Harry Reid Died

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
moksha

Harry Reid Died

Post by moksha » Tue Dec 28, 2021 8:44 pm

Former Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid died at age 82. Harry was a member of the LDS Church who lived in Nevada. He was continually reviled by Mormons in Utah for political reasons. Never understood his reasons for remaining a Mormon considering the grief he took from his fellow members. Politically (and socially in Washington), this affiliation was an albatross around his neck. However, he went to church on Sunday and remained faithful.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

stealthbishop

Re: Harry Reid Died

Post by stealthbishop » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:26 pm

I remember my very conservative mother (may she also rest in peace) wanting Harry Reid excommunicated for his political beliefs.

My sense is that he saw the Book of Mormon as a progressive scripture that spoke to him about poverty (which he grew up in) and the need to take action to alleviate it. I have a memory of him saying so. This of course is completely at odds with how most LDS see their scriptures especially in a political context. But I think he did and it informed his politics.
Last edited by stealthbishop on Mon Jan 03, 2022 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

Evil_Bert

Post by Evil_Bert » Wed Dec 29, 2021 4:55 pm

Brother Reid was extremely unpopular outside of Vegas. I remember a regional conference that he attended. Pres. Hinckley asked him to speak and there was an audible groan from the 5 or 6 thousand attendees.
Illegitimi non carborundum.

hmb

Post by hmb » Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:26 am

A good example of how we are told to vote our conscience......as long as your conscience agrees with the church. Let the consequence follow.

fetchface

Post by fetchface » Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:52 am

I grew up in Vegas and Harry Reid would attend priesthood opening exercises in random wards during campaign season. He landed in ours one week. Didn't say anything but I think he was just there to remind people that he was Mormon.

I voted for him once before I really started to get politically brainwashed by talk radio.
Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas
My blog: http://untanglingmybrain.blogspot.com/