Relaxed mission attire

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
moksha

Re: Relaxed mission attire

Post by moksha » Sun Dec 18, 2022 2:28 pm

No longer calling themselves Mormons and dressing in non-Mormon clothing. Pretty soon they will be forming themselves into sleeper cells and losing that glowing eyes thing. They might even hide the alien pods at the side of their beds.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Linked

Re: Relaxed mission attire

Post by Linked » Mon Dec 19, 2022 1:04 pm

alas wrote:
Sat Dec 17, 2022 8:22 pm
But the Mormons, they are the ones who read it and ring anyway, because they aren’t just any religion, they are special. Normal people have and respect boundaries, but the way the church operates, it teaches disrespect for boundaries. You get called to an appointment with no idea what it is about. You get voluntold about building cleanup. Teens get pulled into an unexpected worthiness interview. Rather than thanking you for donations, tithing settlement is to see if you have paid enough. Boundaries, what boundaries.

This is a major issue I have with the Mormon church. As an abuse survivor, I *need* to have my boundaries respected, but in the Mormon church, there is an enmeshment where boundaries are for the convenience of the leaders and the leaders have no respect for member needs or limits. They are just like abusive parents where it is all about what the parent wants, whether it destroys the child or not. Mormons like to trample boundaries. Request not to be visited, they visit you anyway, and then you get an extra visit to double check that you still don’t want to be contacted. I know because I have been assigned to visit the neighbors who requested to never be contacted.
This is a great writeup.

For them the ends justify the means. I mean, eternal salvation is worth a little discomfort and making someone angry right? And for the members who are rightfully embarrassed and anxious to trample boundaries and completely disrespect other's beliefs they are shamed for not loving God enough and not being bold like Alma to Korihor.

It's a sign of how strongly they believe it. Both to them and their willingness to endure such discomfort for God, and to others who think they are completely indoctrinated. For them it can be a badge of courage.
"I would write about life. Every person would be exactly as important as any other. All facts would also be given equal weightiness. Nothing would be left out. Let others bring order to chaos. I would bring chaos to order" - Kurt Vonnegut