Tithing on Retirement?

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Conman52

Tithing on Retirement?

Post by Conman52 » Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:35 am

I don't pay tithing anymore but my wife is struggling as to pay tithing on her social security ? She has a part time job as I do I told her to only pay tithing on the part time job net pay what else could I tell her to help with that ? Besides it's all B.S.
By their fruits ye shall know them

alas

Re: Tithing on Retirement?

Post by alas » Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:39 am

If she paid tithing on gross all along, then the money in SS has already been tithed. SS is not the government giving away free money, but the government paying you back money it held back from your paycheck. You earned that money while working, so if you paid on gross rather than net, the money is already tithed. Like if has been sitting in the bank all along, except it is the government’s bank.

Please come explain that to my husband.

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Dec 23, 2022 6:17 pm

It might be worth it to hire a good tithing attorney. It is hard for a regular individual to understand all the corporate tithing regulations.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:05 am

Accepting tithing from SS and pensions is elder abuse.

My parents taught me to always pay gross while you're working so you don't have to pay in your retirement.

After my mom died, my dad lived off a small pension. We did everything we could to help him make ends meet - he did not want charity from us. After stomach cancer he couldn't eat most solid foods and had to be fed through a stomach tube, which was not fully covered by the insurance he got as a former government employee (the feeding machine rental + daily tube change + food added up to $90K/year before insurance!). I was working crazy hours so my wife was managing his finances. She was not giving anything to the church, considering that it would be a food or tithing situation, and following my parent's belief about retirement tithe paying.

A livid bishop called first my father, then my wife into his office and demanded that he pay tithing. What, he won't be able to eat? We'll get him groceries from the bishop's storehouse. Can't eat solid food? Doesn't matter, tithing is more important than eating. The bishop never backed down. If he is my dad's Judge in Israel, I'm sure my father is condemned to hell.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

hmb

Post by hmb » Tue Dec 27, 2022 7:21 am

Even my extremely, TBM father does not pay tithing on SS. He always tithed on his gross income. He does pay on anything earned from interest (pennies) and other investments. He does still pay a generous fast offering and other donations, even though he's in his 90's.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Tue Dec 27, 2022 9:25 am

Both of my parents are in their 70’s and long since retired.

They still pay tithing on their retirement and social security. When asked why they just smile and say they need the blessings

🤷
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg