Another Temple Facepalm

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Just This Guy

Another Temple Facepalm

Post by Just This Guy » Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:57 pm

In conference, the announced a temple in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Turns out that they have yet to actually talk to the City of Grand Rapids yet for any sort of approvals.

https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... _informed/
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

moksha

Re: Another Temple Facepalm

Post by moksha » Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:17 am

I imagine the Church has already obtained the property on which they intend to build the new mini-Temple.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:00 am

Just This Guy wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:57 pm
Turns out that they have yet to actually talk to the City of Grand Rapids yet for any sort of approvals.
i No Importa !

Elohim has plenty of $$$$$$ (Widow's Mites) to bribe anyone in the City of Grand Rapids hierarchy who may stand in the way...

Edit/P.S. The same thing happened with the Orem UT temple; And; Well: Anyone who has been anywhere near Orem on I-15 knows how that turned out. (Don't look west!)
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:21 am

This doesn’t really mean anything.

For example, I can announce to anyone who will listen that I plan to move and build a house in Grand Rapids Michigan.

The city planning department won’t know or care until I show up and apply for a building permit.

Both sides are correct.

I’m just not a fan of the exmo community always grabbing at the “gotcha!” low hanging fruit. Let’s hold the church accountable to the big issues.

Temple announcements vs. temples built is just a stupid comparison and silly argument.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Its_Complicated

Post by Its_Complicated » Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:50 pm

I can't speak for building in Grand Rapids, but I know in the Detroit area, it is impossible to stand up another church without some kind of insider access. When I was attempting this, the township and city planners kept telling me that they not interested in more churches. Grand Rapids is a decent sized city, their land values are pretty high. Good luck to them. I look forward to attending the open house if/when they build it.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:12 pm

Its_Complicated wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:50 pm
I can't speak for building in Grand Rapids, but I know in the Detroit area, it is impossible to stand up another church without some kind of insider access. When I was attempting this, the township and city planners kept telling me that they not interested in more churches. Grand Rapids is a decent sized city, their land values are pretty high. Good luck to them. I look forward to attending the open house if/when they build it.
What type of church? Or better question is what type of building? Here in AZ churches pop up all the time in vacant spots in shopping centers or older vacant buildings.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:38 pm

Isn't that the process? The prophet (or whoever) gets the idea that they want to build a temple somewhere, they announce it during conference, and sometime further into the process they secure the actual location.

I'm not sure why the city of Grand Rapids would know anything just hours after a conference announcement. The church probably hasn't even started scouting for a location yet. I think they've always just assumed that they'd be able to build a temple in their announced locations so they announce and then start looking for a suitable location.

The church also likes to name temples after a nearby city that has more name recognition than the town it actually ends up being in. If the city of Grand Rapids doesn't want a temple, they'll just build one in Culterville and call it the Grand Rapids temple.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:39 am

wtfluff wrote:
Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:00 am
Edit/P.S. The same thing happened with the Orem UT temple; And; Well: Anyone who has been anywhere near Orem on I-15 knows how that turned out. (Don't look west!)
If the Church were to ask Orem to pay them for building a new Temple, the board would immediately approve it and the Orem City Treasurer would personally cut transfer the funds to the Church's Cayman Islands account.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:41 am

nibbler wrote:
Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:38 pm
Isn't that the process? The prophet (or whoever) gets the idea that they want to build a temple somewhere, they announce it during conference, and sometime further into the process they secure the actual location.
I'm trying to remember where I heard a report from someone on the temple building committee talking about how Russell Nelson keeps catching everyone off guard with announcements, because he's skipping a few steps in the usual protocol, like scouting a location, securing the permits before announcing the temple. Personally, I think Nelson has gone off the rails and is just building a legacy for himself that will put the next five guys in servitude to him trying to fulfill his prophecy. No one will ever be able to match his record for the most temples announced if they're overwhelmed with mopping up his mess.

What I would LOVE to see would be Nelson announcing a temple on the site of an already existing building or public landmark.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

2bizE

Post by 2bizE » Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:10 am

Is it just me, or does it seem like a number of these temples are being announced in areas where the church is shrinking. Is temple building being used to replace missionary work or retention of members?
~2bizE

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:39 pm

2bizE wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 10:10 am
Is temple building being used to replace missionary work or retention of members?
Temple "building" is being used to stroke Rusty's ego.

Temple "building" is being used as an Ad Campaign to let believing members know that the church is "growing".

Temple building is being used to launder $$$$$$$$$$$$ and line the pockets of friends and family of the Q15.

I put "building" in quotes in a couple sentences above because it won't be surprising at all if some of the temples in the piles that Rusty is announcing never get built. Some of them might just "disappear" from the list.

It's quite obvious that most of the existing temples are practically empty, there's absolutely no reason whatsoever to spend billion$ on new ones.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Just This Guy

Post by Just This Guy » Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:13 am

IN the latest Radio Free Mormon podcast, RFM mentions that according to his sources, announced temples in South America are being held over the heads of member as a way to extract more tithing from them.

Overall, my point for posting this was less as a "gotcha"to the church, and more as evidence of disorganization. One department doesn't know what the other is doing. It's more about how disorganized the business is.

Businesses normally won't announce expansion plans until they are fairly well down the process of executing their plan. When a business announces plans to open a store/factor/office in an area and then later pull out, there is almost always quite a bit of backlash. So businesses will hold off on announcements until they are far enough down the process that they area reasonably certain they will be able to complete the opening.

LDSinc. however is going about it the other way. The announcement come first. For the sounds of things, many people even in the church don't know about them until they are announced and then they are left to figure out how to make it happen.

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:41 am
Personally, I think Nelson has gone off the rails and is just building a legacy for himself that will put the next five guys in servitude to him trying to fulfill his prophecy. No one will ever be able to match his record for the most temples announced if they're overwhelmed with mopping up his mess.
For whatever reason, RMN has a major grudge against GBH. It's almost fascinating to study the psychology of him. Rusty has to prove how much better he is. Between this push to out do his GBH's temple building and also the whole use of the word Mormon, Rusty has a major ax to grind. I am curious just what caused such a bruised ego and resentment.
"The story so far: In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move." -- Douglas Adams

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Oct 14, 2022 6:01 pm

Just This Guy wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:13 am
For whatever reason, RMN has a major grudge against GBH. It's almost fascinating to study the psychology of him. Rusty has to prove how much better he is. Between this push to out do his GBH's temple building and also the whole use of the word Mormon, Rusty has a major ax to grind. I am curious just what caused such a bruised ego and resentment.
Me too. I will say this about Hinkley; he announced a LOT of temples, but then he built them. I posted a chart on another thread (can't remember where I found it - too lazy to search for it) that compared temple announcements and temple construction. The announcements shot up dramatically under Hinkley, and then they dropped as the construction shot up to match the announcements. Under Nelson the announcements just continue to skyrocket,but the construction isn't picking up significantly to catch up, and that's in an age of smaller temples built out of Lego-like prefab modules.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."