We don't do nepotism, some families are just more into the Spirit (TM)

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Meilingkie

We don't do nepotism, some families are just more into the Spirit (TM)

Post by Meilingkie » Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:04 am

So just in,

Former BP and SP JOEP BOOM will be anointed as an Area-Seventy.
As was his elder brother Hans Boom, who was his predecessor as BP and SP.
Hans Boom has since gone on to be a full GA.
https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... ans-t-boom

We don't believe in nepotism, but when you have abt 10 candidates for such a position it's a bit coincidental that you pick the kid-brother of the 70.
Or am I being too cynical here????

BTW, Hans Boom is "serving" in Moscow as member of the Area Presidency there.
"Getting the Mormon out of the Church is easier than getting the Mormon out of the Ex-Mormon"

Not Buying It

Re: We don't do nepotism, some families are just more into the Spirit (TM)

Post by Not Buying It » Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:26 am

Nepotism has literally been baked into the Church from the beginning, and to this day those with the most power in the Church have a tendency to set family members up in high level Church positions. President Hinckley may have "recused" himself when his son was called as a General Authority, but it didn't stop it from happening, did it? President Packer's son became a General Authority. President Monson's daughter was called as Second Counselor in the Young Women General Presidency, putting her in a position to make that ridiculous “I’m a Mormon. I know it. I live it. I love it.” statement that suddenly fell out of vogue a couple of years back. Hell, the Church itself trumpted "New BYU–Idaho President Henry J. Eyring Follows in His Father’s Footsteps" on its website (https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/chu ... s?lang=eng), completely oblivious to the obvious nepotism.

Nepotism has been so much a part of the Church from the beginning they feel little need to hide, explain, rationalize, or defend it. It's just the way it is. And it's pretty disgusting that what goodies the Church has to offer aren't dealt out in an equitable manner, but rather based on family and friend relationships.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Fri Apr 01, 2022 5:55 am

You know it's a major of show the church operates when J. Golden Kimball stated back in the 1910's:
Some people say a person receives a position in this church through revelation, and others say they get it through inspiration, but I say they get it through relation. If I hadn't been related to Heber C. Kimball, I wouldn't have been a damn thing in this church.
Last edited by Just This Guy on Mon Apr 11, 2022 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:28 am

In an older, more honest time, the church taught that some families had "believing blood." Thus, it wasn't nepotism. It was taking members of those families with the most righteous DNA. I'm a little lazy, but you can read some discussion of that here: https://www.timesandseasons.org/index.p ... ial-sauce/.

In the book "Lost Legacy: The Mormon Office of Presiding Patriarch," we learn that Eldred Smith was initially passed over for the office of presiding patriarch because his father smoked and only had 2 wives. It's been a while since I read it, so there may have been more to that, but I remember that the leaders wanted someone from a more faithful family. They came back to Eldred after a tragic mess of a story.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:00 pm

blazerb wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 6:28 am
In an older, more honest time, the church taught that some families had "believing blood."
Was this related to the experiment on isolating the gullibility gene?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Fri Apr 08, 2022 8:10 am

Looky looky who is the new Europe North area president:

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... MfcMFCu9E4

Meilingkie

Post by Meilingkie » Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:15 am

And....
Every Area-Presidency in Africa now contains a member with a high-melanin skin.
Seems the Rameumptum found out the optics were a bit iffy.
Last edited by Meilingkie on Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Getting the Mormon out of the Church is easier than getting the Mormon out of the Ex-Mormon"

Meilingkie

Post by Meilingkie » Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:18 am

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/lea ... s?lang=eng

And JOEP BOOM is now mentioned as a member of the 7th quorum.
Funny to see the number of Seventies is ballooning at a time the Church is visibly shrinking.
When Birmingham gets a Temple, despite having lost 40% of active membership, but that's another discussion entirely.....

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Apr 08, 2022 1:47 pm

Wait until China opens up. Then they’ll need 170 quorums of the Seventy.

All presided over by Seventy Ninth Dragon Gong who is a descendant of Seventy Eighth Dragon Gong, who is a descendant of Seventy Seven Dragon Gong, who is a descendant of Seventy Six Dragon Gong, who is a descendant of Seventy Five Dragon Gong, who is a descendant of Seventy Four Dragon Gong, who had an affair with Sister Sixty Nine Dragon Gongs, which split the family tree in half thus uprooting the true priesthood lineage from Elder Gongs great great great grand daddy Elder First Dragon Gong.

Therefore the ex Mormons of Reddit, NOM, and ex JW’s can’t complain of nepotism and the true apologists, yea even Daniel Petersen, can claim “See… there’s no Nepotism in Mormonism!”

Phew…. This gets complicated but the church is clearly true and the priesthood rolls forth until 1,000 quorums of the Seventy fill the earth and Jesus Christ returns to all 600 temples that dot the earth before the year 2070!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg