I have had an NOM vision

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Conman52

I have had an NOM vision

Post by Conman52 » Mon Oct 17, 2022 2:10 pm

Hi gang : Just had an NOM vision that even though my wife is TBM and not going to budge anytime soon. I am taking the approach that what does it matter if it's all fake!!!! I don't speak in church , have a calling or participate beyond saying an opening or closing prayer. I get to spend time with my wife of 44 years and I don't give a damn if it's fake as long as I know it is !!!!!! Hope that makes sense maybe it will help others. P.s. I haven't worn a tie in over a year !!! God Bless
By their fruits ye shall know them

Red Ryder

Re: I have had an NOM vision

Post by Red Ryder » Mon Oct 17, 2022 3:10 pm

I think that’s a healthy attitude.

If it’s not interfering in your marriage then go and support her in her worship services. I’ve often maintained that it’s better to be the spouse sitting alongside versus having them try to fit between the single mothers and widow row.

I’ve used the phrase “if I wasn’t Mormon, I’d be (insert religious affiliation here) which means I’d attend church as a family as part of our family religious tradition.

Nothing wrong with sitting next to your spouse, holding their hand with one of your and reading Reddit on your phone with the other during sacrament meeting.

All religions are man made. So what does it matter??
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

alas

Post by alas » Mon Oct 17, 2022 10:39 pm

Conman, welcome to NOM, as I see it is post #1 for you.

Hey, once I registered as alas52, because I didn’t know if I had registered 5 years previously when I first found NOM and registered as alas then, and that previous person was me, or if it was someone else. Turned out, that I had registered and it was me. But someone asked if 52 happened to be the year I was born. I pleaded guilty. So, now I get to ask you the same question. Does the 52 represent the year you were born?

It was a good year. Some French guy whose name I can never spell invented a gadget called a regulator. Later he became famous for his TV show using his underwater pressure regulator, then his sons followed in his foot steps. Yeah, that French guy, Jacques Cousteau. One of my heroes. So, it was a good year. I grew up watching him on TV, so I still love French accents, but not as much as I love scuba diving.

Conman52

Post by Conman52 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:26 am

Hi Alas: Enjoy your posts I have been a lurker for a long time. No I'm not 52 I am 62 !! . God Bless

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:10 am

Conman52 wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 6:26 am
Hi Alas: Enjoy your posts I have been a lurker for a long time. No I'm not 52 I am 62 !! . God Bless
Welcome Conman52!

Let’s test your lurker-ness?

1. What’s the biggest gripe on NOM?
2. Who is considered the NOM ward Bishop?
3. What color is the penguin’s suit?
4. What is Fluffy’s middle initial?
5. What was the GC NOMference score for the Sunday afternoon October 2019 session?
6. Favorite drink in the “What are you drinking?” thread?
7. Why is Elder Oaks hated so much?
8. Who said “Eat your vitamins”?
9. RR’s most annoyed by ___________?

Conman52

Post by Conman52 » Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:47 pm

Hi Noms : I'm afraid I failed the test miserably !! I can only answer 7 Oaks is a homophob and 8 is Rusty. I guess I should have studied !!! Glad to get to know everyone .

moksha

Post by moksha » Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:37 pm

Conman52 wrote:
You get to be younger, since being born in 1952 would make you 70, and being born in 1852 would make you 170.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

alas

Post by alas » Wed Oct 19, 2022 9:39 am

moksha wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:37 pm
Conman52 wrote:
You get to be younger, since being born in 1952 would make you 70, and being born in 1852 would make you 170.
Moksha, shhhhhhhh, don’t tell people how old I am.

stealthbishop

Post by stealthbishop » Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:21 am

Welcome to NOM and thanks for posting Conman52.

I would like to bear my testimony that the vision you had is true. At least for me. When I realized that I wanted to preserve my marriage after my faith crisis and educating my wife on all the problems in the church was backfiring, I pivoted to showing her support, respect, and celebrating her own spiritual process and journey. I realized I was in this for the long haul and tried to find a niche in how I could meet my own spiritual needs and how I can take care of myself while having an orthodox wife. I approached it as I approach the support and celebration I have towards my SIL and her children and their non-Christian rituals and faith. This approach was workable more or less for my wife and I.

I got lucky. Sort of. Fast forward 12 years later, she was able to see how the church had damaged some of our children and in a split second she shifted and she said it was like scales fell from her eyes and she pulled back. It has been a choppy journey for her and just like having mental health problems in the church is not uncommon it is also not uncommon for people to have MH problems when they leave. But she's getting through it. So while I'm lucky that we are not so far apart on the church anymore, it has been hard to watch her go through the wear and tear of a faith crisis and the effect it had on her mental health. It's been hard for both of us to see the damage that has been done to some of our children. That's our story in a nutshell at this point.

Glad you're here Conman 52.
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Oct 19, 2022 12:51 pm

Hey Conman, do you know Mackman?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Conman52

Post by Conman52 » Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:03 pm

No, sorry.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Thu Oct 20, 2022 12:55 pm

Conman52 wrote:
Wed Oct 19, 2022 1:03 pm
No, sorry.
Are you sure??

Mackman’s use of the !! and !!! is sort of a signature!!!

Wink wink !!!

Conman52

Post by Conman52 » Thu Oct 20, 2022 3:12 pm

Nope !!!!!!!!