Mormon No More on Hulu

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Red Ryder

Mormon No More on Hulu

Post by Red Ryder » Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:22 am

We just finished the first episode of Mormon No More on Hulu. The show tells the story of Lena and Dally, two Mormon women, each married to men and have children together. They meet at a ward party and realize they are in love and are lesbian. They each divorce their husbands in order to pursue an authentic sexuality and relationship together.

Trigger warning, you’ll have to stomach the voice of Dallin Oaks and Jeff Holland as they spew their hate filled narrative against same sex marriage.

The first episode also features Matt, the BYU valedictorian who tells the back story of Harry Fisher, a gay BYU student who died by suicide and influenced Matt to come out.

This show triggered my emotions. Anger and sadness prevailed as I realize the church teachings are toxic.

I hate this organization and the leaders who run it!
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Wonderment

Re: Mormon No More on Hulu

Post by Wonderment » Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:13 pm

That's amazing that Sister Ryder watched this with you. Do you think that you will watch any further episodes, or is it just too stressful? I have difficulty watching or listening to video/ audio with the voices of G.A.'s, other church officials, etc, because they strike me as being so toxic and so completely out of touch. -- Wndr.

DPRoberts

Post by DPRoberts » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:31 am

Just finished the first episode as well. This is so well done so far as I've gone. I was most touched by Matt Easton's motivation for coming out as he did, and his touching interaction with the bereaved father of another BYU student who took his own life. I wonder if JRH had any idea about that and just how bad he looks in retrospect.

I find myself wondering if members are going to be given a veiled "Hulu commandment" after UTBOH and now this. I think this will be much more effective as it is told from a neutral perspective.
When an honest man discovers he is mistaken, he will either cease to be mistaken or cease to be honest. -anon
The belief that there is only one truth, and that oneself is in possession of it, is the root of all evil in the world. -Max Born

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:45 pm

Wonderment wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:13 pm
That's amazing that Sister Ryder watched this with you. Do you think that you will watch any further episodes, or is it just too stressful? I have difficulty watching or listening to video/ audio with the voices of G.A.'s, other church officials, etc, because they strike me as being so toxic and so completely out of touch. -- Wndr.
She’s the one that brought the show to my attention. She said she saw it referenced on a Facebook post. She’s been an LGBTQ ally for a few years now after taking time to understand two of her cousins who have come out and subsequently marriage their same sex spouses. It makes family reunions fun!

We watched the next episode which was really cool. It showed the behind the scenes efforts by Brad Talbot to organize the “light up the Y” protest. The cameras followed as they did it again after BYU shut down the Y to demonstrations. It was really cool to see them pull it off. Kudos to Brad’s TBM mom for participating. Nobody was arrested. 😀

By the way, the show is more than just the story of these two women. It also discussed the CES Letter which Sister Ryder then admitted she had read a few months back. Or at least half of it before the cog dis shut it down.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:49 pm

DPRoberts wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:31 am
Just finished the first episode as well. This is so well done so far as I've gone. I was most touched by Matt Easton's motivation for coming out as he did, and his touching interaction with the bereaved father of another BYU student who took his own life. I wonder if JRH had any idea about that and just how bad he looks in retrospect.

I find myself wondering if members are going to be given a veiled "Hulu commandment" after UTBOH and now this. I think this will be much more effective as it is told from a neutral perspective.
Yes that was such an amazing side story I wasn’t aware of. So emotional to hear Harry’s story told through Matt.

Holland can stuff his pants with fire ants for all I hope and dream. That man is clearly full of hatred and anger. He’s not a good person in any form or fashion.

stealthbishop

Post by stealthbishop » Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:48 am

We need to watch this. Most definitely.
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:30 am

I have to give a shout out to Sally’s mom and dad.

They have decided to wear rainbow pins to church so that everyone knows they support their daughter. Sally’s mom is asked if she is worried what people think and she’s says “not anymore… I don’t care what people think anymore.”

She explains how issues don’t matter until they affect you personally.

During the wedding dress shopping session she tried to explain garments are “an outward expression of an inward commitment”. Sister Ryder picked up on the canned answer and rolled her eyes. LOL.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:42 pm

Paul (lena’s ex husband) did a AMA on Reddit.

Here’s the link.

https://reddit.com/r/exmormon/comments ... _more_ama/

Great questions and answers from Paul.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:41 pm

Mrs. Hagoth and I were both in tears by the end of the first episode.

Oaks and Holland look and sound like reptilian overlords from some sort of cult-sanctioned inquisition. This church is so screwed.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:21 am

I found my eyes leaking as well.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:57 am

Hagoth wrote:
Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:41 pm
Mrs. Hagoth and I were both in tears by the end of the first episode.

Oaks and Holland look and sound like reptilian overlords from some sort of cult-sanctioned inquisition. This church is so screwed.
I had one of those stepping out of my mind and into self awareness moments where listening to their voices and watching them speak at the podium was comparable to watching documentaries where leaders of Scientology, jehovah’s witnesses, or even FLDS prophets are speaking. No longer existed the feeling of the familiar comforting words of the prophets that I grew up listening to.

A “these dudes are 100% weirdos” moment.
Cnsl1 wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:21 am
I found my eyes leaking as well.
Wait until the end and pay particular attention to Sally’s mom. Her smile and countenance is amazing to see when getting ready for the wedding.

stealthbishop

Post by stealthbishop » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:16 am

Watched all of this last night with Ms. Stealth and also with our youngest. It was SO damn powerful. Poignant and tear jerking but hopeful in the end.

I could really see myself in Sally's parents even though we do not have LGBTQ+ children that we know of. For 10 years after my faith crisis I wore my rainbow pin and tried to be a "safe" oasis and tried to make the church work since my wife was all in. Sally's mother wearing a sleeveless dress for the first time since she was a teenager definitely resonated with my wife.

The very recent references to talks by Oaks and Holland juxtaposed with real people that they are hurting with the anti-LGBTQ+ toxicity is SO powerful. Some amazing stories and journeys in this show. So well done!
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

Mackman

Post by Mackman » Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:38 pm

Just finished watching the mini series on Hulu , I was never in favor of gay marriage previously but have really changed my mind watching what some have gone thru !!!! It was eye opening for me to say the least especially because I am older 62 !! Our generation was never exposed to some social issues that we have today, I am grateful and enlightened. It also triggered me a little about my own faith crisis , tough to watch in parts.

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:28 am

My wife and I watched it when it came out. Out of all the things that I've tried sharing with her over the last 11 years, this one had the biggest impact. She really identified with the mom. My wife is going down the rabbit hole and hasn't attended since the start of Covid. The missionaries dropped by unannounced, uninvited yet again. She handled it. When they asked what they could do for her she replied, "Please don't come back."

Progress.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:43 am

Hermey wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:28 am
My wife and I watched it when it came out. Out of all the things that I've tried sharing with her over the last 11 years, this one had the biggest impact. She really identified with the mom. My wife is going down the rabbit hole and hasn't attended since the start of Covid. The missionaries dropped by unannounced, uninvited yet again. She handled it. When they asked what they could do for her she replied, "Please don't come back."

Progress.
Congrats Hermey!

moksha

Post by moksha » Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:00 am

Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha