Apostle complaint

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Palerider

Apostle complaint

Post by Palerider » Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:40 pm

Hey kids,

I'm trying to remember which early apostle complained about the missionaries grabbing all the pretty convert women before they got to Salt Lake City, leaving him with only the homely ones to choose from.

Anybody out there who can help me find his quote?
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

Mormorrisey

Re: Apostle complaint

Post by Mormorrisey » Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:50 pm

Palerider wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:40 pm
Hey kids,

I'm trying to remember which early apostle complained about the missionaries grabbing all the pretty convert women before they got to Salt Lake City, leaving him with only the homely ones to choose from.

Anybody out there who can help me find his quote?
It was Cook's great grandpa, ol' Heber C Kimball, but I will need to fnd the quote.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

blazerb

Post by blazerb » Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:04 pm

Here's the quote (taken from FAIR):
Brethren, I want you to understand that it is not to be as it has been heretofore. The brother missionaries have been in the habit of picking out the prettiest women for themselves before they get here, and bringing on the ugly ones for us; hereafter you have to bring them all here before taking any of them, and let us all have a fair shake.
ETA: Reading more, the quote is taken from The Lion of the Lord by Stanley P. Hirshson. They don't give a reference beyond that. I'm not sure how reliable that is.

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:54 pm

blazerb wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:04 pm
Here's the quote (taken from FAIR):
Brethren, I want you to understand that it is not to be as it has been heretofore. The brother missionaries have been in the habit of picking out the prettiest women for themselves before they get here, and bringing on the ugly ones for us; hereafter you have to bring them all here before taking any of them, and let us all have a fair shake.
ETA: Reading more, the quote is taken from The Lion of the Lord by Stanley P. Hirshson. They don't give a reference beyond that. I'm not sure how reliable that is.
Thats it. And it apparently shows up in one of the newspapers of the day, but the source is likewise not entirely credible.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

jfro18

Post by jfro18 » Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:13 pm

Mormorrisey wrote:
Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:54 pm

Thats it. And it apparently shows up in one of the newspapers of the day, but the source is likewise not entirely credible.
I'm glad that we have a thread where this gets pointed out because I didn't know the source was questionable and I love that this group is thinking about getting things right on things like this.

The source apparently is a newspaper article where there's no source for the quote and the article is not positive towards Mormons... doesn't mean it's false but any stretch, but it does make you have to at least have some skepticism on it.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Palerider

Post by Palerider » Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:59 pm

That's the one!

Thank you all for your help. Much appreciated.
:)
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington