Finding Meaning in the Nativity.

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
deacon blues

Finding Meaning in the Nativity.

Post by deacon blues » Fri Dec 23, 2022 10:38 am

Things are slowing down a little as we approach the Christmas Weekend, lending time for reflection. I think about the birth of Jesus and what it means to me and it still brings tears to my eyes.
First, my studies have given me reason to think Matthew and Luke weren't exactly writing history, but still it's true there was likely a child, indeed many children born in humble situations throughout history. The Nativity accounts are helpful reminders of how wonderful and fortunate a time we live in. Whether many or few of us see angels, childbirth is an inspiring event, reminding us of how humble we all, from beggars to big shots, from peons to presidents, are when we are born. Epiphanies are often inspired by the view of a mother going to the borderlands of death, thankfully less often now, to bring forth new life.
Each new child can be a reminder of how much men and women can accomplish as they grow.
The thought of Jesus, as a baby, brings me feelings of love and devotion, even as now I look at accounts of the adult Jesus and think, "did he really do this?" and was he really like that?"
Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays everyone; and as Tiny Tim/Charles Dickens said: "God bless us, every one."🎄 :D
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Angel

Re: Finding Meaning in the Nativity.

Post by Angel » Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:32 am

True or not, any story that humanity preserves through the centuries, have to respect there is some inspiring thing there. We did read the Christmas story in the morning- New American translation, a tradition like we read twas the night before Christmas on the eve.

Jesus, Buddha, Lao Tzu, I combine them all together now. They asked me to say prayer Christmas morning, I don't think anyone noticed I addressed "Loving God" (generic) rather than HF, but I did end in the name of Jesus Christ with no qualms in doing so.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

deacon blues

Post by deacon blues » Mon Dec 26, 2022 11:22 am

I address my prayers to "Loving God" also in similar situations. :D
God is Love. God is Truth. The greatest problem with organized religion is that the organization becomes god, rather than a means of serving God.

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:49 am

I prefer to address Him like Ricky Bobby does in Talladega Nights:
https://youtu.be/-5u_8y93GKY

But seriously. I love the KJV Luke nativity story. It has been deeply embedded in my psyche since toddlerhood and it can still give me chills and make me tear up, even though I now recognize it as fiction. It's gotta be the KJV version; nothing else has the same magic. And yes, the internal voice I hear reading it is Linus.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."