GenCon Social Media

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
lostinmiddlemormonism

GenCon Social Media

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:51 am

I have noticed a significant decrease in meme's and posts about GenCon showing up in my social media feeds over the last several conferences. It could be because my friend circle and the algorithms that control what I see are not sending them to me as much, or it could be that people are posting about it less or aren't even watching. What have your feeds been like?

Mormorrisey

Re: GenCon Social Media

Post by Mormorrisey » Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:53 am

I need more non Mormon friends, methinks. My feed has been taken over by it.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:04 am

I’ll have to sign up for social media, find friends, and then return and report.

I will go down!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

lostinmiddlemormonism

Post by lostinmiddlemormonism » Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:09 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:04 am
I’ll have to sign up for social media, find friends, and then return and report.

I will go down!
lol...

alas

Post by alas » Sun Apr 03, 2022 1:48 pm

There is really only one person that I love enough not to unfriend who posts lots of GC memes. But there were some 12 or so, there is no shortage of them.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:47 pm

lostinmiddlemormonism wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:51 am
I have noticed a significant decrease in meme's and posts about GenCon showing up in my social media feeds over the last several conferences.
They should have booked Jason Momoa, Chis Hemsworth, and Scarlett Johansson at this year's GenCon. Let's see Will Smith try to slap Jason Momoa when he has GenCon on his side!
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:49 am

The trouble with social media is it allows an otherwise insignificant but vocal minority to appear much larger and mainstream.

I don’t do any social media. I find it exhausting and of limited information value. I do love youtube however. You can learn how to fix anything there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:09 pm

1smartdodog wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:49 am
The trouble with social media is it allows an otherwise insignificant but vocal minority to appear much larger and mainstream.
This is 100% true and I'd add that not only does it make it appear much larger, but it gives that vocal minority an emboldened feeling when they can find people that support what can be very incorrect and harmful views.

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:35 am

DW commented a few days ago about the total lack of GenCon on FB. Same here. I have not see anything myself. I have not had to mute anyone for spamming GC. DW said she has only seen one post.

I keep a pretty tightly moderated FB page. No politics or religion (except a couple exmo groups I follow). People who regularly post in either of my no-no topics are either unfriended or unfollowed.

DW states that she has gotten more random friend requests from missionaries in the last month than she had gotten CG posts on her timeline.

Even with that, I usually see some GC activity. It's weird that I didn't. Did LDSinc forget to remind everyone to spam FB? Are FB filters suddenly taking those out in favor of more adds?
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams