Christmas Sacrament Meeting Program - Fun to see culture shifting

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Advocate

Christmas Sacrament Meeting Program - Fun to see culture shifting

Post by Advocate » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:47 am

Our ward had our Christmas sacrament meeting program yesterday, and it showed church culture is changing. The program was a mix of 5 musical numbers and 4 talks. Two of the musical numbers were different from what is typically done.

The first musical number was a group of primary boys singing "What Child is This" and being accompanied by a sister on the guitar. Kind of a nice surprise to see a guitar being played in sacrament meeting.

The final musical number was "When you Believe", which is from the animated "Prince of Egypt" movie. The song was done very dramatically, with the piano being very loud and dramatic in some parts. The biggest surprise is in a part of a song the singers and piano went quiet, and then a sister started playing a violin in the back of the chapel. She walked back and forth up and down the aisles while playing the violin solo, and then walked up to the stand (all while playing) and the singers and piano joined in to finish the song. I have never seen something like this done in sacrament meeting, but I thought it was a very nice change from the typical somber hymns.

I guess I'm writing to celebrate this small win. I'm thoroughly entrenched in the church and think it is unlikely that I will ever stop attending due to my wife's belief and wishes. So I celebrate changes in church culture to drag the church out of the 1960's IBM culture that most members seem to believe is "the one true" culture.

A member of the stake presidency was on the stand during all of this. It will be interesting to see if there is any blowback. It was the same sister that played the guitar and the violin (apparently she is pretty talented); I hope she doesn't get discouraged if she gets any criticism or pushback.

Red Ryder

Re: Christmas Sacrament Meeting Program - Fun to see culture shifting

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:27 am

The latest handbook update allows for more musical options so there shouldn’t be any pushback. :D
Chapter 19 (“Music”) has information about using culturally diverse music styles and instruments other than a piano and organ. “Sacred music that is written or sung in culturally diverse musical styles may help unify congregations,” the text says. “Music coordinators and priesthood leaders may include a variety of appropriate musical styles that appeal to members of various backgrounds.”
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

stealthbishop

Post by stealthbishop » Mon Dec 20, 2021 1:12 pm

That is a good news anecdotally and also structurally with that change in the handbook. Good leaders should run with that. It would really help SM become more inviting.
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:48 pm

Chapter 19 (“Music”) has information about using culturally diverse music styles and instruments other than a piano and organ. “Sacred music that is written or sung in culturally diverse musical styles may help unify congregations,” the text says. “Music coordinators and priesthood leaders may include a variety of appropriate musical styles that appeal to members of various backgrounds.”

If only Rock Of Ages from Def Leppard's hymn book were covered under this statement... The "various backgrounds" part should cover every kind of music, eh?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Wonderment

Post by Wonderment » Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:59 am

The final musical number was "When you Believe", which is from the animated "Prince of Egypt" movie. The song was done very dramatically, with the piano being very loud and dramatic in some parts. The biggest surprise is in a part of a song the singers and piano went quiet, and then a sister started playing a violin in the back of the chapel. She walked back and forth up and down the aisles while playing the violin solo, and then walked up to the stand (all while playing) and the singers and piano joined in to finish the song. I have never seen something like this done in sacrament meeting, but I thought it was a very nice change from the typical somber hymns.

I guess I'm writing to celebrate this small win. I'm thoroughly entrenched in the church and think it is unlikely that I will ever stop attending due to my wife's belief and wishes. So I celebrate changes in church culture to drag the church out of the 1960's IBM culture that most members seem to believe is "the one true" culture.
As a suggestion, if you have a chance, you might want to mention to the sister that you appreciated the touch of creativity in the music. It's doubtful that anyone else in the ward would think to mention or even to say thank you, as most wards are used to the stultifying dullness of the usual somber dirges. Because creativity or innovation is so frowned upon, most ward members are hesitant to mention it. If the sister leaves the ward, the music will lapse back into the somber dirges.

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:40 am

Wonderment wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:59 am
As a suggestion, if you have a chance, you might want to mention to the sister that you appreciated the touch of creativity in the music. It's doubtful that anyone else in the ward would think to mention or even to say thank you, as most wards are used to the stultifying dullness of the usual somber dirges.
Yes, good things should be praised!
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Mackman

Post by Mackman » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:47 am

I'm all for change and hope it continues throughout the church, imo the church MUST change or it is going to die a slow miserable death !!!