Plagiarism at GC?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
blazerb

Plagiarism at GC?

Post by blazerb » Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:14 pm

I have not seen this brought up here, yet. It appears that Susan's husband plagiarized his talk. Religion News Service reports: https://religionnews.com/2022/10/06/lds ... id-bednar/. On Reddit, someone posted screenshots showing that, after this story broke, the church updated the written version of the talk to include footnotes to the original: https://www.reddit.com/r/exmormon/comme ... sman_doug/. This level of coverup is kind of sad, in my opinion.

Over on Reddit, someone pointed out that, while this is probably not the most egregious case of plagiarism ever, it is the kind of thing that Susan Bednar's husband would have judged others for quite harshly. Also, it was a really boring talk for being a case of plagiarism.

I'd like to hear from those who have more experience in publishing than I do about how serious this is.

Angel

Re: Plagiarism at GC?

Post by Angel » Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:53 am

blazerb wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:14 pm
... while this is probably not the most egregious case of plagiarism ever...
The JST was plagiarized from Adam Clarke
The BOM badly plagiarized King James
Loren Eiseley - starfish story
Lao Tzu - dirty windows
CS Lewis
Tolkein

Part of leaving Mormonism is appreciating the original authors, untangling associations with how Mormons misquoted and warped their words.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Mormorrisey

Post by Mormorrisey » Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:13 am

Angel wrote:
Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:53 am
blazerb wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 3:14 pm
... while this is probably not the most egregious case of plagiarism ever...
The JST was plagiarized from Adam Clarke
The BOM badly plagiarized King James
Loren Eiseley - starfish story
Lao Tzu - dirty windows
CS Lewis
Tolkein

Part of leaving Mormonism is appreciating the original authors, untangling associations with how Mormons misquoted and warped their words.
This!

However, is it a serious thing? Well, no. It was a talk in conference. That's it. However, as an academic himself and the former president of a university that enforced standards of plagarism? Its a bad look.

Now, if he tried to publish this in an academic book? Yeah, its bad form. It likely would lead to the book being recalled and fixed, etc. That would be a problem, as your reputation is all you have to market as an academic. But not in this instance, it was just a talk, a sermon. But as I said, he should know better and the fact that its a story on RNS? Tells you all you need to know that other people think its serious enough.
"And I don't need you...or, your homespun philosophies."
"And when you try to break my spirit, it won't work, because there's nothing left to break."

stealthbishop

Post by stealthbishop » Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:35 am

He was the President of BYU-ID. One would think that him and his helpers would know better than to plagiarize a sermon. Certainly there are kids kicked out of BYU and other universities for such egregious behaviors. It's interesting how when one is an apostle, you get a pass, and others are just fault finding and instead we need to be charitable and forgiving. :roll:
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode