Rescuing the Restoration Conference

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

Rescuing the Restoration Conference

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:48 am

Shout out to Stig for a heads up on this conference.

https://www.rescuingtherestoration.com/
WHO WE ARE

We are a group of believers in the Restoration who are not affiliated with any formal church or institution, who testify that God is moving His Hand again, a second time, to recover His people in preparation for the Second Coming.
Are you concerned about the direction your church is taking? Is your religion changing so rapidly it’s becoming unrecognizable? Are you alarmed at the increasing emphasis on following a man and doing as you’re told, even when it doesn’t square with doctrine or scripture?

There ARE good answers to your questions about the LDS Church…answers that preserve faith in God, the Restoration, and the Book of Mormon. Join us for a light-filled discussion of some of the most pressing topics facing Latter-day Saints today.
The speakers at this Conference and thousands, if not millions, of others, believe the Restoration itself is in grave jeopardy and in need of being Rescued.

At a time of great turmoil and apostasy, this Conference is a humble attempt to honor and preserve the Restoration that began with Joseph Smith. Members of any faith or denomination are welcome to attend.
The speakers list includes Denver Snuffer and a few other people I haven’t heard of before.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

stealthbishop

Re: Rescuing the Restoration Conference

Post by stealthbishop » Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:53 pm

Watch your fundamentalist right flank LDS church!
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Mon Feb 21, 2022 7:17 pm

Eeeyowza!

They still don't get it. God has been preparing His people ever since the Savior's ascension and He's been doing it without a bona fide "organization" up until the present day.
Why must these people cling to this undoctrinal, misunderstood concept of the restoration? Especially in relation to Joseph Smith? He was such an obvious false prophet.

Stop depending on the "arm of flesh" and go directly to the Source! Grow up.....
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Phil Lurkerman

Post by Phil Lurkerman » Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:18 pm

Interesting - if slightly bewildering.

From the perspective of my agnostic-leaning worldview, this appears to be yet another spin around the cycle of disillusionment and reformation. Not too different (at least in concept) from the Reformation led by Martin Luther 500 years ago--and really any number of sectarian schisms since civilization arose. Apparently, God is unable to deliver on the promise of the restoration without these "true" true believers stepping in to save the "stone cut without hands."

I like the idea of an eternal existence beyond this life and I hope that someday all will be reveled - or not. At this point, I just try to be kind to those within my sphere of influence and trust that if such a thing as God exists, he/she/it/they will work things out as the omniscient wisdom dictates.
I was once a cafeteria Mormon on a hunger strike. Have since found a buffet elsewhere.

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:10 pm

Phil Lurkerman wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 8:18 pm
Apparently, God is unable to deliver on the promise of the restoration without these "true" true believers stepping in to save the "stone cut without hands."
I'm glad you mentioned this scripture. It allowed me to see it in an even more enlightened way; that the "stone" that is being created is truly being accomplished without the help of men's hands. God does not need Russell Nelson or his associates to get this done. He's actually big enough to do it by himself. Imagine that....

How many times have I read this and not understood what it was truly saying.
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

George Washington

Linked

Post by Linked » Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:02 am

I like the topic Whitney Horning will be covering, "Removing the Stain of Polygamy from the Restoration". Claiming that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints made up Joseph Smith's polygamy is an interesting perspective. I have my issues with the church, but this is opposite to my complaints. Good for the church for kind of almost telling the truth finally.
The late Harold Bloom, literary critic, religious scholar, and Professor of Humanities at Yale University called Joseph Smith “an authentic religious genius.” Joseph was one of this world’s greatest Christian thinkers. However, Christians disregard and discount his message because they believe he was a liar, hypocrite, sexual deviant and pedophile. They base their accusations regarding Joseph Smith and polygamy on the historical preponderance of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, previously known as the “Mormons” or the LDS Church.

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints claims that Joseph Smith was commanded by God to enter into plural marriage, secretly teaching the doctrine to a select group of men and women. They base their beliefs upon the lies of John C. Bennett and others who betrayed Joseph, as well as on the post-martyrdom polygamy of Brigham Young and his followers. Joseph Smith III, oldest living son of Joseph and Emma Smith, established the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints in 1860. Joseph III spent his life exonerating his father from the accusation of plural marriage. His church claimed for many generations that Joseph Smith was a faithful and honorable monogamist.

In fulfillment of prophecy, the world has long spoken both good and evil of Joseph Smith. In our day Joseph remains misrepresented, misjudged, and misunderstood, even by those churches who claim him as their founder. If Joseph was who he claimed to be, a messenger sent from the presence of God to teach us, then the Restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ which he began in 1830 ought to be rescued, preserved, embraced, and lived. To do so requires that we sift through history in order to discover truth. In April 1844, just a little over two months before his death, Joseph told the Mormon saints, “You don’t know me, you never knew my heart.” A few weeks later he declared, “If the doctrine that I preach is true, the tree must be good.” This talk will explore the truth behind polygamy, revealing Joseph Smith to be a man of honor, integrity, and virtue.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

græy

Post by græy » Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:23 am

God was serious about the restoration in 50CE. But then in 1820 he was really serious. But now in 2022 he's really really serious.

By the year 3000 we might start to see a pattern here.
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

Phil Lurkerman

Post by Phil Lurkerman » Tue Feb 22, 2022 1:59 pm

græy wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:23 am
God was serious about the restoration in 50CE. But then in 1820 he was really serious. But now in 2022 he's really really serious.

By the year 3000 we might start to see a pattern here.
I looked in my seer stone and saw this clip from the year 3000 AD Rescuing the Restoration conference

"God is moving his hand for the eighteenth and final time..."
I was once a cafeteria Mormon on a hunger strike. Have since found a buffet elsewhere.

Corsair

Post by Corsair » Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:39 pm

I am no prophet, but I foresee plural marriage flaring back into existence with a segment of this Restoration Conference. The other major segment of this Restoration Conference will be pretty sure that Joseph Smith was not responsible for the plural marriage problems. Oddly enough, these two segments will get along with each other because the institutional church is their common enemy.

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:29 pm

I am currently listening to Bach's Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring. That sounds like a restoration should.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvw9KJUPW8U
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:17 am

Linked wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:02 am
I like the topic Whitney Horning will be covering, "Removing the Stain of Polygamy from the Restoration". Claiming that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints made up Joseph Smith's polygamy is an interesting perspective.
It sounds like people who have devoted their lives to stuffing their fingers in their ears have found some extra ears and bigger fingers to magnify their ear stuffing tendency.

This conference only has 200 seats available. It would have been interesting if they also had a Zoom component. As is they are only going to get a handful of people who have already taken a big step outside of the fence.

I would love to hear an Idaho Rescue by the church that got exactly the same audience as this conference. Can you imagine general authorities trying to convince a conservative Mormon crowd that Joseph really did marry 14-year olds?
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

stealthbishop

Post by stealthbishop » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:12 am

Corsair wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:39 pm
I am no prophet, but I foresee plural marriage flaring back into existence with a segment of this Restoration Conference. The other major segment of this Restoration Conference will be pretty sure that Joseph Smith was not responsible for the plural marriage problems. Oddly enough, these two segments will get along with each other because the institutional church is their common enemy.

I think it will too.

Even in secular society, polyamory and/or polysexual relationships are growing or becoming less stigmatized and more mainstream I believe.
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

Linked

Post by Linked » Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:09 pm

stealthbishop wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:12 am
Corsair wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 9:39 pm

I think it will too.

Even in secular society, polyamory and/or polysexual relationships are growing or becoming less stigmatized and more mainstream I believe.
There's plenty of room for people to be mad at the church for admitting Joseph's polygamy on one side and for straying from Joseph's polygamy on the other.

Robert Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land describes a group with a charismatic leader who (spoilers) embrace polyamory. The book even mentions Joseph Smith and the mormons as a group who's sexual freedom was ahead of it's time. It was hard to read knowing the great pain polygamy caused so many. But it was an interesting view from a secular position that embraced sexual freedom and tried to see that in early mormonism.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:03 pm

Classical Bird wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:29 pm
I am currently listening to Bach's Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring. That sounds like a restoration should.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvw9KJUPW8U
Oh yeah, well as punishment for listening to music above your station (KBYU) I sentence you to this as penance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtryxTPxVR4
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:59 pm

How can you say no to the Courtyard Marriott in Meridian Idaho? :lol:
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Thu Feb 24, 2022 1:02 pm

stealthbishop wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:53 pm
Watch your fundamentalist right flank LDS church!
They've spent so much time and energy hating on feminists and gays. I wonder if they even know how to address right fundamentalist problem.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

MalcolmVillager

Post by MalcolmVillager » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:14 pm

Cuckoo! I will have to see if my dad is going. He is right in this crowd. PAP and AVOW and Snuffer. All of that stuff.

It had been too long since I posted here. Are we allowed to swear?

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:52 pm

MalcolmVillager wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:14 pm
Hi Villager! So far I haven't seen much pushback on swearing as long as you drop an occasional ! * or # in place of vowels.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:51 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:52 pm
MalcolmVillager wrote:
Hi Villager! So far I haven't seen much pushback on swearing as long as you drop an occasional ! * or # in place of vowels.

I really hate F-bombs......

I know we're better than that. ;)

George Washington

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:14 pm

Palerider wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:51 pm
Hagoth wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:52 pm
MalcolmVillager wrote:

I really hate F-bombs......

I know we're better than that. ;)
Fetch!

Villager… how did your dad get involved in those crowds? Is he genuinely displeased at the church leadership?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg