A Modest Proposal-- Really!

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
deacon blues

A Modest Proposal-- Really!

Post by deacon blues » Sat Oct 29, 2022 10:26 am

Utah has "released time" Seminary for religious and/or moral instruction. The LDS Church finances it, develops the curriculum- some might argue indoctrination- but that's not the point I'm getting at- REALLY. :D
The point I'm getting at is young people/students can, or should benefit from moral instruction. Wouldn't it be nice if there was a non-denominational class of moral instruction offered in Utah, and other states if possible? (I'll admit some might answer- NO. ;) ) The challenge would seem to be who, if anybody, would be willing to actually do it. I could donate a small sum, but there are people/organizations who could totally organize and finance it. There might be pushback, but the justification for such a class is already acknowledged by the existence of LDS Seminary. 8-)

I've heard vague proposals for this kind of thing before. Some Churches could probably pull it off, but then it wouldn't be non-denominational. :(
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

MoPag

Re: A Modest Proposal-- Really!

Post by MoPag » Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:28 am

It would be really great if they did it like a service/community outreach sort of class. Like the kids do volunteer works at different places. Maybe help with laundry at a homeless shelter, visit nursing homes, or take shelter dogs for a walk. It would be good for the kids, the community and kind of a f-ck you to the church. Win, win, win!
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound