The church is burning printing presses

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

The church is burning printing presses

Post by Hagoth » Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:26 pm

“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Red Ryder

Re: The church is burning printing presses

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:19 pm

Utah Business magazine published an excellent article, written by Jennifer Alsever, on “Psychedelics and the State of Utah.” Utah Business was forced to take it down and remove it from the print edition. “Who censured it?” you ask. Answer: “The Twelve.” As in, the twelve apostles of the Organization. Seriously, by the men who—according to the Organization’s mythology—now occupy the positions held by Peter, James, John, and the other nine apostles of the New Testament. Modern Jesus apparently saith, “Blessed are the meek. But, first, get that psychedelic article out of Utah Business magazine!”
Apparently the Brethren can’t compete with Psychedelics.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Apr 13, 2022 6:39 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 5:19 pm
Apparently the Brethren can’t compete with Psychedelics.
As anybody who has experienced both can tell you, The Brethren can't even get through the turnstiles at the ballpark when it comes to delivering the goods.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:20 pm

I remember Steve Urquhart as a Utah legislator getting shut down by the church for a bill….probably the marijuana bill…
Anyway, I would be interested in learning how the church got the media to pull the story. Might be another Pulitzer Prize in the making.
~2bizE

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:53 am

2bizE wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:20 pm
I remember Steve Urquhart as a Utah legislator getting shut down by the church for a bill….probably the marijuana bill…
Anyway, I would be interested in learning how the church got the media to pull the story. Might be another Pulitzer Prize in the making.
Not any more. The Salt Lake Tribune has been co-opted by the Church. Maybe that is the publisher's penance for his brother suing the Church.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:05 am

2bizE wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:20 pm
But in the end Steve triumphed. He went head-to-head with the church on medicinal marijuana and won. When they realized they would lose they tried to back it off to a version that they could profit from. The church owns stock in the synthetic THC company that they wanted the state to endorse as the only option. Steve beat them on that too. I suspect they are still smarting from it.

There are more and more active Mormons turning to psilocybin for mental health help that the church cannot provide. As a result, they also have spiritual experiences that the church cannot provide. It is a problem.

There is a wave of new publicity coming that the church will not be able to crush. Michael Pollen has joined forces with psychedelic researchers to create and fund a media push. The first component of that is a Rolling Stone article I was recently interviewed for, about Steve and The Divine Assembly. Thanks to the church's ham-handedness, the Utah Business article is also getting broader attention and is being shopped to national publications. They just can't help shooting themselves in the foot.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:07 am

This would make an excellent place to burn books if you drain the water:

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:18 am

“Hagoth” wrote:The first component of that is a Rolling Stone article I was recently interviewed for, about Steve and The Divine Assembly.
Let us know when it comes out. I’d be interested in reading it.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Apr 15, 2022 6:20 am

I asked Steve if the Utah Business article was available anywhere, or if the angel had taken it back. He sent me this:
https://web.archive.org/web/20220408202 ... e-of-utah/

The author puts a lot of emphasis on Joseph Smith's possible use of psychedelics in the early church, so I'm sure The Brethren wouldn't like that. If Joseph really did (and I think there's a pretty good argument to be made) then The Divine Assembly might be the restoration of The Restoration. It also talks about how church growth is faltering while alternative spiritual interest is growing rapidly. Again, not in line with what The Brethren are saying.

græy

Post by græy » Thu Apr 21, 2022 9:05 am

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:07 am
This would make an excellent place to burn books if you drain the water:
Pssh, a real prophet wouldn't even need the water drained. Elijah mastered that trick centuries ago. ;)
Well, I'm better than dirt! Ah, well... most kinds of dirt; not that fancy store-bought dirt; that stuff is loaded with nutrients. I can't compete with that stuff. -Moe Sizlack

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:49 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:05 am
The first component of that is a Rolling Stone article I was recently interviewed for, about Steve and The Divine Assembly.
I'm gonna go ahead and beat Hagoth to the punch here:

https://www.rollingstone.com/culture/cu ... y-1375027/
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Jun 29, 2022 2:22 am

wtfluff wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:49 pm

I followed another link in your article and ran into this:
“In Mormondom, there is a social expectation--particularly among the females--to put on a mask, say ‘Yes’ to everything that comes at her and hide the misery and pain. I call it the ‘Mother of Zion’ syndrome. You are supposed to be perfect because Mrs. Smith across the street can do it and she has three more kids than you and her hair is always in place. I think the cultural issue is very real. There is the expectation that you should be happy, and if you’re not happy, you’re failing.”
It's not really related, but it did catch my interest.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:07 am

wtfluff wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:49 pm
Hagoth wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:05 am
The first component of that is a Rolling Stone article I was recently interviewed for, about Steve and The Divine Assembly.

Ha! I was interviewed for that article but she found more interesting people to talk about. She was kind enough to send me the link. I wonder how/if the church will react to this movement.

Saturday I spoke at The Divine Assembly's Solstice Revival. My topic was Psychedelics in Ancient Religion, but I also talked a lot about the many fascinating overlaps of psychedelics and Mormonism. I asked for a raise of hands of how many attendees were raised Mormon. I'd say about 85%. Of course, a lot of that is explained by the fact that we're in Utah, but still...

One of the workshops was a crafts thing where people made art from pages of the Book of Mormon. I just tore out the page that clobbered my testimony and made a paper airplane out of it. That page didn't fly for me then and it doesn't now.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:14 am

I appreciate that Cassady talked to the District Attorney, Sim Gill.

Interesting that he identified religious use of psychedelics as "constitutional protected rights."
“I don’t think a district attorney … should ever use the power of their office in a way that is gratuitous, or even in an arbitrary way, that would violate the constitutional protected rights of its citizens,” he says. Gill is quick to point out that in a hypothetical case of physical or sexual abuse, religious protections are irrelevant. But for now, the same reason a man can take multiple wives in Utah is the same reason another can operate a psilocybin church in broad daylight.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:15 am

Regardless of what you think of this stuff, it will be fascinating to watch how the Mormon church reacts with the growth of the movement. They are famous for screwing things up.

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:54 am

Let me make sure I understand this - the Church pressured a publication they do not own to remove an article that was less then flattering about them?

That's outrageous. No organization, religious or otherwise, should have the kind of power that allows them to censor an article in a publication they don't own.

If that's how it fell out, it should be a much bigger story than it is.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:07 pm

Not Buying It wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:54 am
Let me make sure I understand this - the Church pressured a publication they do not own to remove an article that was less then flattering about them?

That's outrageous. No organization, religious or otherwise, should have the kind of power that allows them to censor an article in a publication they don't own.

If that's how it fell out, it should be a much bigger story than it is.
Yup. Just another day in Utah.