Help declining a sacrament meeting talk

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
2bizE

Re: Help declining a sacrament meeting talk

Post by 2bizE » Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:05 pm

I would love to speak in sacrament meeting. If you would like me to speak, I will only be able to speak on the following topics:
1) Polygamy and polyandry
2) Brigham Young’s Adam God Doctrine
3) How the church protects sexual predators
4) How the WoW teaches we should drink beer
5) How Donald Trump is an a$$
~2bizE

alas

Post by alas » Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:43 am

2bizE wrote:
Fri Sep 09, 2022 8:05 pm
I would love to speak in sacrament meeting. If you would like me to speak, I will only be able to speak on the following topics:
1) Polygamy and polyandry
2) Brigham Young’s Adam God Doctrine
3) How the church protects sexual predators
4) How the WoW teaches we should drink beer
5) How Donald Trump is an a$$
I would be willing to talk about how when the prophet says we should get vaccinated and wear masks, it is a commandment from God, not a political suggestion from some libral. And how it should be extra obvious because he is ALSO a medical doctor, and that only idiots turn health advice into political fodder. And only evil apostates turn the prophet’s instructions into optional things you only have to do if you want. And tell a nice story of a young man who when the prophet said to get vaccinated, broke up with his fiancé because she didn’t go out and immediately get her vaccination because he knew then that she was not willing to follow the prophet when he gave instructions to the church. He knew he wanted a faithful wife, not one who put her political ideas ahead of following the Lord. But I might only tell bishop I was going to talk on following the prophet.

sparky

Post by sparky » Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:31 am

Regarding the comments on Trump, vaccinations, etc. One thing I feel fortunate about is that my ward/area is not full of extremists and politics rarely gets brought up. I can only imagine how frustrating that would be based on so many others' experiences I hear about. Then again, it probably would have pushed DW out more...

moksha

Post by moksha » Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:20 pm

Not that I would ever be asked, but it might be fun to give a Sunday talk. I would choose the topic of Being Kind, Loving, and Gracious to the "Others". Since it is a Sunday, there would be something good on PBS in the evening.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

sparky

Post by sparky » Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:36 pm

I did not at all expect to have to bump this thread so soon, but that's Mormonism for you. Unbelievably, I've received another email from the same BP member "assigning" me to give a talk in an upcoming sacrament meeting. I never heard a word back from him after declining the first one just a few weeks ago. This new email is essentially the same as the first one, just with a new date and topic. Doesn't even acknowledge my first response.

I've heard of this sort of thing happening, but it's comical to experience it in real life. Of course I'll just decline again and restate my boundary. Hopefully he makes a note of it and saves everyone some time.

Linked

Post by Linked » Mon Oct 10, 2022 3:59 pm

sparky wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:36 pm
I did not at all expect to have to bump this thread so soon, but that's Mormonism for you. Unbelievably, I've received another email from the same BP member "assigning" me to give a talk in an upcoming sacrament meeting. I never heard a word back from him after declining the first one just a few weeks ago. This new email is essentially the same as the first one, just with a new date and topic. Doesn't even acknowledge my first response.

I've heard of this sort of thing happening, but it's comical to experience it in real life. Of course I'll just decline again and restate my boundary. Hopefully he makes a note of it and saves everyone some time.
Wow, that was fast! Sounds like he's going to test the old definition of insanity soon, trying something over and over again and expecting different results.

I got asked about speaking in church this week too. I told him thanks for the invite, I'm going to decline, sorry for the inconvenience. It's too stressful for me to do right now.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:29 am

sparky wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 12:36 pm

If they have that little respect for you, it's not even worth your time. Don't bother replying. I would take the opportunity that Sunday to go to the lake/mountains/out-of-town family. Let them figure out their program.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams