Is the world (finally) ending?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

Is the world (finally) ending?

Post by Hagoth » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:23 am

How many people out there consider, Mormons and other millennialists, will see Putin's actions as some sort of justifying fulfillment of last days prophecy? Let me reword that. How many will see it as actually the last of the last days, not just the last days that every generation thinks they're in.

I heard a TBM point out that President Russell said there would be hard times ahead and that the 2nd coming is just around the corner, so this must be the beginning of the end of the world.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Palerider

Re: Is the world (finally) ending?

Post by Palerider » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:51 am

Whether there are difficult times ahead or not, this shows me that the "Brethren" have been caught absolutely flat-footed and clueless. There was no timely dream of seven fat kine and seven malnourished kine to be interpreted. No whispering in the ear. No vision in the temple. No "Thus sayeth the Lord".

"Take your vitamins....." said the great policy changer.

Really?

That's the best you can do?
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Feb 24, 2022 3:49 pm

Palerider wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:51 am
"Take your vitamins....." said the great policy changer.
Right! But Mormons are so inspiration-starved they seem to be able to interpret that as specific revelation, regardless of what happens. See, he KNEW this was coming.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:16 pm

Let’s discuss when gasoline goes over $7 a gallon.

Now you got me wondering what exactly have the Q15 been saying over the last 3 years?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:26 am

How many of you remember the Cuban Missile Crisis? They still held the World Series. ;)
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

w2mz

Post by w2mz » Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:23 pm

I’m not sure why, but I can’t seem to get the Ukrainian war out of my mind. I’ve had a pit in my stomach since the invasion. I feel so bad for those young people and everyday citizens who are paying the ultimate price. I feel helpless.

I am so disappointed in humans. The tribal mindset will be our demise. Be it religion, politics, skin color, sexuality, or whatever, Humans in general just can’t seem to want everyone to be happy. We follow charismatic leaders without considering their motives. We are selfish by nature, and want to be special in the eyes of our tribes.

I had hoped that humans were moving forward as we became more knowledgeable about our world, and then this happens. Just makes me sick.

A good nom friend of mine said he thinks humans have about 1,000 years left before we go extinct. Recently I feel like it will be much sooner than that.
The church has engineered your eternal family into a commodity that can be purchased with an annual fee. The fact that full tithing payment is a requirement for saving ordinances is the biggest red flag imaginable. Hagoth

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:55 pm

Better take your Vitamins!
~2bizE

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:57 pm

If I’m not mistaken, armed conflicts have been a staple of history on Earth. I don’t foreseen a time when there won’t be wars and rumors of wars. It seems to be part of the human condition.
~2bizE

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:17 pm

Let's hope Putin does not choose the nuclear option. Putin still has his supporters, such as Trump and the Republican Party. If he can forego armageddon, Deutsche Bank might build him his own tower in Fort Lauderdale.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:49 am

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:23 am
How many people out there consider, Mormons and other millennialists, will see Putin's actions as some sort of justifying fulfillment of last days prophecy? Let me reword that. How many will see it as actually the last of the last days, not just the last days that every generation thinks they're in.
The irony is that we go the same thing each time a major conflict starts.

People are saying this time is the start of the wars that will lead to the Battle of Armageddon and the 2nd coming. However, they said the same thing after 9-11. I remember the same thing back in 1999 when there was an eruption of attacks in Israel. I vaguely remember the same thing in 1990 with the lead up to the gulf war.

When you can take a step back and see the bigger picture, it's a lot of Chicken Little saying "The sky is falling." No really, this time the 2nd coming is right around the corner.

However, when a person is still in it, you seam to get tunnel vision that this time it's it. This time it will be the war to end all wars. You forget about or downplay the previous times that it was the war to end all wars. In a way, you have to. If you think about why the 2nd coming keeps getting delayed, it has a lot of very uncomfortable implications to a person's faith structure.

I guess that is partially why LDSinc. has gotten a bit more vague on their 2nd comming talk lately. If you get too specific on your predictions, it can come back to bite you.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Zeezrom

Post by Zeezrom » Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:58 am

I don’t think the current situation has anything to do with made up millennial prophecies but it does illustrate one actual good nugget of Wisdom that JS put in his fictional gold Bible. To paraphrase: It takes a lot of bloodshed to remove an unrighteous king.

Vladamir Putin is the Adolf Hitler of our generation. A crazy mad megalomaniac who is bent on either World Conquest or World Destruction. The evidence increasingly shows he’ll take either outcome. I fear we all have some dark days ahead as a planet before things potentially get better. Putin has crossed the Rubicon and no longer has the ability to back down, save face, and re-enter polite society as a world leader. His grip on power is maintained by absolute censorship, lies, and at the point of a gun. To open things up and allow the truth to get out would destroy his power and delusions of grandeur, leading to his overthrow.

Like all dictators with the blood of thousands/millions on their hands his only future course is to conquer or die. Like all sane people I hope he’ll be overthrown or assassinated by his own people. However history tells us that is extremely unlikely as even Hitler died at the time of his own choosing.

For humanity’s sake hopefully I’m wrong and Putin miraculously dies in his sleep or wakes up one day with a conscience. May whatever Supreme Being you believe in have mercy on all of us.

Linked

Post by Linked » Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:45 pm

My dad thinks this is the will usher in the 2nd coming. Just like he thought all the other wars in the past 30 years would. He even hopes so. I told him not to make it a self-fulfilling prophecy. Just because it says it in a book doesn't predestine the world to plunge into brutal war.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Mar 05, 2022 11:50 am

Linked wrote:
Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:45 pm
Just because it says it in a book doesn't predestine the world to plunge into brutal war.
Especially if that book is really talking about things that were happening thousands of years ago. Every generation since then has misinterpreted it as talking about them.

Meilingkie

Post by Meilingkie » Sat Mar 05, 2022 12:52 pm

Gas at 7.00 USD/Gallon, I'd take that in a heartbeat........
Gas in Holland is now at USD 10.20/Gallon.
"Getting the Mormon out of the Church is easier than getting the Mormon out of the Ex-Mormon"

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:32 am

It seems like every network news broadcast I see spends almost as much time talking to people who are freaking out about the price at the pump as they do on the tragedy in Ukraine. I would love to hear them say, "there's some really bad stuff going down, people. You should expect consequences. Please try to have a little patience."

stealthbishop

Post by stealthbishop » Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:53 am

2bizE wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 8:57 pm
If I’m not mistaken, armed conflicts have been a staple of history on Earth. I don’t foreseen a time when there won’t be wars and rumors of wars. It seems to be part of the human condition.
Yes. 100%

I talk with DW about this a lot. Christianity developed from apocalyptic Judaism which believed that the world was under the control of dark cosmic powers who were oppressing and creating suffering for the majority of people on the earth. But God would put a stop to it and the end of this dark age was imminent and a new age and a good Kingdom of God would be coming very soon.

Our LDS tradition and even our name continued this tradition as many other types of Christianity have done albeit perhaps in a more concentrated form. Bottom line, is that it is woven into the DNA of Christianity and LDS belief. It will never go away. There will always be suffering on the earth in one way, shape, or form. God intervening will always be the answer.
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode