Destigmatizing Therapy

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
hallew

Re: Destigmatizing Therapy

Post by hallew » Fri May 13, 2022 10:17 am

Not Buying It wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 5:26 am
It is true that stigmatization of therapy is hardly a Mormon phenomenon, but I have to say, the Church certainly made that problem worse for its members. It has taught them that living the gospel leads to happiness - ergo anything that makes one unhappy isn't something handled by therapy, but by following the gospel more closely. It has given them a bishop to go to for problems who has no training in professional counseling and likely as not will make problems worse by telling someone they just need to follow the gospel more closely. It has at time discouraged people from seeking therapy from anyone other than an LDS therapist, who may or may not perpetuate the problems the Church causes by making you think better adherence to Church rules leads to more happiness. Some LDS therapists know that isn't necessarily true, but others are all in on Mormonism.

Whatever you do, stay the hell away from LDS Family Services. Sure, there are some good therapists there, but the whole point of the thing is to provide therapy in an LDS context, which in my opinion is counterproductive a lot of the time. Don't expect a lot of sympathy there if you don't believe in the Church.
I think when I have a bio written up I'll mention that I am familiar with LDS teachings. That way if someone who was formerly LDS or is currently LDS may feel that I can have a deeper understanding where they are coming from. My goal isn't to lead anyone to or away from their religious beliefs, but to help them heal and move forward in their life. The therapist I went to for my "faith crises" specialized in marriage counseling, but she was the only LDS therapist in my area. I don't think she knew how to deal with me--I was def not her normal client. :lol: