Progressive mormonism

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Conman52

Progressive mormonism

Post by Conman52 » Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:46 am

I have decided that because the church is my social net and we have good people in our branch that I would hang around and try and help change the church from within . I guess I am a progressive mormon ! Tithing should go to help support the day to day function of the church and help those in need. If we are going to have temples only one question for a recommend ( Do you believe in Jesus Christ) I don't care if you are gay, lgbtq or whatever else. I don't care if you have tattoos, I don't care if you wear a tie or not to church, I don't care if you are white black or anything in between, conservative, liberal, from another faith or faithless all should be welcomed ! Oh and tithing is what you feel you should give ! Christ taught to love all no matter what ! This is where I am I hope all will follow me !!!

stealthbishop

Re: Progressive mormonism

Post by stealthbishop » Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:43 am

I think there are niches within the LDS church where you can be a progressive Mormon. I did it for about 10-11 years or so. I think you can make fleeting changes to the culture of the church on the local/micro level depending on your leadership and where you live. However, I think some places and leaders will make your life a living hell if you try to promote a progressive Mormon spin. It always depends. I think the Faith Matters conferences led by the Givens and Patrick Mason and others help to create space for Progressive LDS people. It is a legitimate pathway for some and not for others. You can find hope, meaning, and purpose there. Some can't at all.

For me when I look back on when I was a progressive active LDS I was "whistling past the graveyard" thinking that my children and family would be okay and I would be able to insulate them from the harms and excesses of the macro church and the more conservative leaders in the Q15 and/or on the local level. I was wrong. I failed to protect myself and our family enough and I and my children and my marriage paid the price. The macro culture and "doctrines" such as the so called "law of chastity" which I now call the purity culture were extremely damaging to all of us unfortunately. I underestimated it.

My hope is you will succeed where I failed. I wish you the best and definitely offer you support in your journey of what is best for you and your family.
"Take second best
Put me to the test
Things on your chest
You need to confess"

-Depeche Mode

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Fri Nov 25, 2022 3:31 pm

It used to bother me a little when people would say that being an active NOM/progressive type was only a temporary stop on the way out. That might have even motivated me to stay active longer. And while I find it hard to imagine a point at which I don't identify as a "Mormon" in some way, I also find it hard to imagine participating actively again. (I'm one of those who just stayed inactive after the pandemic measures were lifted.)

Then again, I never really thought of myself as "progressive," as I never attempted to change anything, unless you count occasionally bringing up obscure church history when I taught lessons. But I can relate to what you say about a social net. I still keep up with LDS friends and I have no doubt my ward would come to my aid if I needed something (and I hope to continue participating in service projects if nothing else).

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Fri Nov 25, 2022 9:12 pm

If only there was a way to maintain the fellowship of the ward/branch and sever it from the religion.

I have wondered if I could return and be a progressive Mormon, but once you realize it's all made up, just like every other religion, you really start to notice the degree to which you are constantly confronted with expectations and demands to believe and support things you simply can't. In some ways it can be more overwhelming than being a believing Mormon, which is pretty overwhelming.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."