Sacrifices for Zion + Zelph

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Hagoth

Sacrifices for Zion + Zelph

Post by Hagoth » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:43 am

Yesterday I was eating lunch with a friend in the Pinedale, WY city park when a family, an older couple and their adult son walked up and sat right next to us. The barely said hello before the father launched into a monologue that seemed to center, for no apparent reason, around vacations in Central America. My friend said something about the amazing ancient cities and the guy said, "you know, most of what's down there hasn't been discovered yet." I thought, here we go.

He told us they were on their way home from drilling a water well at Adam-Ondi-Ahman, the deepest, largest bore well ever drilled in the region, through the thickest bedrock, or something like that. He pointed to his gigantic, semi-sized drilling rig parked down the street. He talked about the massive amount of pipe and other materials required, and the multiple times they had to fly and drive back and forth. I asked him if the church paid him for it and he said, "OH NO! I'm a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints! I do it to help them! We travel all over the country doing this for them." My friend, who knows more about such things, told me later that we were looking at hundreds of thousand dollars of personal out-of-pocket investment. The guy was boiling over with pride at what a glorious sacrifice he had made for Jesus. I was thinking of all the people who didn't own multi-hundred-billion-dollar corporations who are suffering for need of clean water.

Then he said, "Did you know there are all kinds of ancient mounds back there that were built by the ancient inhabitants of this land?" and told us all about how Adam and Eve lived in Jackson County, and that Adam's altar is still there, and the remains of a Nephite tower, about the continent-wide war that ended an entire civilization (according to all the archaeological evidence, of course!) that ended that civilization at exactly 400 AD, etc. etc. I asked, "and didn't Noah also build his ark back there?" He threw back his head and laughed at what a ridiculous notion that is. I said, "I think I heard that from Elder Holland." He stopped laughing.

Then we got a lecture about the mountain of archaeological evidence that supports the BoM in every respect. Rod Meldrum's name kept coming up. And DNA. Irrefutable evidence from DNA. There is no longer any room for debate about the Israelite origins of the Native Americans. And he was so excited to tell us about Zelph, the white Lamanite. I just sat there trying to keep my jaw off the ground enough to continue biting my tongue. It was fascinating. He knew EVERYTHING about the REAL story of ancient America.

I kept telling the guy that I'm a member of the church and an archaeologist, but the lecture went on unabated. In fact he laughed at me when I tried to say something about my archaeological work. Apparently, anything that isn't Rod Meldrum approved is a laughable waste of time. There was absolutely no sign of any interest or even room for discussion from my side. I wasn't trying to debate at all, I was just trying to make it a conversation rather than a lecture. I finally realized that this must be his standard every-member-a-missionary discussion and that someone had been getting this lecture at every rest stop and Denny's between here and Jackson County.

My friend, who is not Mormon, but who has been with me through my entire journey, was amazed beyond words at the degree of indoctrination and cultish devotion he had just witnessed. It was the topic of discussion for the entire 4-hour drive home.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

jfro18

Re: Sacrifices for Zion + Zelph

Post by jfro18 » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:06 pm

It's mindblowing when you see it and this seems like the extreme end of it.

We were at a family reunion last month and some people were talking in the terms of doing temple volunteering and/or senior missions and it was just so sad to me... and then it went to which family was closest to being Lamanites and that's just bad.

But there's nothing you could've ever said that would've changed their minds one bit and goes to show that Meldrum can be quite effective within his own audience, which is also depressing.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:06 pm

Why are they drill for wells in Adam-Ondi-Ahman?

Are they going to start moving the saints back home?
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:25 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:06 pm

That's a great question. Maybe they're going to start selling holy bottled water from the Garden of Eden.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Wonderment

Post by Wonderment » Mon Aug 22, 2022 1:15 am

Then we got a lecture about the mountain of archaeological evidence that supports the BoM in every respect. Rod Meldrum's name kept coming up. And DNA. Irrefutable evidence from DNA. There is no longer any room for debate about the Israelite origins of the Native Americans. And he was so excited to tell us about Zelph, the white Lamanite. I just sat there trying to keep my jaw off the ground enough to continue biting my tongue. It was fascinating. He knew EVERYTHING about the REAL story of ancient America.

I kept telling the guy that I'm a member of the church and an archaeologist, but the lecture went on unabated. In fact he laughed at me when I tried to say something about my archaeological work. Apparently, anything that isn't Rod Meldrum approved is a laughable waste of time. There was absolutely no sign of any interest or even room for discussion from my side. I wasn't trying to debate at all, I was just trying to make it a conversation rather than a lecture. I finally realized that this must be his standard every-member-a-missionary discussion and that someone had been getting this lecture at every rest stop and Denny's between here and Jackson County.
You were very polite. One of the problems with proselytizers who just wind up and let fly like a chatty cathy doll is that they have absolutely no idea how they are coming across, and they are clueless about they affect others or how they are perceived. Nor do they care. They have ZERO interest in anything but delivering a spiel. To be fair, it's not just TBM's, it's also JW's and evangelical fundamentalists. It's anyone with a religious axe to grind. And to laugh at people makes the proselytizer even more condescending. This is how you know that they are deeply enmeshed in a cult.

You did really well not to tell the guy off. He was in your space and just as obnoxious as hell. You're right, the guy probably hangs out at rest stops and snags people into discussions as they emerge from the bathroom. I think of myself as a patient person, but I tend to lose patience quickly with clowns like this. :roll: -- Wndr.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:34 am

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:25 pm
Red Ryder wrote:
Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:06 pm

That's a great question. Maybe they're going to start selling holy bottled water from the Garden of Eden.
They will sell it though an MLM of course. :lol:
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound