Current Biggest Church Problem

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
moksha

Current Biggest Church Problem

Post by moksha » Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:24 am

Was just listening to the latest Mormon Stories podcast and they were talking about the biggest internal problem the Church is having.

No, it is not the lack of truth that NOM poster Zadok used to talk about. It is the Ezra Taft Benson come home to roost zaniness that takes the form of anti-vax, anti-mask, Julie Rowe end of the world prepperness, Daybell-Vallow kill your children thoughts, and Trump as the one true Führer type of stuff.

Seems the Saints really are a peculiar people and the Brethren are just too liberal for them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWxIDaJBA6o

When I hear this, I hope normal members can flee to the exits before something bad happens in the Mormon theatre.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Red Ryder

Re: Current Biggest Church Problem

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:11 am

moksha wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:24 am
When I hear this, I hope normal members can flee to the exits before something bad happens in the Mormon theatre.
Perhaps this is the problem. All the normal people have been leaving for years and now the membership base that’s left are the weirdos.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

stealthbishop

Post by stealthbishop » Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:51 am

moksha wrote:
Was just listening to the latest Mormon Stories podcast and they were talking about the biggest internal problem the Church is having.

No, it is not the lack of truth that NOM poster Zadok used to talk about. It is the Ezra Taft Benson come home to roost zaniness that takes the form of anti-vax, anti-mask, Julie Rowe end of the world prepperness, Daybell-Vallow kill your children thoughts, and Trump as the one true Führer type of stuff.

Seems the Saints really are a peculiar people and the Brethren are just too liberal for them.

DW and I watched this last night. The Church appears to be in a pickle. Liberal members still leaving because of truth claims, women not having power in the church, LGBTQ+ issues, etc. Perhaps, that has already been "baked in" or the surge is over on that. On the other hand, it looks like they are now having a pretty bad problem with the hardcore right-wing as you said moksha and this seems to be maybe their primary concern right now is how to keep the right-wingers from going further off the rails then they already have. Maybe it's too late.
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

alas

Post by alas » Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:53 am

stealthbishop wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:51 am
moksha wrote:

DW and I watched this last night. The Church appears to be in a pickle. Liberal members still leaving because of truth claims, women not having power in the church, LGBTQ+ issues, etc. Perhaps, that has already been "baked in" or the surge is over on that. On the other hand, it looks like they are now having a pretty bad problem with the hardcore right-wing as you said moksha and this seems to be maybe their primary concern right now is how to keep the right-wingers from going further off the rails then they already have. Maybe it's too late.
Without coming right out and saying that tRump is a nasty, evil con man, I don’t see how they can control the far right. The right wing news media is talking a better, more interesting talk right now, so the far right is hardly even listening to church leaders. They became boring and irrelevant years ago. Maybe if they excommunicated certain far right talking heads, like they do to the extreme left members. Sean Hannity—-exed. Not only may that save people who might be tempted to follow him, but it would sure make the progressives happy. I have a Sister in law that is in the position of following the right wing talking heads, who would change her mind if the church made it clear that those people do not represent the church, let alone Christ.

Sure, if they came right out and exed Sean H. There would be right wingers who leave, just as there are left leaning members who left over them extinguished Sam Young, Kate Kelly, and others. But losing members to the left has never bothered them, so why do they panic about the nut cases on the far right?

stealthbishop

Post by stealthbishop » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:04 am

I think we are almost seeing a new religion or new variant of "Christianity" with Trump as a Messiah figure in a sort of QANON quasi-religion. My old American Heritage teacher Professor Fox lamented on social media about Trump and this QANON stuff. And this guy was no woke liberal at all. He said his next door neighbor in Provo believed that Trump was going to "take Jesus by the right hand" and usher in the Second Coming. He was appalled and was on social media encouraging people to not vote for Trump.

It will be interesting to see if they have GC messages for their right-wingers in April to get them in line.
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Feb 16, 2022 11:10 am

Did I hear you right? When I stepped into that sci-fi portal it teleported me to a bizarre alternate universe where the Mormon church is too liberal? I suppose next you'll tell me they're teaching that the papyrus was just a catalyst for Joseph Smith's inspired imagination, and it doesn't rain donuts here?

I look forward to listening to the podcast.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:11 pm

Do you think the Church could placate their right-wingers if they announced a new program of Q-Anon Studies at BYU, and perhaps even used Joseph's seer stone to interpret cryptic clues left by Q?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:39 pm

Time to update the bubble chart?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:42 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:39 pm
Time to update the bubble chart?
Does Brad Wilcox need to be added to the bubble chart as well?
~2bizE

stealthbishop

Post by stealthbishop » Wed Feb 16, 2022 2:53 pm

They have excommunicated a few of these types that might be in the same broad ball park. Denver Snuffer and Julie Rowe come to mind. But I wouldn't necessarily consider either of them DezNat or QAnon (although there could be some possible overlap maybe). I don't see any high profile excommunications of DezNat or QAnon people.

They definitely are going after BYU professors who are LGBTQIA+ affirming though. One just recently got fired for that.
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:54 am

alas wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:53 am

Sure, if they came right out and exed Sean H. There would be right wingers who leave, just as there are left leaning members who left over them extinguished Sam Young, Kate Kelly, and others. But losing members to the left has never bothered them, so why do they panic about the nut cases on the far right?
For clarification, you're not talking about Hannity as actually being a member of the church who could be exed, right?

You're talking about him being "cancelled"....?
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Feb 17, 2022 2:37 pm

Palerider wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:54 am
For clarification, you're not talking about Hannity as actually being a member of the church who could be exed, right?

I thought Alas meant exed as in being shot out of a cannon. Hannity did perform an exorcism at Utah Valley State University after Michael Moore spoke. There was no real priesthood efficacy, but it made the yokels feel better and it did not damage the school's reputation on a permanent basis.
-- Moksha

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:53 pm

Palerider wrote:
alas wrote:

I think Glenn Beck might be the one referred to. It would be interesting if he left the church over its positions.

alas

Post by alas » Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:29 pm

blazerb wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:53 pm
Palerider wrote:
alas wrote:

I think Glenn Beck might be the one referred to. It would be interesting if he left the church over its positions.
Yeah, I was meaning Glenn Beck. I guess I got my idiots mixed up. But Hannity does need to be exed as in terminated. So does Tucker.

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:46 am

alas wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:29 pm
But Hannity does need to be exed as in terminated. So does Tucker.
Those two provide so much misinformation to the American public that it is no wonder they hold such strange opinions. For people who are already susceptible to an LDS victimhood frame of mind, the conspiracy theories of Hannity and Tucker simply add gasoline to the fire.
-- Moksha

stealthbishop

Post by stealthbishop » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:05 am

alas wrote:
Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:29 pm
I guess I got my idiots mixed up.
:lol:
I had a good laugh at this. It is true. It's hard to tell them all apart sometimes.
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:11 pm

My family is more likely to leave to the right due to the list so aptly compiled above. I just don't relate to them at all. Such a crazy divide!