17 new temples?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
nibbler

Re: 17 new temples?

Post by nibbler » Tue Apr 05, 2022 4:53 am

2bizE wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:31 pm
In the future when temples go up for sale, what would you do with one if you were to purchase it? Bed and Breakfast? Fancy reception center for all religions? Fancy mall or retail store center? Mega restaurant center with several different restaurants inside? Bass Pro Shop with a restaurant in the celestial room?
I don't know if this is true, but I've heard that when a chapel goes up for sale there's a clause in the contract that stipulates that the chapel has to be torn down. I've heard of a few cases where this was required but that doesn't mean there's a rigid rule that is always followed.

I imagine that would be a requirement for a temple. The church would probably dismantle the temple and salvage it for parts. Essentially you'd only be purchasing the land the temple sat on.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:23 am

I can't fathom all these new worthless hamster-wheel buildings being anything more than a similitude of the underwear that is marketed inside of them: Pure and simple virtue signaling to keep believers in their bubble that "Everything is Awesome" in CoJCoL-dS land.

There is no way in hell that tithing revenues will increase enough in Montpelier Idaho to pay for a temple. Could tithing revenue over time eventually pay for the cost of the temple, and ongoing operating costs? Again, I can't imagine that happening in Montpelier.

The thoughts about transfer of wealth are interesting: That seems plausible also.

So I guess there could be two reasons for all the useless new Polygamy Palaces™: Virtue Signaling, and Transfer of Wealth. (Essentially money-laundering...)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

hallew

Post by hallew » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:46 am

The temple currently under construction in my city is way over budget (millions). When the stake presidency (I have an inside source) suggested that construction should wait until building costs came back down "the brethren" did not want to hear about it. :roll:

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:16 pm

hallew wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:46 am
The temple currently under construction in my city is way over budget (millions). When the stake presidency (I have an inside source) suggested that construction should wait until building costs came back down "the brethren" did not want to hear about it. :roll:
The Rome temple should have been an indicator that cost doesn’t matter to the Brethren.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:10 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:42 am
My in laws are temple workers and are constantly complaining about the difficulty in keeping the schedule filled with workers who always no show. Or asked to sit in on a session to add numbers to the participation count.

I find it humorous that temple workers are constantly complaining about no-shows. It has reached a point where members are just as comfortable ditching a temple assignment as they are ditching a toilet cleaning assignment. Man, times they are a changin'...
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Meilingkie

Post by Meilingkie » Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:15 pm

Well, Hinckley promised the Scottisch an own temple.
Now Birmingham gets one, next to the Area Office I heard.

Many Scots are very upset about it.
Moreover the stakes in and around Birmingham have lost abt 40% of active membership.
A source I have in the Temple-department stated (off-the-record obviously):
"it's chaos in the temples because of covid, lack of ordinance-workers, patrons and Nelson is just making it worse with his announcements pissing people off"
"Getting the Mormon out of the Church is easier than getting the Mormon out of the Ex-Mormon"

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:34 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 12:16 pm
The Rome temple should have been an indicator that cost doesn’t matter to the Brethren.
This. I'm sure somebody's making money off the temples. The church now has an extra billion a year in tithing receipts and that slush fund is only getting bigger, unless the 2nd Coming actually occurs and wipes out the value of all businesses. That would at least give my heathen soul a good laugh as I sink to hell in the devastation.
Meilingkie wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:15 pm
Well, Hinckley promised the Scottisch an own temple.
Now Birmingham gets one, next to the Area Office I heard.
I doubt RMN is even aware of Scotland or Hinckley's promises. People keep saying the Oaks or Bednar will ruin the church. I think RMN is getting started on it right now. He just has no awareness of what people look for in religion. He just knows that he is the most important person in the church, or at least the most visible. There's probably some financial guru getting big bucks who can't be fired.

Spicy McHaggis

Post by Spicy McHaggis » Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:13 pm

In one of the recent MS videos on youtube Dehlin said he just found out that real reason the church is building temples is so it can maintain the tax exempt status. He didn't go into details but did say he would talk about it soon. I don't know all the rules into that, perhaps they have so much money they have to put it back into buildings otherwise they are just a real estate development corp.

That actually makes some sense. Outside of Utah, do TBMs even go to the temple anymore? They clearly do not have the need for all the temples they are building, I believe most temples outside of western US sit unused & empty most of the time.

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:36 am

Montpelier temple might be more of a "vacation" temple for the thousands of summer Bear Lake visitors.

It doesn't seem like there is enough population in that area to justify a temple unless all the Mormon vacationers are counted, though I might be wrong.

I suspect that temple might get pretty quiet in the winter.

1smartdodog

Post by 1smartdodog » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:39 am

Land itself is always valuable, but a temple is a unique structure I doubt could be used for much else.

What will the church do when the inevitable happens and the decline in membership is to apparent to overlook. Projections say that almost every industrialized nation will see a population decrease in the next 30 to 50 years. So unless the church finds a way to significantly ratchet up conversions it seems a poor investment in the future.

I think that leaves ego. To hell with the next two or three generations I must cement my legacy now. Let future generations Deal with the legacy. Very shortsighted I say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“Five percent of the people think; ten percent of the people think they think; and the other eighty-five percent would rather die than think.”
― Thomas A. Edison

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Apr 10, 2022 6:19 pm

1smartdodog wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:39 am
What will the church do when the inevitable happens and the decline in membership is to apparent to overlook.
They will keep them pristine and sparkling in the day and blindingly illuminated at night, at continue to hold them up as an outward sign of God's approval and praise them as the most important and essential structures on the planet.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:19 pm

A rameumpton.

Arms held high.

Oh God, hear the words of my mouth.

And see my shiny glorious million dollar structure, built to glorify my name.. I mean your name, oh holy one of Israel. And that which will stand in this dedicated hallowed ground of expensive real estate. And thou sons and thine daughters will buy up lands round about, and purchaseth great houses from mine corporation, I mean thine dear Lord, and fill mine coffers, I mean thine.. well, let's just call it ours.. they will fill it with their tithes of which they will give freely and abundantly and with great faith so that they might venture into our holy edifice to worship and slumber and wonder and feel hunger, then to return in the hours of the eve to clean, to scrub, and to dust, so that others might also have the opportunity to purchase their way to the great, marvelous, glorious and sparkly clean building, and put pictures of our astounding edifice inside their big homes and feel the love they have of themselves for their great sacrifice which is greater even than that of their neighbors. Amen.

moksha

Post by moksha » Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:23 pm

Cnsl1 wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 10:36 am
Montpelier temple might be more of a "vacation" temple for the thousands of summer Bear Lake visitors.

It doesn't seem like there is enough population in that area to justify a temple unless all the Mormon vacationers are counted, though I might be wrong.

I suspect that temple might get pretty quiet in the winter.
Since Bear Lake is drying up the motive for the Church to build a Temple, so Church Finance Committee members can make a killing off of overpriced vacation homes, seems misplaced.

After the overpriced residential area surrounding the Tooele Temple was nixed, the Church withdrew from that Temple.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:58 am

Spicy McHaggis wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 7:13 pm
In one of the recent MS videos on youtube Dehlin said he just found out that real reason the church is building temples is so it can maintain the tax exempt status. He didn't go into details but did say he would talk about it soon. I don't know all the rules into that, perhaps they have so much money they have to put it back into buildings otherwise they are just a real estate development corp.

That actually makes some sense. Outside of Utah, do TBMs even go to the temple anymore? They clearly do not have the need for all the temples they are building, I believe most temples outside of western US sit unused & empty most of the time.
It does make sense that building temples provides a spiritual benefit to members paying tithing, and thus the church continues to act like a church.

I'm curious as to whatever happened with the whistle blower complaint regarding the $100+billion fund the church amassed through well-invested tithing donations, but was never used for charitable purposes. As far as I know, the IRS was not interested.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:26 am

Cnsl1 wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:58 am
I'm curious as to whatever happened with the whistle blower complaint regarding the $100+billion fund the church amassed through well-invested tithing donations, but was never used for charitable purposes. As far as I know, the IRS was not interested.
The last I heard it was going to be a 7-year-plus investigation with a worst case scenario of the church paying a fine that would be less than what they would accrue in the meantime by investing that same money. So either way it's still a win for the church. God bless America.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

A New Name

Post by A New Name » Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:27 am

My take on the temple building frenzy is detailed in my blog post at Weat&Tares.

dogbite

Post by dogbite » Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:04 pm

Not following the logic of how building temples maintains tax exemption. But law is not necessarily logical. And there are so many legal variations globally that I don't think that can be a global explanation.

Linked

Post by Linked » Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:05 pm

The church is doing a good job projecting strength/growth in Utah. There are 2 new temples making impressive progress in Orem and Taylorsville, and ground was just broken for the Lindon temple. It's a bit dystopian.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:04 am

I think a part of it is that they're too afraid to spend money in any other way. They're so high off their own fumes that the money is consecrated that anything short of building temples is an unworthy use of the money.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun May 01, 2022 3:03 pm

A New Name wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 10:27 am
My take on the temple building frenzy is detailed in my blog post at Weat&Tares.
Great read.

I really wish I knew what the rest of the Q15 think about this. It seems to be some mixture of egomania and dementia. I'm certain some of them are wondering if it's time for an intervention, but how could they even dare to voice concern without being seen as lacking faith in the prophet? They certainly will want unwavering loyalty from their underlings when they finally get to sit in the Big Chair.

But I'm cheering for Pres. Nelson. I think he should announce 1000 new temples. Hell, why not 10,000! He gets the glory and somebody gets to clean up the mess. While he's at it, I think he should announce the building of the New Jerusalem in Jackson County. And the Nauvoo interstellar colony ship in the Belt.