I'm officially a Liar!!!!

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Mackman

I'm officially a Liar!!!!

Post by Mackman » Mon May 30, 2022 12:30 pm

Yes I am a liar , but I feel no remorse !!! I had my first temple recommend interview after returning to church 3 years ago to please my wife. I lied to get it but I have no regrets lying to a fake organization that lies to soooo many. Am I a terrible person ? Am I going to hell, outer darkness or some other terrible fate ???

slk

Re: I'm officially a Liar!!!!

Post by slk » Mon May 30, 2022 7:51 pm

Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. They've been lying to us for 200 years. The hardest one for me would be tithing but pretty sure you can just tell them you're doing bank transfers and keeping it confidential.

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Tue May 31, 2022 5:55 am

If you ever get challenged, just remind whoever confronts you that some things that are true are not very useful.

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Tue May 31, 2022 6:50 am

There is nothing wrong at all with lying on a temple rec interview to keep the peace at home.

It's like lying about your devotion to Lord of the Rings to keep a LOTR fan happy that you're still involved... none of it is true, so the only thing you need to worry about is your relationship with your wife.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue May 31, 2022 10:04 am

I think I can get through the TR questions without lying. The thinking behind the Yes/No answers is completely different than what a believer would think, such as: (Out-loud answers in bold. My internal thoughts in italics.)

1. Do you have faith in and a testimony of God, the Eternal Father; His Son, Jesus Christ; and the Holy Ghost? - Yes. I "testify" that those are the fake versions of deity that MORmONs worship.

4. Do you sustain the President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as the prophet, seer, and revelator and as the only person on the earth authorized to exercise all priesthood keys?

Do you sustain the members of the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles as prophets, seers, and revelators?

Do you sustain the other General Authorities and local leaders of the Church? - Yes. What did Gordon Hinckley say on national TV when he was asked if he was a prophet? "I am called as such." Or something like that? So Yes - I "sustain" that those old codgers are "called as such." In other words: Those are their corporate titles. I don't think they do any Prophet-ing, Seer-ing or Revelator-ing.
\

11. Do you understand and obey the Word of Wisdom? Yes. Oh boy. Maybe I need to re-think that first sentence in this post. Let's just say I do a much better job at living the "Word of Wisdom" as written in section 89 than Joseph Smith did. Is it still a lie to answer yes?

So I guess I might have to bend the truth a bit to get through the TR questions. Like others have mentioned, LD$-Inc. has bent the truth for almost 200 years around literally every thing I was taught/believed for my entire life. If I ever "have to" get a TR again, I wouldn't give a second thought to that bending of the truth. (Dear Zeus, I hope I never "have to" get a TR again...)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Angel

Post by Angel » Tue May 31, 2022 2:27 pm

wtfluff wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 10:04 am
I think I can get through the TR questions without lying. The thinking behind the Yes/No answers is completely different than what a believer would think, such as: (Out-loud answers in bold. My internal thoughts in italics.)

1. Do you have faith in and a testimony of God, the Eternal Father; His Son, Jesus Christ; and the Holy Ghost? - Yes. I "testify" that those are the fake versions of deity that MORmONs worship.

4. Do you sustain the President of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as the prophet, seer, and revelator and as the only person on the earth authorized to exercise all priesthood keys?

Do you sustain the members of the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles as prophets, seers, and revelators?

Do you sustain the other General Authorities and local leaders of the Church? - Yes. What did Gordon Hinckley say on national TV when he was asked if he was a prophet? "I am called as such." Or something like that? So Yes - I "sustain" that those old codgers are "called as such." In other words: Those are their corporate titles. I don't think they do any Prophet-ing, Seer-ing or Revelator-ing.
\

Do you sustain pedophile local leader?
I still have nightmares raising my hand in front of those kids. Can't do that one, unless "sustain" means tuff love - put them in jail where they can get the help they need.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Tue May 31, 2022 4:38 pm

Angel wrote:
Tue May 31, 2022 2:27 pm
unless "sustain" means tuff love - put them in jail where they can get the help they need.
That's definitely something I can sustain:
  • Do yo sustain mandatory reporting for local leaders, and full prosecution of any predator in LD$-Inc. currently being protected by local leaders and/or hiding behind Kirton|McKonkie?
YES!!!

Too bad a question like that would never be related to getting a TR, and never be anything that the Corp. would ever consider. :cry:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Post by moksha » Wed Jun 01, 2022 1:07 am

Just think of all the people bearing their testimony and using the phrase, "I know it is true".

Think of the Brethren allowing members to believe that they talk directly with God.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:50 am

Doing things for spouses/family is absolutely worth it. And to me, is it really lying?

Here are some statements I have used over the last decade of getting a temple recommend, and I heartily endorse anyone's free use of them. Keep in mind, my heresy is very well known by now in the stake, so they are somewhat "used" to what I bring to the table. But to me, I'm not lying at all, just keeping it real within the bounds of propriety. Here we go!

"Well, I don't believe that quite like like you do." (Getting nuanced beliefs out there.)

"I generally don't have a problem with that." (If I don't want to discuss it, really.)

"Here's where I have a concern..."(If I'm in a pulling the tiger's tail kind of mood.)

"You know, there's a lot in the Word of Wisdom that doesn't make any sense." (That one was rather specific.)

"Yep." (When I'm in a hurry.)

"Nope."(When I've had enough.)

And my personal favourite, "I'm not struggling at all. I'm as firm in my beliefs as you are." (When recently a counsellor asked me if I'm struggling with my testimony.)

Nuance, nuance, nuance. If they don't like it, they can simply pound sand. You have the power, not them.

Now hang out with the wife at the temple on occasion, pretend to like it, and maybe pull off a quick nap and then move on with your life! I think about everything else BUT the actual temple goings on when I go. It's pretty soothing when you don't pay attention.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

stealthbishop

Post by stealthbishop » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:46 am

I call it a reverse temple recommend. You are a temple yourself. And only certain people are worthy of your thoughts, feelings and beliefs inside of you. You do not need to let anyone in unless they are worthy. "Do not cast your pearls before swine"--so to speak. In toxic systems you must protect yourself. You are under no obligation to fully share with anyone including in a TR interview. You are interviewing them actually. And they may not be worthy of the truth inside of you or they may not be ready for it yet or sufficiently prepared. You are protecting yourself and the bonds you have with spouse and family. Full support to you!
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode