Drunk SLC Police Assault

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
moksha

Drunk SLC Police Assault

Post by moksha » Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:16 am

Drunk and High Off-Duty SLC Police Officer Commits Aggravated Assault with a Deadly Weapon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri9r7t05WBk

Those dash cams can come in handy.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Angel

Re: Drunk SLC Police Assault

Post by Angel » Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:54 pm

It seems like one county to another is similar to one high school to another, some have a good culture, and others a bad one. Police should be required to have at least a bachelor's degree with training similar to a law degree and phycology as well as some EMT thrown in there as well. In Utah, looks like all you need is a high school diploma or GED. In an authoritarian hierarchy, those in a position of power can "do no wrong". Let's hope the case is moved to a different location where it can be reviewed by a fair jury and judge.

The dashcam has 2018 on it? Yes, dashcam would be good to have, I need to get those on the kids cars.
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw
When it is dark enough, you can see the stars. ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Angel

Post by Angel » Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:07 pm

In other news:

https://abcnews.go.com/US/family-8-incl ... d=96214606

Family of 8, including 5 children, found dead in Utah home with gunshot wounds

We all know this family; many of us have served with them in church....

Doug Andersen, director of media relations for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, declined to say whether the family had been members or if the church was aware of any allegations of domestic violence....
“You have learned something...That always feels at first as if you have lost something.” George Bernard Shaw

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:23 pm

Angel wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:07 pm
..Doug Andersen, director of media relations for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, declined to say whether the family had been members or if the church was aware of any allegations of domestic violence....
While "officially" TCOJCOLDS may not be reporting that the deceased people are members, their "Media" wing has mentioned in multiple articles that the family were members, and the wife recently filed for divorce.

The latest:

https://www.ksl.com/article/50551641/ut ... ng-himself

Edit: Beyond tragic. :(

Sadly, someone on Reddit predicted the original cause of this tragedy a while before the "update" from authorities mid-day.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

Angel

Post by Angel » Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:37 am

wtfluff wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 1:23 pm
Angel wrote:
Thu Jan 05, 2023 12:07 pm
..Doug Andersen, director of media relations for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, declined to say whether the family had been members or if the church was aware of any allegations of domestic violence....
While "officially" TCOJCOLDS may not be reporting that the deceased people are members, their "Media" wing has mentioned in multiple articles that the family were members, and the wife recently filed for divorce.

The latest:

https://www.ksl.com/article/50551641/ut ... ng-himself

Edit: Beyond tragic. :(

Sadly, someone on Reddit predicted the original cause of this tragedy a while before the "update" from authorities mid-day.
From comments:
My mind is blown. Grew up with him in Cedar City & he was my friend that was in my ward & graduating class. Knew him well through countless scout camps, church b-ball games, etc...
I haven't seen or spoken with him since high school, but knew him as one of the most kind, empathetic & compassionate people I'd known. So this feels to me like someone telling me that Big Bird just gunned down everyone on Sesame Street.
So I think I can speak for much of the community in saying that it's not just the horror of the crime, but the shock & disbelief at who the perpetrator was that makes this so incomprehensible & upsetting.

Michael was as polite, honest, reasonable, and attentive as any insurance agent. This was the very worst option he could have chosen for dealing with his challenges at home. I can't process it given the professional dealings I've had with him. Get help people!!! There are better days ahead, but we sometimes need help to get though the rough spots.

...This was likely more about domestic violence than mental health. KSL doesn't report it here but the police were involved in several prior investigations with this family. Sadly our system protects the abusers.

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Jan 06, 2023 9:14 am

Doug Andersen, director of media relations for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, declined to say whether the family had been members or if the church was aware of any allegations of domestic violence.

ABC News has reached out to the Enoch City Mayor and police department for more information.
Good luck in getting any information out of the Mayor or police department for that Utah town if the Church has clamped down on media access.

Wonder if the Church's reluctance to even mention whether these people were LDS, stems from a confessional from the father that he was planning to kill everyone.
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha