Can Confirm - Emphasis on Conditional Love

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
alas

Re: Can Confirm - Emphasis on Conditional Love

Post by alas » Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:01 pm

You know we have talked before that when the church leaders say “God,” they really mean “the leaders of the church”. So, what he is really saying is that the church’s love for its members is conditional. And I totally agree with him.

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:07 am

alas wrote:You know we have talked before that when the church leaders say “God,” they really mean “the leaders of the church”. So, what he is really saying is that the church’s love for its members is conditional. And I totally agree with him.
That makes sense!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Mackman

Post by Mackman » Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:40 am

I wonder how soon or if they will actually come out and say that God does not love us unconditionally? I see a lot of folks leaving over something like that so I think it will be presented in another way.

Phil Lurkerman

Post by Phil Lurkerman » Fri Mar 18, 2022 6:17 pm

I guess Jesus don't want me for a sunbeam after all...
I was once a cafeteria Mormon on a hunger strike. Have since found a buffet elsewhere.

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:30 am

alas wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:01 pm
You know we have talked before that when the church leaders say “God,” they really mean “the leaders of the church”. So, what he is really saying is that the church’s love for its members is conditional. And I totally agree with him.
That's why the whole thing is messed up - conflating God with church, or religion with spirituality, and to me, what's going on here is a perverse take on the prosperity gospel, by equating God's blessings with his love. While it seems that the hardcore folks are going to buy the conflation of God/church and religion/spirituality, it's going to take some doing for many members to buy the last one. Maybe that's just evidence from my area and the echo chamber I tend to read online, but I'm not sure everybody is buying in on this latest Nelson project.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

stealthbishop

Post by stealthbishop » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:34 am

alas wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:01 pm
Very good point!
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:39 am

Limited love, limited acceptance, limited Christianity, full tithing.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

SincereInquirer

Post by SincereInquirer » Mon Mar 21, 2022 10:23 am

My father was visiting our family this weekend. He is retired and now basically works full time in the temple.

In his prayer over the food on yesterday he thanked God for the gospel and the opportunity to be eternal families IF we follow the commandments.

I am pretty sure the mention was a dig at me since I was the only one of all of the family in town that didn't attend church that day. I just let it go and moved on.

An increased emphasis on "conditional love" will only serve to increase the hurt felt in mixed faith marriages and families with members that have left.

Hopefully this new emphasis will be something that can help my spouse figure out the Mormon church is wrong rather than adding one more wedge between us.
"I don't need the Mormon church to be true, I just need it to not be verifiably false." - something I read somewhere...(help me give proper citation credit if you know where this came from)

Mackman

Post by Mackman » Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:13 pm

I 2nd your thoughts sincere inquirer !!! I was quietly hoping this would push my wife to see the tscc for what it really is. The idea that God's love is conditional is sooooooo Stupid. I like what others have mentioned that when the brethren say God they really mean the church leaders have conditional love but as always and previously mentioned Full Tithing !!!!

Linked

Post by Linked » Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:46 pm

Mackman wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 9:40 am
I wonder how soon or if they will actually come out and say that God does not love us unconditionally? I see a lot of folks leaving over something like that so I think it will be presented in another way.
Russel Nelson wrote an article for the Ensign stating it clearly in 2003 here: Divine Love. I think it's been brought out a couple times since then too. The subheading for that article basically says exactly that -
While divine love can be called perfect, infinite, enduring, and universal, it cannot correctly be characterized as unconditional.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:04 pm

Linked wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:46 pm
Mackman wrote:
Russel Nelson wrote an article for the Ensign stating it clearly in 2003 here: Divine Love. I think it's been brought out a couple times since then too. The subheading for that article basically says exactly that -
While divine love can be called perfect, infinite, enduring, and universal, it cannot correctly be characterized as unconditional.
Does this mean we have it wrong expecting Gods love to be unconditional?

As a TBM, I assumed it was while subconsciously knowing it wasn’t. Yet I really never saw the dissonance in my own beliefs. Until I was no longer TBM.

How is it that our perspective changes?

The anger and need to critique?

Which brings up the same thoughts on forgiveness?

It’s just as conditional, isn’t it?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

alas

Post by alas » Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:07 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:04 pm
Linked wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 3:46 pm
Mackman wrote:
Does this mean we have it wrong expecting Gods love to be unconditional?

As a TBM, I assumed it was while subconsciously knowing it wasn’t. Yet I really never saw the dissonance in my own beliefs. Until I was no longer TBM.

How is it that our perspective changes?

The anger and need to critique?

Which brings up the same thoughts on forgiveness?

It’s just as conditional, isn’t it?
The church does teach that forgiveness is 100% conditional. You are forgiven as long as you never do it again. Repeat the sin and it is the same as if you never repented. Rather than you repented and are doing the best you can not to do it again, but somehow your best efforts are not quite enough. Like yelling at my kids. I repented lots of times and I don’t think God invalidated my efforts because I lost my temper again.