Education and commitment

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
blazerb

Education and commitment

Post by blazerb » Sun May 29, 2022 9:35 am

On a recent Mormon Stories, JD, RMF and Gerardo talk about a speech given to the Nation Press Club by David Bednar. You can watch the review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1STMu-AswM.

Near the end, they report that Bednar repeated the claim that in the Mormon Church, the more educated a member is, the more committed they are as a member. Does anyone know more about that claim? I've heard it since I was kid in the 80's. I assume it was true. Has anyone checked to see if it's still true? What is the evidence?

alas

Re: Education and commitment

Post by alas » Sun May 29, 2022 12:51 pm

blazerb wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 9:35 am
On a recent Mormon Stories, JD, RMF and Gerardo talk about a speech given to the Nation Press Club by David Bednar. You can watch the review here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1STMu-AswM.

Near the end, they report that Bednar repeated the claim that in the Mormon Church, the more educated a member is, the more committed they are as a member. Does anyone know more about that claim? I've heard it since I was kid in the 80's. I assume it was true. Has anyone checked to see if it's still true? What is the evidence?
It is an old study from when science had proven tobacco was bad and Mormons were sure that coffee would also be found to be poison. It was from back when intelligent educated people didn’t suffer from terminal cognitive dissonance over things like there being no possibility that the American Indians were descendants of some Jewish guy because their DNA is Asian, and there being zero archeological evidence of BoM, because most of South and Central America had not been studied archaeologically and we all knew that pretty soon we would find proof. Back in the good old days when the “missing link” to tie humans to earlier primates was still missing and that missing link showed that the animals were created by evolution but humans were plopped down fully human.

Now the educated are dropping out while they see their neighbors fall for conspiracy theories and think Trump is going to return the nation to real Christianity, even when those neighbors know the man isn’t faithful to his wife, hires prostitutes, cheats people who work for him, and is a compulsive liar. But he is going to restore “real Christianity”. Ummmmmm, yeah.

I don’t know if any new studies have been done, and the church sure wouldn’t talk about them if they exist. The church leaders are hanging on to how things were when they were in college 50 years ago.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun May 29, 2022 5:14 pm

What's that "scripture" in the D&C about "any intelligence we obtain here will be taken into the next life" ? My parents were always quoting that with regard to MORmONism.

(Yes, I'm too lazy to look up the reference, I'm happy that I don't feel any compulsion to do so, and I'm also HAPPY that I don't remember "section & verse." :D :mrgreen: )
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Sun May 29, 2022 8:42 pm

alas wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 12:51 pm
Now the educated are dropping out while they see their neighbors fall for conspiracy theories and think Trump is going to return the nation to real Christianity, even when those neighbors know the man isn’t faithful to his wife, hires prostitutes, cheats people who work for him, and is a compulsive liar. But he is going to restore “real Christianity”. Ummmmmm, yeah.

I don’t know if any new studies have been done, and the church sure wouldn’t talk about them if they exist. The church leaders are hanging on to how things were when they were in college 50 years ago.
This is what I thought. Thank you!

stealthbishop

Post by stealthbishop » Mon Jun 06, 2022 10:58 am

blazerb wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 8:42 pm
alas wrote:

This is what I thought. Thank you!
That's my sense too. I see more people with higher education distancing themselves, or PIMO, or dropping out. That's just anecdotal from my POV. Those with a higher education who stay probably have significant family heritage and legacy in the church and that may keep them in. It would be interesting to see a fresh and unbiased/independent study on this.
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:25 pm

alas wrote:

I think you meant 75 years ago!

The world has changed and secularization has set in. Why do humans need God when we have the ability to provide for every basic need at our fingertips? With basic needs met, we can focus on the unlimited entertainment at our disposal.

Church? Nah! I’ll stay home and watch NFL and get my needs edit community met by my fantasy football league.

Pray? Why? There’s no immediate answer and dopamine in prayer.

Mysteries of the universe? I’ll just google for answers and check out the new telescope in space.

Life after death? Uhhh, I’ll wait to figure that out. Game of thrones is on streaming and I gotta order Uber eats.

Humanity doesn’t need god in today’s world! Humanity doesn’t need education! We have YouTube!

We have digital gods we worship everyday! I k is it’s true because my phone sends me a weekly hours report telling me exactly how and when I worshipped God!

/sarcasm
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:46 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 1:25 pm
alas wrote:

I think you meant 75 years ago!
That's when Russell Nelson was learning the latest science discoveries about cosmology and evolution, like how dictionaries are created by blowing up print shops.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:24 pm

The dedication makes sense since the more educated the LDS member, the longer they can sustain holding their head in the sand. They've learned how to meticulously avoid learning and thinking about the history and foundational stories of the Church, and if they have learned non-faith promoting information, they are capable of walling it off from the rest of their informational processes.

The catchphrase of the most educated LDS members is "What me worry?"
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:39 am

blazerb wrote:
Sun May 29, 2022 9:35 am

You know, I am kind of offended that your referred to this Church leader as simply "David Bednar".

The appropriate name to reference him by is "Susan Bednar's Husband".
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:41 pm

Not Buying It wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 9:39 am
You know, I am kind of offended that your referred to this Church leader as simply "David Bednar".

I apologize profusely for my disrespect to Susan Bednar's husband's wife.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:57 pm

blazerb wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:41 pm
Not Buying It wrote:

His middle name is Pickles 🤣
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:14 am

MoPag wrote:
Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:57 pm
blazerb wrote:
Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:41 pm
Not Buying It wrote:

His middle name is Pickles 🤣
Heh, I'd forgotten about the "pickle" talk. What a weirdo.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph