Institutional narcissism and child abuse

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Palerider

Institutional narcissism and child abuse

Post by Palerider » Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:38 pm

See any similarities?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ca ... ca79016b47

“Even though sexual relations between priests and minors have taken place inside the Catholic Church for centuries, the Catholic hierarchy was not always prone to fight against pedophilia in an official way,” said study author Marta Marchlewska, an associate professor and the head of the Political Cognition Lab at the Polish Academy of Sciences.

“In contrast, they put a lot of effort into keeping the existence of such activities hidden from public view to cover up the scandal and protect the positive image of their in-group. Some of the religious officials even suggested that the children are partly to blame for being sexually abused by priests. For example, Polish Archbishop Józef Michalik suggested that a pedophile act manifested itself ‘when a child is looking for love (…) it clings, it searches. It gets lost itself and then draws another person into this’..... "
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

moksha

Re: Institutional narcissism and child abuse

Post by moksha » Sat Dec 10, 2022 4:38 pm

One difference with Mormonism is that Catholicism also holds the value of confessing faults and seeking to make amends. President Oaks has strictly forbidden that as a value since it embraces humility and repentance.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

alas

Post by alas » Sat Dec 10, 2022 6:01 pm

Palerider wrote:
Sat Dec 10, 2022 3:38 pm
See any similarities?

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ca ... ca79016b47

“Even though sexual relations between priests and minors have taken place inside the Catholic Church for centuries, the Catholic hierarchy was not always prone to fight against pedophilia in an official way,” said study author Marta Marchlewska, an associate professor and the head of the Political Cognition Lab at the Polish Academy of Sciences.

“In contrast, they put a lot of effort into keeping the existence of such activities hidden from public view to cover up the scandal and protect the positive image of their in-group. Some of the religious officials even suggested that the children are partly to blame for being sexually abused by priests. For example, Polish Archbishop Józef Michalik suggested that a pedophile act manifested itself ‘when a child is looking for love (…) it clings, it searches. It gets lost itself and then draws another person into this’..... "
Blaming the victim is common among sexual predators. In the literature it is a common theme and when I was in the therapy group for incest offenders, the men frequently made comments about how it was the child who instigated or wanted it. The two year old child “wiggled seductively” on his lap. She paraded in front of him in her underwear. She snuggled up next to him watching TV. Normal affection from a child was turned into seduction. A need for approval or attention is used first to recognize a vulnerable child, then used to rope the child in, and is finally used to excuse the pedophile of responsibility for his behavior as “the child wanted it.”

Now, think about how a Mormon bishop hears that. The bishop never hears from the child about what happened, only the perps excuses.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:41 pm

This is how hypocrisy in religion seems to best manifest itself; when an organization spends far more time and effort covering up its sins than confronting them, confessing them, and trying to make amends. The Catholic church could learn some lessons about tap dancing, victim blaming, and slick legal maneuvering from the Mormon church.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:43 pm

This quote jumped out at me:
“There is no place for internal criticism in Catholic Church in times of danger” :shock:
All one has to do is add the words: "even if it is true." :cry:
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:52 pm

this is what happens when institutions become god. Sad.
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:43 am

deacon blues wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 7:43 pm
All one has to do is add the words: "even if it is true." :cry:
That reference is both tragic and hilarious, Deacon.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."