Murdered Utah family

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Palerider

Murdered Utah family

Post by Palerider » Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:01 am

I'd be very interested to know if anyone here has or will have insights as to the killing of this LDS family by their father. What I have read so far indicates that the wife/mother had just recently filed for divorce. I know you Utah people are more tuned into the LDS grapevine. Any chance this whole disaster was precipitated by a faith crisis?

So sad regardless.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/fa ... -rcna64457
"There is but one straight course, and that is to seek truth and pursue it steadily."

"Truth will ultimately prevail where there is pains to bring it to light."

George Washington

wtfluff

Re: Murdered Utah family

Post by wtfluff » Fri Jan 06, 2023 1:12 pm

Palerider wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:01 am
Any chance this whole disaster was precipitated by a faith crisis?
I have read in multiple places / articles that there were previous issues with domestic violence with this family/home that the authorities are not really "talking about." In other words: police had been called to the home "before" the ultimate ending of this story. Nothing concrete about when / how often, but that is floating around "out there" amongst the ones and zeros.

A faith crisis is not out of the question, but all of the "evidence" so far seems anecdotal. We'll likely never know the real motives unless he left a note; which I haven't heard/read anywhere.

It was sadly obvious from all of the initial news that it was a Murder/Suicide, as the authorities instantly broadcast that there was no danger to the public/no shooter at large.

I'd probably better stop typing before I go on an angry rant about the thoughts bouncing around my fluffy brain regarding this heinous situation. :cry:
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...

moksha

Post by moksha » Fri Jan 06, 2023 2:06 pm

You can get more details from the story in Angel's post here:

https://newordermormon.net/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6435
Good faith does not require evidence, but it also does not turn a blind eye to that evidence. Otherwise, it becomes misplaced faith.
-- Moksha

Random

Post by Random » Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:45 pm

Leaving and/or divorcing an abusive spouse is the most dangerous thing to do. I'm all for escaping, but one needs to be very careful and take as many precautions as possible.

And just because someone used to be nice doesn't mean they are now - or that they are putting on a show of niceness because, they're nice until they're angry - or they have a sense of "I own you," in regards to the spouse.

edit to fix typo
Last edited by Random on Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

wtfluff

Post by wtfluff » Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:41 pm

I chatted with a friend today who's brother lived a couple houses down from the Haight family in Enoch.

The brother's family knew the Haight family well, and according to the brother, the outcome of this situation was not a complete surprise. Let's just say that those who truly knew the Haight family well, knew that there was patriarchal abuse going on in the home.

There was no mention of any sort of faith crisis in the conversation I had.

Third-or-fourth-hand information for what it's worth, but it also fits with some statements I've read/watched from some of the Haight family neighbors that seemed just a little bit off. My Confirmation Bias has been confirmed.
Faith does not give you the answers, it just stops you asking the questions. -Frater Ravus

IDKSAF -RubinHighlander

You can surrender without a prayer...