this thread ! If you want to talk about adversity, you can use the NT or OT exclusively by referencing a lot of stories and parables. For example - Psalms 23, Daniel in the lion's den, David facing adversity by battling Goliath, and so forth. You don't have to say anything about BOM, the church, etc, if it makes you uncomfortable. Just reference the Bible.
Give a talk that you are comfortable with, and it will turn out better. As NOM's, we spend so much time being uncomfortable, being forced to say things that really don't resonate with us, and to which we object. Avoid that - just find examples in the Bible of what you believe. - Wndr.

Reuben
Posts: 1455
Joined: Sat Oct 28, 2017 3:01 pm

Re: Talk Help

Post by Reuben » Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:21 pm

MoPag wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:24 pm
wtfluff wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:55 pm
It's December.

Ignore the requested topics and give some floofy talk about Christmas.

Make sure to mention that Christmas is a plagiarized "holiday" stolen from pagans; and that "real" members of tCOJCOL-dS should actually celebrate Christmas on April 6th. :lol:


Thank the stars for ~23.5 degrees of axial tilt, and Hail Sagan! :twisted:

:lol:
Yes do this!!! Teach the true Pagan meaning of Christmas. Then tell them Jesus's true birthday can't be dec 25th because there is NO way a Capricorn would die for anyone's sins.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Learn to doubt the stories you tell about yourselves and your adversaries.

User avatar
Not Buying It
Posts: 1294
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:29 pm

Re: Talk Help

Post by Not Buying It » Thu Dec 16, 2021 6:26 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:33 pm
You can always completely ignore the topics given and talk about whatever you want. Just say that the spirit moved you such that you had to talk about something else.
Yeah, just talk about whatever you want. No one will notice, probably not even the Bishop. I don't know why speakers always announce "I was asked to talk about XYZ..." - nobody cares. Nobody cares what you were asked to talk about, nobody really cares what you do talk about. 99% of the time they are just trying to get through another soul-crushingly boring meeting. They'll care if you ruffle some feathers, they might notice if you do a fabulous job, but on the whole the overwhelming reaction will be indifference. Most of them will forget anything you say in a matter of minutes.

You are thinking about this too much. Talk about whatever you feel like talking about. It doesn't matter.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

User avatar
hallew
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:19 am

Re: Talk Help

Post by hallew » Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:19 pm

Welp, my talk has been canceled due to me catching COVID and having to isolate/quarantine. The past two days were rough, but I am on the mend.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I would have replied sooner, but was out of commission until today.

I'm not sure if I'll be asked to keep my options or given some other topic. If they give me something else I may need your assistance again.

User avatar
Red Ryder
Posts: 3776
Joined: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:14 pm

Re: Talk Help

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:38 pm

hallew wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:19 pm
Welp, my talk has been canceled due to me catching COVID and having to isolate/quarantine. The past two days were rough, but I am on the mend.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I would have replied sooner, but was out of commission until today.

I'm not sure if I'll be asked to keep my options or given some other topic. If they give me something else I may need your assistance again.
Glad to hear you’re on the mend and don’t have to talk.

Here’s a great post from when MoPag had to give a talk.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3139

In quiet hushed tones: how’s your testimony? 😀
“I switched baristas” —Lady Gaga

Those who do not move do not notice their chains. —Rosa Luxemburg

User avatar
MoPag
Posts: 3298
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:05 pm

Re: Talk Help

Post by MoPag » Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:14 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:38 pm
hallew wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:19 pm
Welp, my talk has been canceled due to me catching COVID and having to isolate/quarantine. The past two days were rough, but I am on the mend.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I would have replied sooner, but was out of commission until today.

I'm not sure if I'll be asked to keep my options or given some other topic. If they give me something else I may need your assistance again.
Glad to hear you’re on the mend and don’t have to talk.

Here’s a great post from when MoPag had to give a talk.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3139

In quiet hushed tones: how’s your testimony? 😀
Awe Red, I totally forget about this! Thanks for posting it.

Glad you're feeling better hallew!!
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests