I would write about life

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Linked

I would write about life

Post by Linked » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:43 pm

I re-read "Breakfast of Champions" by Kurt Vonnegut recently. Okay, I listened to it, but close enough. What a filthy and honest book. Vonnegut likes to write directly from author to reader in portions of his books, in one portion of this book he discusses what he thinks is wrong in America and how he decided to write in his honest style. A portion of that section says:
Kurt Vonnegut wrote:I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order
This sings to my soul. Everyone is seeking to make sense of the world, to bring order to the chaos, but far more often than not in our quest for order we deny reality. We damn ourselves to living in a fake world constructed around us and we won't let ourselves out of it. Sometimes reality shoves it's nose in and breaks a bit of our constructed world bringing chaos, but we quickly patch it up with some more order that may or may not be true.

And to go along with that, humanity and life are beautiful and worth knowing and understanding, from babies to farmers to businessmen to kings; from quarks to black holes; from microbes to blue whales. They each have their story, none are more or less important than the other, none more or less worth telling. So tell it all. Learn it all. Love it all.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

No Tof

Re: I would write about life

Post by No Tof » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:23 pm

Good thoughts.

The older and more honest I get, the more I find life is messy, hard to understand and chaotic. That is where the joy and awe is too. There can be calm in the storm if we just are curious about what is really happening.

Thanks for sharing.
Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and right doing, there is a field. I'll meet you there.
Rumi