Page 1 of 2

Fight The New Drug

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:24 am
by Bonfire
Pornography is a drug that destroys love.

Nobody with lust or an adulterous heart can witness pornography without falling prey to this most pernicious sin.

There is art and there is pornography. A statue or a painting can also be pornographic if one's intent is sexual. Even Facebook, Instagram, books, or your own reflection can be addicting.

Both creating and consuming pornographic content (eg. photos, videos, stories) is the new drug.

Fight the new drug!
Https://FightTheNewDrug.org

Re: Fight The New Drug

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:23 am
by Just This Guy
You are aware that most of the claims by "Fight the New Drug" are thoroughly debunked by actual science? There remaining claims are greatly exaggerated. Their claims are little more than using religious dogma to justify potentially harmful pseudoscience.

What's there something a while back that the organization got a lot of their funding though the More Good Foundation? A back channel for LDinc. to support various political causes while they officially keep their hands clean.

https://archive.sltrib.com/article.php? ... type=CMSID
https://medium.com/@HARLOT/fight-the-ne ... 0c935bd4f3

Re: Fight The New Drug

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:31 am
by hmb
Good points. Probably should keep carrots, cucumbers, and bananas behind the store counter. Have you seen some of those memes out there?

Anything can be a drug. Any activity or hobby is someone's unhealthy obsession, leading to addiction and destruction. From food to plastic surgery, there is healthy enjoyment for some and unhealthy addiction for others. Porn is no different. I never understood the attraction of porn, gambling, or botox, but I do understand an obsession and a general addiction to overeating. I've struggled with it all my adult life. Guess I better fight food. A healthy amount will lead to a downward spiral.

Re: Fight The New Drug

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:17 am
by Jeffret
There's also nothing new about it.

Here's some 8,000 year old porn from a cave wall: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FIOBdCLX0AA ... me=900x900

And it isn't a drug.

FtND is completely wrong in every single way.

Re: Fight The New Drug

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:34 am
by Jeffret
Jeffret wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:17 am
There's also nothing new about it.

Here's some 8,000 year old porn from a cave wall: https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FIOBdCLX0AA ... me=900x900

And it isn't a drug.

FtND is completely wrong in every single way.
I'm beginning to think FtND does this on purpose, so that if you'll believe these sorts of things, then you'll believe the rest of the misinformation they spew.

Re: Fight The New Drug

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:45 am
by Hagoth
I'm not sure you can fight porn. You can educate yourself and your family about it.

I remember one anti-porn campaign with lots of videos of guys speaking out against porn and they all had a tone of "I got caught and I'm trying to save my relationship." Some of the videos actually had the wife or girlfriend next to him giving him the evil-eye.

Re: Fight The New Drug

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:00 am
by annotatedbom
Religious and spiritual experiences activate the brain reward circuits in much the same way as love, sex, gambling, drugs and music, report researchers at the University of Utah School of Medicine.
(This is Your Brain on God)
Just sayin'

Re: Fight The New Drug

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:52 am
by Bonfire
Do not worship the human form, man or woman, or any beast or thing, instead of worshipping the living God.

Everything on Earth is a tool and a gift. To bow to any other person or thing is dishonoring the creator.

Give reverence to God in all things and for all creation.

How many elders in the church refuse to stand for righteousness without permission from their spouse?

How many women fear their husbands more than God?

Do we make sacrifices for our children or the Almighty?

Re: Fight The New Drug

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:46 am
by wtfluff
Mmmmmmm, Drugs... ( <- I typed that with my "Homer Simpson" fingers.)

I like DRUGS!

Too bad porn isn't a drug... I guess I'll just stick with my caffeine. :|

Re: Fight The New Drug

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:06 am
by Jeffret
Bonfire wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 9:52 am
Do we make sacrifices for ... the Almighty?
Heavens no. Sounds like a pitiful bronze-age mythical god.

Re: Fight The New Drug

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:23 pm
by fetchface
Jeffret wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:06 am
Heavens no. Sounds like a pitiful bronze-age mythical god.
Robert Ingersoll wrote: If you find the institution of slavery upheld in a book said to have been written by God, what would you expect to find in a book inspired by the devil?
Bonfire, what are your thoughts on God endorsing slavery in the bible? Why should we obey an obviously immoral God?

Re: Fight The New Drug

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:00 pm
by Bonfire
This thread is about the new drug, pronography.

If you want to speak of slavery or the various types of sacrifices not limited to bronze-age animal sacrifices, then we can talk about cheese, burgers, cheeseburgers and animal abuse in another thread.

Does your captured soul cry slavery inside your body?

Re: Fight The New Drug

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:11 pm
by fetchface
So, you asked (in this thread) if we should sacrifice for God. I'm simply playing off of that. Should we sacrifice for God? Does he deserve it?

But hey, looks like you just want to preach past us instead of really telling us what you think. :roll: I just want to know how you know God is worth worshipping. Then, I'd like to know how you know the mind of God wrt "The New Drug."

But hey, if that's too hard to answer, feel free to continue to deflect. :lol:

Re: Fight The New Drug

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:29 pm
by annotatedbom
fetchface wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:11 pm
So, you asked (in this thread) if we should sacrifice for God. I'm simply playing off of that. Should we sacrifice for God? Does he deserve it?

But hey, looks like you just want to preach past us instead of really telling us what you think. :roll: I just want to know how you know God is worth worshipping. Then, I'd like to know how you know the mind of God wrt "The New Drug."

But hey, if that's too hard to answer, feel free to continue to deflect. :lol:
Yeah, Bonfire, I'm trying to give you the benefit of the doubt, but your response to fetchface comes across to me as if you either understood the point and ignored it, or really had no idea what was being said. I'm not trying to berate you. I hope my take on this might help you engage in a way that's more productive.

Peace amigo(a),
A-BoM

Re: Fight The New Drug

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:30 pm
by dogbite
I understand a religious objection to porn. But if you're talking to an audience of divergent views, you need an argument that reaches your audience.

The religious argument has no weight for me since I disagree with the premises the argument is based on.

Do you have a non religious argument? Ftnd really doesn't. Sure, the brain responds to arousing content. We agree. But why is that wrong?

Re: Fight The New Drug

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:56 pm
by Bonfire
dogbite wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:30 pm
I understand a religious objection to porn. But if you're talking to an audience of divergent views, you need an argument that reaches your audience.

The religious argument has no weight for me since I disagree with the premises the argument is based on.

Do you have a non religious argument? Ftnd really doesn't. Sure, the brain responds to arousing content. We agree. But why is that wrong?
Activating parts of the brain repeatedly can lead to addiction which distracts us and spends our time away from building, worshipping, and creating a world to be enjoyed outside of staring at sexual content and self gratification. Spending sexual energy on inanimate images or explicit content destroys the bonds of love necessary to support healthy families and future generations.
fetchface wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 2:11 pm
So, you asked (in this thread) if we should sacrifice for God. I'm simply playing off of that. Should we sacrifice for God? Does he deserve it?
God has asked us to rest and obey commandments given to us only for our benefit, like don't commit adultery or lie or honor your parents so you don't get cut off from plain historic truths and end up dying in lonely ignorance.

Do you deserve it?
fetchface wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:23 pm
Jeffret wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:06 am
Heavens no. Sounds like a pitiful bronze-age mythical god.
Robert Ingersoll wrote: If you find the institution of slavery upheld in a book said to have been written by God, what would you expect to find in a book inspired by the devil?
Bonfire, what are your thoughts on God endorsing slavery in the bible? Why should we obey an obviously immoral God?
Why do you think slavery is an indication of immorality? Is the addict to the new drug free?

Re: Fight The New Drug

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:08 pm
by Hagoth
Bonfire, I'm wondering what is your motivation for bringing this up here. Are you addressing your personal struggle with porn and asking us for support, or are you concerned that the members of the NOM board are in particular need of this message?

Re: Fight The New Drug

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:34 pm
by Jeffret
Bonfire wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:56 pm
Activating parts of the brain repeatedly can lead to addiction
That's a rather outdated and incorrect characterization.

Actually, Fight the New Drug and the Mormon Church lead to increased "addiction". (The quotes are on purpose and meaningful in light of better understanding of what addiction really is.)

Re: Fight The New Drug

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:25 pm
by dogbite
Bonfire wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:56 pm

Activating parts of the brain repeatedly can lead to addiction which distracts us and spends our time away from building, worshipping, and creating a world to be enjoyed outside of staring at sexual content and self gratification. Spending sexual energy on inanimate images or explicit content destroys the bonds of love necessary to support healthy families and future generations.
The addiction argument isn't in evidence. The building worshipping and creating a world aren't universal values neither are they precluded by porn. Nor is the damage to relationships established generally and certainly not universally.

Re: Fight The New Drug

Posted: Fri Jan 14, 2022 8:19 pm
by 2bizE
To religion a drug is anything that could possibly move the person away from being dependent on the religion.
I don’t think porn is a new drug.
Remember how totally bad rock and roll was back in the 1950’s? It would drive you to Satan for sure.