Solution to Brethren/LGBTQ War

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
moksha

Solution to Brethren/LGBTQ War

Post by moksha » Fri Dec 09, 2022 7:13 am

I think I may have a solution for the Brethren ending their longstanding war against the LGBTQ community and still save face.

The Brethren could announce they are ceasing their hostilities in the Temporal Realm, but are using their full spell-casting abilities in the hereafter to prohibit same-sex marriage and handholding. They could even announce the creation of an LGBTQ-repellant forcefield around the Celestial Kingdom, and I doubt anyone outside of Mormonism would bat an eyebrow.

Does this sound workable?
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

LSOF

Re: Solution to Brethren/LGBTQ War

Post by LSOF » Fri Dec 09, 2022 1:46 pm

That won't be necessary if exterminationism becomes sufficiently popular. Terrorists are already attacking the power grid on our account. As touching "The Brethren", they will continue the fight against us until they win or they lose money over it.
"I appreciate your flesh needs to martyr me." Parture

"There is no contradiction between faith and science --- true science." Dr Zaius

Pastor, Lunar Society of Friends; CEO, Faithful Origins and Ontology League

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:26 pm

Might be easier to just take the Visitor’s Welcome sign down.
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:55 am

They have done things like this before. As actual missionary work becomes less effective they continue to put more and more emphasis on how it is being done on both sides of the veil. Likewise, the "Literal Gathering of Zion" is now pretty much virtual.

Another solution would be to receive a revelation that reveals an new kingdom, maybe the Fabulestial kingdom, where LGBTQ people can spend eternity without mucking up the hetero-exclusive glory of the three straight kingdoms. The people in the hetero kingdoms could just continue to pretend that the others don't exist (although they might reluctantly admit to themselves that they are curious).
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:19 am

I assume the brethren's exit from the LGBTQIA+ war will be similar to their exit strategy for every issue over which they've painted themselves into a corner.
  1. Cut down on the number of times you preach on the the subject.
  2. Eventually stop preaching on the subject for several years.
  3. Turn the culture war into a generation war. Pit the older generation that remembers all the harmful teachings against a younger generation that never heard them, then gaslight the hell out of the older generation.
It will be a while before they can implement step one with Oaks next up at bat.
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

alas

Post by alas » Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:06 am

nibbler wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:19 am
I assume the brethren's exit from the LGBTQIA+ war will be similar to their exit strategy for every issue over which they've painted themselves into a corner.
  3. Turn the culture war into a generation war. Pit the older generation that remembers all the harmful teachings against a younger generation that never heard them, then gaslight the hell out of the older generation.
Oh, yikes, this is so true. I have seen it with younger women, who grew up in a church where they were encouraged to get an education and be able to support themselves before marriage, compared with my generation who were actually discouraged from getting any education or job training because that might make us less satisfied to be a nothing but housewife, but pressured to marry young. The mean age of marriage in my generation for Mormon women was 19, the average 20, and you were a hopeless old maid by 21. Compare that to my children’s generation where the mean had gone up to 21. In 25 years, the most common age for women to marry was 2 years older. I said something once in hearing range of my DIL about the church pressuring women to marry young, and she joined the conversation to argue with me that the church never ever ever pressured women to marry young. She as a returned missionary who completed college before marriage felt no pressure to marry at 19 but was taught to have “back up career” in case something happens to your husband. But with my generation, I really felt the pressure to marry as *soon* as possible and that nothing was more important than snagging a man. Career was actively discouraged as horrible neglect of our duty as wives and mothers. No thought was given to “back up plans” if your husband divorces you or dies. Career was a sin of the highest magnitude. Wanting an education was a waste, because as a mother, too much education might make you unwilling to give up a career. It was slipper slope into the sin of working outside the home. And THAT was the worst sin. We might as well become hookers as work outside the home. 20 years later, my DIL was willing to argue with me about the “doctrine” of nothing but marriage and family for women. The church really did pit the younger generation against the older generation and “gas light the hell out of the older generation.” And my generation has felt very betrayed by it.

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:39 am

nibbler wrote:
Please, Oh, Please let Rusty out-live (H)Oaks.

I feel bit bad for typing that... But what the heck: both of them have lived long "fulfilling" lives, so what should a couple years either way matter?
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Linked

Post by Linked » Wed Dec 14, 2022 12:16 pm

nibbler wrote:
alas wrote:
Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:06 am
Oh, yikes, this is so true. I have seen it with younger women, who grew up in a church where they were encouraged to get an education and be able to support themselves before marriage, compared with my generation who were actually discouraged from getting any education or job training because that might make us less satisfied to be a nothing but housewife, but pressured to marry young. The mean age of marriage in my generation for Mormon women was 19, the average 20, and you were a hopeless old maid by 21. Compare that to my children’s generation where the mean had gone up to 21. In 25 years, the most common age for women to marry was 2 years older. I said something once in hearing range of my DIL about the church pressuring women to marry young, and she joined the conversation to argue with me that the church never ever ever pressured women to marry young. She as a returned missionary who completed college before marriage felt no pressure to marry at 19 but was taught to have “back up career” in case something happens to your husband. But with my generation, I really felt the pressure to marry as *soon* as possible and that nothing was more important than snagging a man. Career was actively discouraged as horrible neglect of our duty as wives and mothers. No thought was given to “back up plans” if your husband divorces you or dies. Career was a sin of the highest magnitude. Wanting an education was a waste, because as a mother, too much education might make you unwilling to give up a career. It was slipper slope into the sin of working outside the home. And THAT was the worst sin. We might as well become hookers as work outside the home. 20 years later, my DIL was willing to argue with me about the “doctrine” of nothing but marriage and family for women. The church really did pit the younger generation against the older generation and “gas light the hell out of the older generation.” And my generation has felt very betrayed by it.
This is really interesting. I always felt like the older generation was judging me for non-sins. For example, I would drink caffeine while the rest of my family held to caffeine being against the word of wisdom and a sin. So because I felt judged for something I thought was not bad I would push on them. I always felt like the church was not clear or loud enough in their teachings which allowed these disagreements to fester. That ambiguity gives space for everyone to feel superior to everyone else for not really following the gospel, whether that is avoiding caffeine or seeing caffeine as something God doesn't care about.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut