"Keep Sweet" or I will break you.

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

Re: "Keep Sweet" or I will break you.

Post by Hagoth » Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:33 am

moksha wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:46 pm
stealthbishop wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:24 am
The Community of Christ (RLDS). The LDS. And the FLDS.
A progression from the gentlest form of Mormonism to the most virulent. Brighamite Mormons would see this as a Goldilocks-type of thing, where the middle one is "just right".
But the measurement is poison, not temperature.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

moksha

Post by moksha » Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:37 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:33 am
moksha wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:46 pm
stealthbishop wrote:
Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:24 am
The Community of Christ (RLDS). The LDS. And the FLDS.
A progression from the gentlest form of Mormonism to the most virulent. Brighamite Mormons would see this as a Goldilocks-type of thing, where the middle one is "just right".
But the measurement is poison, not temperature.
Okay, the religious bowl of porridge that is sweet and creamy to the one loaded with plutonium.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

FreeFallin

Post by FreeFallin » Sun Jul 03, 2022 8:55 am

I finished watching this last night and ended up crying. The ending is so sad because the people continue to worship and revere a predator. The recording of him "training" his wives is absolutely disgusting! But more personally, I recognize the way I (we) were trained to say yes to things that are abusive to ourselves and override and then extinguish the inner voice that screams no. We go on to defend that yes. I'm so very glad to have found my way out of Mormonism. The FLDS are our near cousins no matter how hard the main branch of LDS tries to distance themselves. But for government "control," the main branch would be the FLDS. Thank God for the overreach of the government!

annotatedbom

Post by annotatedbom » Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:49 pm

jfro18 wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:03 am
I really want to watch this but am pretty sure watching it while my wife is around would be problematic... hopefully I can check it out soon though.
I was going to suggest to my TBM wife that we watch it, but I was going make sure I completely got it if somehow it seemed like it might be critical of her (LDS) faith. Before I got around to it, she recommended we watch it based on her sister's (also a total believer) recommendation. We watched, and my wife was captivated by the proverbial train wreck. I think it had good production quality and tells a good story.

All that being said, it is difficult to watch. The abuse of the FLDS members in general and of the child wives in specific is heart wrenching and disgusting. It's rated Mature Audience for a reason, and it aint because of the couple/few f-bombs. It's not graphic, but the subject matter is seriously disturbing.

alas

Post by alas » Tue Jul 05, 2022 4:42 pm

You know, I am glad y’all are talking about this, cause I know I can’t watch it. It would just hit too close to home and there are still times I need to respect trigger warnings.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Jul 14, 2022 10:47 am

We finally finished the last episode last night.

It was amazing to see the people who figured out how to leave and I was surprised by the two girls that moved back to short creek. That place is so beautiful I can understand why they did.

It’s a reminder to me that those of us born into the house of Joseph Smith will always be traumatized by his narcissistic personality and desire to “restore” polygamy back to the earth in these latter days.

The mainstream LDS church will never accept that we are all brothers and sisters of Joseph’s cult.

The ending was the best when her moving trailer opened and everything she had fell out of the trailer. And by everything, I mean the long underwear. :lol:
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg