Reject the single story to regain paradise

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Angel

Reject the single story to regain paradise

Post by Angel » Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:23 pm

https://www.ted.com/talks/chimamanda_ng ... ngle_story

As members here branch out, and explore additional stories and paths, which books, groups, and new belief systems have brought you comfort?
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

stuck

Re: Reject the single story to regain paradise

Post by stuck » Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:16 pm

I have thought about getting more into meditation--I haven't done much yet but maybe that would help with the mixed faith thing. Can anyone else confirm this?

Angel

Post by Angel » Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:08 pm

stuck wrote:
Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:16 pm
I have thought about getting more into meditation--I haven't done much yet but maybe that would help with the mixed faith thing. Can anyone else confirm this?
Noah is an ex-mo in a mixed faith marriage who runs: https://secularbuddhism.com/what-is-secular-buddhism/

see: https://secularbuddhism.com/155-the-first-meditation/

I find you can fill holes with new beliefs - as friends and families share their spiritual experiences, you can then share your new spiritual experiences, and meditation is a great place to start.

Meditation changes your brain: https://mindworks.org/mindfulness-medit ... ion-brain/
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:16 pm

How to become a really good pain in the ass by Christopher DiCarlo

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Jan 28, 2022 9:24 am

One thing I found very useful was to replace daily prayer with grateful meditation. Nothing fancy, just instead of talking to an exalted man in the vicinity of Kolob, I was opening my mind to contemplate the universe and all of the wonderful things in it and in my life; a sort of open prayer with the idea that the universe could send me anything it wanted, but I was also free to explore on my own.

How much time did you used to spend praying? If you're like most Mormons it was probably several minutes a day. Just turn that into meditation time. All the benefits of prayer with none of the baggage.

Later I got more seriously into meditation until I was doing about 30 minutes a day, but then I allowed the madness of the past few crazy years to disrupt my schedule, so I have been gradually getting back on track with shorter gratitude meditations. I have added holotropic breathwork, which is like high octane meditation for me.

I've probably talked too much about this already, and I can't recommend it for everyone, but the most profound conduit for spirituality I have encountered is via entheogenics (aka psychedelics). It's kind of like religion, but amazing stuff actually happens. For anyone in Utah who's interested, you could look into The Divine Assembly, which serves psilocybin mushrooms as a sacrament in outdoor ceremonies with no kind of dogma or indoctrination. Feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss, even if you're just curious.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."