Is it wrong to be apathetic to the world’s problems?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

Is it wrong to be apathetic to the world’s problems?

Post by Red Ryder » Sun May 29, 2022 7:51 pm

My apathetic meter is in the red.

Is it wrong to be apathetic to the problems of the world?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Aware

Re: Is it wrong to be apathetic to the world’s problems?

Post by Aware » Sun May 29, 2022 8:08 pm

I think we're all weary with what's going on, and what we guess might be coming. I pray for the less fortunate, the fatherless, motherless, and those without companions, that evil will be exposed and confounded, and that souls will be comforted. Beyond that I just have to let it go, and hope the best for people.

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Sun May 29, 2022 8:45 pm

I think self-care is important. We can't survive if we are constantly worrying about all the world's problems, almost all of which are beyond our ability to affect. I try to adopt my periods of apathy with the intent to get more involved when I have more bandwidth to dedicate to bigger problems. There are some who would object. I'll do my best to help out where I can.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun May 29, 2022 9:03 pm

From one apathetic person to another: WHO CARES?

(Yes I'm just joking (apathetically).)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Linked

Post by Linked » Tue May 31, 2022 1:21 pm

You've only got so much time and attention, and millions of people who want it. Many of those are good causes that are worthy of time and attention. But you can't care about/worry about/fix them all. Be deliberate in the things that you care about and care for them well. The only person you must impress is yourself.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Tue May 31, 2022 2:36 pm

Sometimes you just need an emotional/mental break from the constant craziness.
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

glass shelf

Post by glass shelf » Wed Jun 08, 2022 4:15 am

Wrong? No, just human. Coming from a place of privilege to be able to do so? Yep. i mean, I have to just try not to care about gas prices currently because they're hitting me hard with my commute, but I also realize that for other people, it means they have to make really, really hard choices that I am fortunate enough not to have to make at this point.

It's overwhelming to realize how big the problems are.

stealthbishop

Post by stealthbishop » Wed Jun 08, 2022 7:24 am

Compassion fatigue is a very real thing. Even secondary or vicarious PTSD sometimes. We have to take breaks and try to find peace and joy in our lives in the midst of so much suffering all around us. Humans have never been exposed in our entire history as a species to this much suffering bombarding us through 24hr news on television and now on our phones constantly. We have to protect ourselves and take breaks from the suffering and violence in the news. Most of our nervous systems can't handle what we are exposed to. So we need to unplug sometimes to recharge and give ourselves a break.
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:37 pm

God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.
- Reinhold Niebuhr, 1932

It's a VERY big world and a person is a VERY small part of it. You an drive yourself insane caring for all the world's problems. Apathy is being realistic. You can't help everyone. If you can't do anything about it, it's perfectly human to not care.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Jun 08, 2022 9:50 pm

Imagine all the angst it would cause gun supporters if they had to view the mangled corpses of the 4th graders in Uvalde, Texas. Best to maintain complete apathy to such suffering.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Not Buying It

Post by Not Buying It » Mon Jun 13, 2022 5:37 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:37 pm
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and wisdom to know the difference.
- Reinhold Niebuhr, 1932

It's a VERY big world and a person is a VERY small part of it. You an drive yourself insane caring for all the world's problems. Apathy is being realistic. You can't help everyone. If you can't do anything about it, it's perfectly human to not care.
I think all of us go through the "compassion fatigue" Stealth mentions at some point, it is natural. I think we can't be expected to be working to solve everything. And self-care is important, that is absolutely true. Everyone is apathetic sometimes.

But I have to balance that against the fact that the reason we live in a society with such incredible disparity and inequity is because the people with privilege have no incentive or motivation to change anything, and the people without privilege don't have the power to change anything. I think along with the periods of apathy we all feel - which is natural - we have to have some periods of being part of the change, or we condemn some of our brothers and sisters in this world of ours to always being "lesser than". Right now in the U.S. racism, misogyny, transphobia, and homophobia are more visible and aggressive than they been in literally decades, and there are powerful forces trying to drag us back into the 1950s. It shouldn't be considered political or controversial for me to say that we should be pushing back against those who seek to undo the gains made during the Civil Rights movement, and we should be supporting our LGBTQ+ friends and neighbors as they are subject to unprecedented legislative attacks. In some ways, some of our friends, neighbors, and family need us to speak up now more than ever.

Is apathy natural? Sure. Do we all feel it sometimes? I know I do. Am I part of the problem if I stay apathetic all of the time? I'm afraid the answer to that question is yes.
"The truth is elegantly simple. The lie needs complex apologia. 4 simple words: Joe made it up. It answers everything with the perfect simplicity of Occam's Razor. Every convoluted excuse withers." - Some guy on Reddit called disposazelph