Declining church-goers and creative changes

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
2bizE

Declining church-goers and creative changes

Post by 2bizE » Sun Dec 11, 2022 8:36 pm

Here is a good read about how some churches are responding to the declining number of church-goers.
Do you envision any similar/ creative ideas like these from the LDS church?

https://www.npr.org/2022/12/10/11410103 ... worshipper
~2bizE

blazerb

Re: Declining church-goers and creative changes

Post by blazerb » Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:30 am

When I see how long it took the church to decide to do something about meetings during COVID, I find it hard to believe that they would be looking at new ways to connect with people. I think they will continue to do the same basic thing with small tweaks. They may be willing to make changes to the schedules of meetings, such as when the block schedule was introduced back in the 80's or the more recent 2 hour block, but they have not changed the basic structure of what a meeting is in the way that the people in the article have. A gardening church sounds fun. I'd be less interested in yoga under stained glass, to be honest.

The lack of COVID meetings is what allowed me to stop attending church. I might still be going if the leaders had acted quickly to meet spiritual needs, but they did not act quickly. I don't know what took so long. It seemed like they had to get 15 guys who are used to getting their way to all agree on a way forward. That's going to take a while. Meantime, I found so much freedom in connecting with the real world around me. I don't think connecting with the real world helps church activity.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Mon Dec 12, 2022 10:25 am

The church really isn't set up for creativity. The church's model is to tell people what they should be wanting and then rely on people's testimony of the truthfulness of the church to feel a sense of duty to participate in the church's offerings.

"This kinda sucks, but it must be what God wants me to do, so I've got to try harder to like it."

It would be very hard to get past all of the obstacles set up that prevent creativity in the church. The first obstacle is you have to get past is looking for permission to do every little thing. You also have to get past its companion, asking for forgiveness when authority figures show up with the wet blankets.

Could you imagine a ward that decided they weren't going to do SS or PH/RS the 2nd hour, that the 2nd hour would be for potluck lunches at the neighborhood park? Brother Rulethumper would try to shut it down, if he couldn't the stake would try to shut it down, if they couldn't the AA would try to shut it down. Can you imagine what the members in that ward would do when an AA told them to shut it down? Would they dutifully shut it down and go back to SS/PH/RS or ignore the AA and continue to have an actual community? If they refused to comply, how much longer would you expect them to hold their callings?

Ignoring what "leaders" think is a tough obstacle to get around.

Fortunately people can go to the park for lunch during the 2nd hour but they have to do it outside the confines of measured activity in the church. That's why people leave. The church is so monolithic, focused on the rules, and so about measuring that you have to go outside the church to do anything you'd actually enjoy doing.

But why do that when one of the only four lessons taught at church is being taught and you've got a duty to be there?
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Linked

Post by Linked » Mon Dec 12, 2022 3:29 pm

Like others have said the church organization is not currently setup to make such massive pivots. In fact they have been steadily going the opposite direction for decades. Taking away interesting activities and forcing everything to be tied to something doctrinal. Standardizing everything.

The gardening church sounds nice. A place to have deep thoughtful discussions sounds nice. Collecting produce to give to those in need sounds nice. Although if any of those were tied to the church's ulterior motives they wouldn't be worth it for me.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Mon Dec 12, 2022 8:13 pm

I used to take my primary class outside sometimes. They loved it. You can find lots of lessons outside. One time we learned how to measure the flag pole.

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:46 am

blazerb wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:30 am
The lack of COVID meetings is what allowed me to stop attending church. I might still be going if the leaders had acted quickly to meet spiritual needs, but they did not act quickly. I don't know what took so long. It seemed like they had to get 15 guys who are used to getting their way to all agree on a way forward. That's going to take a while. Meantime, I found so much freedom in connecting with the real world around me. I don't think connecting with the real world helps church activity.

Exactly the same story for my wife. Never thought I'd say,"I'm grateful for Covid...." :shock: :lol:

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Dec 13, 2022 1:35 pm

Hermey wrote:
Tue Dec 13, 2022 9:46 am
blazerb wrote:
Mon Dec 12, 2022 9:30 am

Exactly the same story for my wife. Never thought I'd say,"I'm grateful for Covid...." :shock: :lol:
MIne too! As of now, she says she has no intention of going back, but she does listen in on Zoom while doing other stuff on Sunday mornings. When our ward ended the Zoom option for everyone except "shut-ins," Mrs. Hagoth said, "well, it was nice knowing you," and within an hour they sent her a link so she could keep watching on Zoom. Hilarious.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."