Supporting our own

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
User avatar
Hagoth
Posts: 6408
Joined: Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:13 pm

Re: Supporting our own

Post by Hagoth » Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:01 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 6:56 am
... a good series for those who are questioning but don't want to be made to feel like idiots for believing.
Which is a real challenge, because just learning those things on your own sorta makes you feel that way, regardless of who it's coming from. That's why so many people dip a toe in and then run away because they think they feel "Satan" (aka Captain CogDis, aka your own critical faculty) mocking them.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

User avatar
jfro18
Posts: 1986
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:41 pm

Re: Supporting our own

Post by jfro18 » Sun Oct 23, 2022 4:14 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 2:01 pm
Which is a real challenge, because just learning those things on your own sorta makes you feel that way, regardless of who it's coming from. That's why so many people dip a toe in and then run away because they think they feel "Satan" (aka Captain CogDis, aka your own critical faculty) mocking them.
100% - and in these episodes it's easy to go on tangents about how the church hasn't be honest or just how stupid it all is and all of the sudden you might turn someone off who was dipping their toe in.

I've tried really hard not to get emotional because I don't want to turn anyone off, but when we recorded the Happiness Letter there were a few times where I know I was as 'angry' as I will get on these... because once you see what he's doing it's just ridiculous. But i guess if someone makes it that far on these hopefully it won't be what turns them off from it all.

User avatar
moksha
Posts: 4529
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:22 am

Re: Supporting our own

Post by moksha » Sat Nov 05, 2022 5:54 am

So you are a 37-year-old prophet and want to propose to a 14-year-old girl. What do you say?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JC4xsc9lCI
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

stuck
Posts: 230
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:48 pm

Re: Supporting our own

Post by stuck » Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:41 am

Jfro18, I have really liked your work on Mormon stories. What is the best way to support you? Donate to Mormon stories or elsewhere?

User avatar
jfro18
Posts: 1986
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:41 pm

Re: Supporting our own

Post by jfro18 » Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:16 am

stuck wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:41 am
Jfro18, I have really liked your work on Mormon stories. What is the best way to support you? Donate to Mormon stories or elsewhere?
So I'm not making any $$ for these (I know John pays regulars but I want to make sure no one can ever say I'm doing this for the money) which is probably a really dumb idea given how many of these we've done... but I really wanted to make sure no one can ever accuse me of leading people away for any reward.

That said... if you wanted to donate anything on my behalf a local animal shelter would be my recommendation. :)

stuck
Posts: 230
Joined: Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:48 pm

Re: Supporting our own

Post by stuck » Fri Nov 18, 2022 10:49 am

jfro18 wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:16 am
stuck wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:41 am
Jfro18, I have really liked your work on Mormon stories. What is the best way to support you? Donate to Mormon stories or elsewhere?
So I'm not making any $$ for these (I know John pays regulars but I want to make sure no one can ever say I'm doing this for the money) which is probably a really dumb idea given how many of these we've done... but I really wanted to make sure no one can ever accuse me of leading people away for any reward.

That said... if you wanted to donate anything on my behalf a local animal shelter would be my recommendation. :)
Well that's awesome. You definitely need some compensation for the time you've put in. Maybe you can write a book about it. Ok I will see if I can make a donation to the local animal shelter. Thanks again and keep up the great work.

User avatar
MoPag
Posts: 3405
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:05 pm

Re: Supporting our own

Post by MoPag » Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:04 am

jfro18 wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 8:16 am
stuck wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 4:41 am
Jfro18, I have really liked your work on Mormon stories. What is the best way to support you? Donate to Mormon stories or elsewhere?
So I'm not making any $$ for these (I know John pays regulars but I want to make sure no one can ever say I'm doing this for the money) which is probably a really dumb idea given how many of these we've done... but I really wanted to make sure no one can ever accuse me of leading people away for any reward.

That said... if you wanted to donate anything on my behalf a local animal shelter would be my recommendation. :)
That's so sweet!

Jfro, I love your Mormon stories episodes!!! I used to read your posts on NOM in Charlie Kelly's voice in my head. But now that I know what your real voice sounds like I read your posts in your voice. :lol:
Thanks for all the hard work you've put into those episodes. They've helped me see things I didn't realize before.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

User avatar
jfro18
Posts: 1986
Joined: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:41 pm

Re: Supporting our own

Post by jfro18 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:05 pm

MoPag wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:04 am
Jfro, I love your Mormon stories episodes!!! I used to read your posts on NOM in Charlie Kelly's voice in my head. But now that I know what your real voice sounds like I read your posts in your voice. :lol:
Thanks for all the hard work you've put into those episodes. They've helped me see things I didn't realize before.
I would pay money to have Charlie Day voice the pages on the site because that would be absolutely amazing... my voice sucks compared to his.

Hopefully the episodes are helping people who have questions - I have no idea what, if any, impact they'll have but at least for the most part I think they've been done in a way that's as calm and non-abrasive as possible. I know I've failed in some points (a few times with polygamy), but so far the feedback has been that people have appreciated that we're not coming off as super angry or making fun of anything... that's been the goal all along.

Now I need to practice learning a Charlie Day voice to use going forward!

User avatar
MoPag
Posts: 3405
Joined: Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:05 pm

Re: Supporting our own

Post by MoPag » Fri Nov 25, 2022 12:17 am

jfro18 wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:05 pm
MoPag wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 1:04 am
Jfro, I love your Mormon stories episodes!!! I used to read your posts on NOM in Charlie Kelly's voice in my head. But now that I know what your real voice sounds like I read your posts in your voice. :lol:
Thanks for all the hard work you've put into those episodes. They've helped me see things I didn't realize before.
I would pay money to have Charlie Day voice the pages on the site because that would be absolutely amazing... my voice sucks compared to his.

Hopefully the episodes are helping people who have questions - I have no idea what, if any, impact they'll have but at least for the most part I think they've been done in a way that's as calm and non-abrasive as possible. I know I've failed in some points (a few times with polygamy), but so far the feedback has been that people have appreciated that we're not coming off as super angry or making fun of anything... that's been the goal all along.

Now I need to practice learning a Charlie Day voice to use going forward!
You can always treat us to a chorus of "Day Man" during your next podcast!!! :lol: :lol:
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 9 guests