New Hymn book announced!

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Palerider

New Hymn book announced!

Post by Palerider » Thu Dec 16, 2021 9:17 pm

For all you kids out there who've been complaining about church hymns, here's your chance to help with the new Hymnal set to come out in a couple of years. Apparently this may upset some saints in the Morcor.

https://www.sltrib.com/religion/2018/06 ... -children/
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

nibbler

Re: New Hymn book announced!

Post by nibbler » Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:52 am

This was first announced back in June of 2018, which is also when the article was posted.

It's been a couple of years, 3.5 years.

Where dat hymnbook at?
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:40 am

Please tell me In A Godda Da Vida finally made it in!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:49 am

nibbler wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:52 am
This was first announced back in June of 2018, which is also when the article was posted.

It's been a couple of years, 3.5 years.

Where dat hymnbook at?
I didn't know that.

Is this their way of compensating for missing a deadline?

Just pretend the first one never happened and then re-announce?
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

George Washington

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:24 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:40 am
There's a Simpsons version of that with slightly different lyrics sung at Ned Flanders church. It goes "In the garden of Eden . . ."

They also revised the handbook so that my instrument isn't summarily considered "inappropriate" for sacrament meeting. Some ward needs to push the envelope full with a full on worship band.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Fri Dec 17, 2021 7:21 pm

DPRoberts wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:24 pm
Hagoth wrote:
There's a Simpsons version of that with slightly different lyrics sung at Ned Flanders church. It goes "In the garden of Eden . . ."

They also revised the handbook so that my instrument isn't summarily considered "inappropriate" for sacrament meeting. Some ward needs to push the envelope full with a full on worship band.
Here it is:
https://youtu.be/ulDC1w1ydLI
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:13 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Or the Choir at Temple Square singing the Frank Sinatra song She's Having Our Baby.

I imagine songs that would have a theological conflict with the LDS Church, such as Amazing Grace, will not make the cut.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Fri Dec 17, 2021 11:50 pm

moksha wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:13 pm
Or the Choir at Temple Square singing the Frank Sinatra song She's Having Our Baby.
I know, it's pedantic but I'm pretty sure that was Paul Anka. I don't think Sinatra ever covered that.

But it would be interesting to hear the Choir give a rendition of Strangers in the Night. :shock:

George Washington

hmb

Post by hmb » Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:49 am

Are the hymn books the same world wide? Seems they could leave the patriotic stuff in the USA books.

I remember, years ago, when the new primary songbook came out and my mom was livid that they left out Give Said the Little Stream. I thought she may leave the church. Hahahaha.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Dec 18, 2021 7:37 am

hmb wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 6:49 am
I remember, years ago, when the new primary songbook came out and my mom was livid that they left out Give Said the Little Stream. I thought she may leave the church. Hahahaha.
I suppose they have left out Book of Mormon Stories too, now that we can't find the Lamanites anymore? It would be really clumsy to cram "were among the ancestors" into a single quarter note.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."