4 % tithing sounds like a good idea !!

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
blazerb

Re: 4 % tithing sounds like a good idea !!

Post by blazerb » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:59 am

Advocate wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:04 pm
+1 on the 0% plan.

In terms of changing the meaning of tithing, take a look at this Joseph Smith Translation scripture in the Old Testament:
Wherefore, Abram paid unto him tithes of all that he had, of all the riches which he possessed, which God had given him more than that which he had need.
JST, Genesis 14:39

If you research "tithing" in the topical guide (study help included with church scriptures), you'll find that the "tithing" section includes a reference to that same chapter, Genesis 14:20:
And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.
What is more interesting is that you won't find in the topical guide a reference to JST, Genesis 14:39. I'm sure it was just an oversight by the correlation committee.
So am I understanding your point correctly that, scripturally, tithing should be 10% of the wealth someone has accumulated rather than the income a poor person had last week?

Mackman

Post by Mackman » Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:24 am

So getting back to the topic at hand and facing continued pressure from my TBM wife I have settled on 2% tithing which seems to be the original amount the church started with prior to 1837/1838. That way in my mind I can say I am a full tithe payer. Aren't mental gymnastics wonderful !!!

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Jul 21, 2022 10:56 am

Mackman wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:24 am
So getting back to the topic at hand and facing continued pressure from my TBM wife I have settled on 2% tithing which seems to be the original amount the church started with prior to 1837/1838. That way in my mind I can say I am a full tithe payer. Aren't mental gymnastics wonderful !!!
No Mack man you are doing it all wrong.

Just tell everyone you’ve set up a Charitable Remainder Trust which means you will live your life charitably by paying your bills, fulfilling your civic duties, and saving 10% of your money for your future. Then when you die, anything left over will be donated to the building up of the kingdom of God on earth. If you get any pushback, just point out that the church already is set up to accept these types of estate donations and that your just following the pattern used in other worlds. And when I say “other worlds” I mean Mitt Romney. 😂

Then gently remind your wife that your Charitable Remainder Trust pays out everything to the church before she receives any sort of life insurance or inheritance and that her Bishop can send over the relief society president to fill out a bishops storehouse food order.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

stuck

Post by stuck » Thu Jul 21, 2022 3:12 pm

I figure I don't have any obligation to pay tithing now since I paid on my gross for several years and at minimum should have paid the way Rock Waterman suggests: 10% on any extra money I have after expenses right? So I feel I'm paid up for the rest of my life. We have all probably overpaid but would the church ever go back and agree that Rock Waterman was actually right and refund everyone who overpaid? Noooo :evil:

stuck

Post by stuck » Fri Jul 22, 2022 12:22 pm

Now that we know that know that the LDS church is not what it claims to be it makes sense that many here are on the 0% tithing plan. By the way, does anyone know the status of that lawsuit against the church to refund tithing?