Stealthbishop: The Off-Broadway Play

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
stealthbishop

Stealthbishop: The Off-Broadway Play

Post by stealthbishop » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:21 am

As some of you may know, when I was on the NOM 1.0 board I was put in contact through another NOMer with a researcher who was studying clergy going through a faith crisis (I was a bishop at the time). She flew out to me and I met with her over two days and she interviewed me and tape recorded our interview. The end result was a book that was published about different clergy and their faith crisis'. My name and certain details of my life were changed for obvious reasons. The name of the book is Caught Behind The Pulpit: Leaving Belief Behind. My name in the book is "Joe" the Mormon Bishop. The book came out quite a while ago. Maybe 7-8 years ago?

About 5 years ago, the researcher contacted me and said that there was the possibility of a play being developed based on the book and if I would allow my words to be used in the play if deemed appropriate. I did give my written consent. However, later she said that Joe did not make it into the play it looked like. I was a little disappointed since I thought the Mormon angle would have been interesting to others.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago and she contacts me again and lets me know that Joe is indeed in the play and I am invited to New York for the premier with two complimentary tickets! She said that there could be press there who may want to interview people. (She was always very good and cautious about protecting the identity of the research participants). I was really excited and I want to go. To be able to see an actor who is portraying you and using your words--that's a once in a lifetime experience! The name of the play is The Unbelieving:

https://www.59e59.org/shows/show-detail ... believing/

When I brought it up with DW she wasn't thrilled or that excited. She is much more of a cautious person than I am and thinks about all the possible negative consequences. We had a little bit of a small rupture over it but we talked it through. I think we will be going.

It's amazing that we both feel we have to protect ourselves from negative consequences of the church STILL at this point in our lives. I'll keep NOM updated but I thought everyone should know since this wouldn't have happened without NOM and I and my DW may need some support with this. The premier is in October.
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

Angel

Re: Stealthbishop: The Off-Broadway Play

Post by Angel » Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:30 am

Awesome! I'll be in NY but not during dates of play :(, will ask kiddo if they want to go.

You know what they say - book is always better than movie/play (very stressful to actors who never get it quite right). Mormonism seems to be finding its way into all kinds of shows, quite the entertainment 😉 😄
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

AllieOop

Post by AllieOop » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:10 pm

stealthbishop wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:21 am
As some of you may know, when I was on the NOM 1.0 board I was put in contact through another NOMer with a researcher who was studying clergy going through a faith crisis (I was a bishop at the time). She flew out to me and I met with her over two days and she interviewed me and tape recorded our interview. The end result was a book that was published about different clergy and their faith crisis'. My name and certain details of my life were changed for obvious reasons. The name of the book is Caught Behind The Pulpit: Leaving Belief Behind. My name in the book is "Joe" the Mormon Bishop. The book came out quite a while ago. Maybe 7-8 years ago?

About 5 years ago, the researcher contacted me and said that there was the possibility of a play being developed based on the book and if I would allow my words to be used in the play if deemed appropriate. I did give my written consent. However, later she said that Joe did not make it into the play it looked like. I was a little disappointed since I thought the Mormon angle would have been interesting to others.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago and she contacts me again and lets me know that Joe is indeed in the play and I am invited to New York for the premier with two complimentary tickets! She said that there could be press there who may want to interview people. (She was always very good and cautious about protecting the identity of the research participants). I was really excited and I want to go. To be able to see an actor who is portraying you and using your words--that's a once in a lifetime experience! The name of the play is The Unbelieving:

https://www.59e59.org/shows/show-detail ... believing/

When I brought it up with DW she wasn't thrilled or that excited. She is much more of a cautious person than I am and thinks about all the possible negative consequences. We had a little bit of a small rupture over it but we talked it through. I think we will be going.

It's amazing that we both feel we have to protect ourselves from negative consequences of the church STILL at this point in our lives. I'll keep NOM updated but I thought everyone should know since this wouldn't have happened without NOM and I and my DW may need some support with this. The premier is in October.
Wow Stealth....very cool :)

I think we should give our opinions here regarding who we think should play you....haha!

I'm voting for Clint Eastwood's son:

"There came a time when the desire to know the truth about the church became stronger than the desire to know the church was true."

Linked

Post by Linked » Wed Jun 15, 2022 1:47 pm

That is so cool Stealth! Congrats on putting your stamp on the world in one more way!
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Wed Jun 15, 2022 2:36 pm

This is really cool.

I vote Matthew McConaughey when it hits the big screen!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 6:10 pm

Very cool and congrats.

I'll look for the book and hope the play makes its way across the country.

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:50 am

THE UNBELIEVING
By Marin Gazzaniga
Directed by Steve Cosson
In the classic tale of religious conversion, finding God holds the promise of a life filled with purpose and meaning. But what happens when this transformation occurs in reverse, and a faith you have built your life around begins to fall away? The Unbelieving takes a penetrating look into the lives of practicing clergy members— Catholics, Episcopalians, Evangelicals, Fundamentalists, Jews, Mormons, and Muslims—who have stopped believing in God.

Staged by NYC’s acclaimed downtown theater company The Civilians in the brilliant investigative-theater style they pioneered, THE UNBELIEVING tells the intimate stories of these faith leaders. Using their actual words, obtained during a groundbreaking study by philosopher Daniel C. Dennett and qualitative researcher Linda LaScola, the play explores the struggles, courage, and great humor of these “unbelievers” as they face the hardest decision of their lives—whether to continue living in secret or to risk everything by telling the truth.

Based on the book Caught In The Pulpit: Leaving Belief Behind by Daniel C. Dennett and Linda LaScola
Sounds like something you will really enjoy. If the Strengthening the Membership Committee sends an inquisitor, just tell them your name is Hagoth Ryder of the Purple Sage Ryders.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

FreeFallin

Post by FreeFallin » Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:46 am

That is so cool! What an opportunity to have been a part of that. Can't wait to hear more. :)

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:57 am

Exciting! I hope Mrs. Stealth will find it edifying in the long run. I also hope it does well, has a long run, and helps a lot of people.

And I wish I could be there!
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:37 am

Congrats!

How far of a trip is New York for you? Will this be your first time visiting the city?
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Jeffret

Post by Jeffret » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:59 am

Fun!

Just remember the character is a character, possibly an amalgamation of different people or ideas, with probably of a lot of artistic license thrown in.
"Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
And the truth isn't what you want to see" (Charles Hart, "The Music of the Night")

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:07 am

Jeffret wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:59 am
Just remember the character is a character, possibly an amalgamation of different people or ideas, with probably of a lot of artistic license thrown in.
If they show this amalgamized bishop having several wives, just nudge your wife and whisper "artistic license".
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Jeffret

Post by Jeffret » Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:19 am

Angel wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:30 am
You know what they say - book is always better than movie/play (very stressful to actors who never get it quite right).
Not really true as an absolute, of course. Opinions differ, but I know of movies that are better than the book. "The Birds": The Hitchcock movie is more engaging than the original. "All About Eve": The movie is a thrilling masterpiece, but I've heard the original story is fairly dull. "How to Train Your Dragon": The movie is very enchanting and engaging, but my daughter says the book is a little uninspiring.

And then there are some where the different media provide some interesting and enlightening perspectives, where both are worth experiencing. "The Princess Bride": The movie is great but the book provides lots of cool background and detail. "Arrival": The movie was great but didn't flesh out some of the important concepts as well as the book.

And some where the stage production is better than the book. "Wicked": I loved the musical so I read the book, but only made it through because I kept hoping something would redeem it. (Nothing did.) "Man of La Mancha": Still haven't made it through the original, but I love the musical.
"Close your eyes, for your eyes will only tell the truth,
And the truth isn't what you want to see" (Charles Hart, "The Music of the Night")

Angel

Post by Angel » Sat Jun 18, 2022 6:42 pm

Jeffret wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 9:19 am
Angel wrote:
Wed Jun 15, 2022 11:30 am
You know what they say - book is always better than movie/play (very stressful to actors who never get it quite right).
Not really true as an absolute, of course. Opinions differ, but I know of movies that are better than the book. "The Birds": The Hitchcock movie is more engaging than the original. "All About Eve": The movie is a thrilling masterpiece, but I've heard the original story is fairly dull. "How to Train Your Dragon": The movie is very enchanting and engaging, but my daughter says the book is a little uninspiring.

And then there are some where the different media provide some interesting and enlightening perspectives, where both are worth experiencing. "The Princess Bride": The movie is great but the book provides lots of cool background and detail. "Arrival": The movie was great but didn't flesh out some of the important concepts as well as the book.

And some where the stage production is better than the book. "Wicked": I loved the musical so I read the book, but only made it through because I kept hoping something would redeem it. (Nothing did.) "Man of La Mancha": Still haven't made it through the original, but I love the musical.
True - Shadowlands was also a movie to watch before reading the book. Just something the theater department has said - when we read, we all form characters differently in our minds, attach them to people we know - without any images to go by, we all create our own. Just one of those interesting things to realize, we're all in our own unique imagined individual worlds while reading.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

stealthbishop

Post by stealthbishop » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:12 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:37 am
Congrats!

How far of a trip is New York for you? Will this be your first time visiting the city?
We have visited before just for an evening when we were both at a training event in a neighboring state. It's definitely a plane ride for us. Driving would take a while.
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

stealthbishop

Post by stealthbishop » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:14 am

Jeffret wrote:
Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:59 am
Fun!

Yes, very true. The play is "BASED" on the book so there will be a lot of artistic license in the writing, directing and acting. I absolutely need to remind myself of that.
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

stealthbishop

Post by stealthbishop » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:15 am

Thanks everyone for all the support and each comment. I will keep all of you updated!!!
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode