Don't care anymore

This is for encouragement, ideas, and support for people going through a faith transition no matter where you hope to end up. This is also the place to laugh, cry, and love together.
Random

Don't care anymore

Post by Random » Fri Jan 06, 2023 8:51 pm

I haven't been here for quite a while, but decided to come on today and look around. As I was reading through different posts, I realized that I just don't care. I don't care anything about the LDS Church, other than the occasional gossipy things I might hear, but even that is getting more and more boring.

May those still in a relationship with the LDS Church someday find themselves in that space (I'm sure it's difficult if one has a spouse, parent, or others who are firm believers who make it difficult to leave). It's a blessed relief.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

Believe in the God who created us. And the God you created should be abolished.
PK

Cnsl1

Re: Don't care anymore

Post by Cnsl1 » Sat Jan 07, 2023 1:33 am

Thanks for sharing that. I've noticed my attention, interest, and desire to study and understand information related to the church has definitely waned. I still care, but not as much. I think maybe some day I'll not care at all. I'm sure I'll still care for the people, but maybe not the religion... or at least not enough to for it to bother me. I wonder how long that'll take, and if this is a normal trajectory.

Red Ryder

Post by Red Ryder » Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:15 am

Random!

So happy to see you!

You’ve been missed around here with your supporting comments and love. Are you still in AZ?

It sounds like you’re in a great place mentally with the church. It’s definitely a process we go through to I get to the “don’t care” phase. If seen it with our NOM lunch group over the years. We still get together but it’s clearly become our “friends” lunch.

Take care
RR
“It always devolves to Pantaloons. Always.” ~ Fluffy

“I switched baristas” ~ Lady Gaga

“Those who do not move do not notice their chains.” ~Rosa Luxemburg

Hagoth

Post by Hagoth » Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:40 pm

Good to see your weird crystalline bubble again!

I know what you mean... to a degree. Although I still can't keep myself away from podcasts while I'm exercising, and I still enjoy juicy gossip, memories of the looooong hours I once spent reading all of those books about Mormonism cause me to break out in a cold sweat. I am so grateful that I figured things out enough that I never have to go back to that kind of obsession. I think I'll be involved with NOM until they put me in a hole, though. I can't tear myself away from these fine people.
“The easy confidence with which I know another man's religion is folly teaches me to suspect that my own is also.” -Mark Twain

Jesus: "The Kingdom of God is within you." The Buddha: "Be your own light."

Random

Post by Random » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:49 pm

Red Ryder wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:15 am
Random!

So happy to see you!

You’ve been missed around here with your supporting comments and love. Are you still in AZ?

It sounds like you’re in a great place mentally with the church. It’s definitely a process we go through to I get to the “don’t care” phase. If seen it with our NOM lunch group over the years. We still get together but it’s clearly become our “friends” lunch.

Take care
RR
Thank you. 😁 It's been great seeing you guys here, too. I've missed all of you.

Believe it or not, I moved to Wyoming a couple of years ago (was in Washington, Utah before that; I move a lot. Sigh). This winter I have been looking at southeastern AZ with envy. 60 high down there when it's 20 high up here. Had a couple of nights of 15 below zero.
There are 2 Gods. One who created us. The other you created. The God you made up is just like you-thrives on flattery-makes you live in fear.

PK

Random

Post by Random » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:52 pm

Hagoth wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:40 pm
Good to see your weird crystalline bubble again!

I know what you mean... to a degree. Although I still can't keep myself away from podcasts while I'm exercising, and I still enjoy juicy gossip, memories of the looooong hours I once spent reading all of those books about Mormonism cause me to break out in a cold sweat. I am so grateful that I figured things out enough that I never have to go back to that kind of obsession. I think I'll be involved with NOM until they put me in a hole, though. I can't tear myself away from these fine people.
😁

Speaking of juicy gossip, I have to confess that when someone on LDSFF talks about something the LDS Church is currently doing, I am curious enough to read it and comment on it. But there's no longer that wire attaching me to the LDS Church or to caring about it. It's quite nice to be free from their rule.

PK

Random

Post by Random » Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:55 pm

(That "grin" emoji from pushing the window and ; keys looks a little too much like a grimace. Lol)

PK

alas

Post by alas » Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:15 am

Random wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:49 pm
Red Ryder wrote:
Sat Jan 07, 2023 11:15 am
Random!

So happy to see you!

Take care
RR
Thank you. 😁 It's been great seeing you guys here, too. I've missed all of you.

Believe it or not, I moved to Wyoming a couple of years ago (was in Washington, Utah before that; I move a lot. Sigh). This winter I have been looking at southeastern AZ with envy. 60 high down there when it's 20 high up here. Had a couple of nights of 15 below zero.
If you don’t mind me asking, where are you n Wyoming?

We lived in Laramie for a few years, and 15 below was common for winter. The night we moved in, we had our belongings in a UHaul. It hit -30 that night, and most of our plastic had shattered like thin glass that was badly packed. The frost was about two inches thick on the inside of the motel window, and we had to put a suitcase against the bottom of the door because there was a tiny gap where we could feel the cold coming in. There was thick frost on the back and even sides of the suitcase. The heater in the room ran constant and probably got it up to 50 in the room. Do not stay at Motel 6 in the winter in Wyoming. There was more than one 4th of July parade where the poor girls in their short cheerleader skirts were freezing in the SNOW. On the 4th of July. The snow didn’t melt, but the joke was it wore out blowing back and forth or that it falls sideways and blows all the way to Denver. Our garage was blocked by drifted snow several times, which left my husband walking to the university. The section of Freeway just out of Laramie going to Cheyenne is the most closed section of freeway in the US, closed due to weather more than freeways in North Dakota or Montana.

Cnsl1

Post by Cnsl1 » Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:44 pm

Many years ago, we stayed at a Motel 6 in Cheyenne in July. The heater didn't work and it was very cold. And we were not prepared for it. Fortunately, the motel gave us a voucher for a free night.

Random, come on down to Southeastern AZ. The water is fine. Actually, there's not much water so better bring your own, but the weather is great.

MoPag

Post by MoPag » Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:35 pm

Hey it's good to see you on NOM! That's great that you've found some peace. Stop by anytime. You'll always be a part of our NOM ward family!
...walked eye-deep in hell
believing in old men’s lies...--Ezra Pound

Hermey

Post by Hermey » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:11 am

alas wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:15 am
"...Do not stay at Motel 6."
There, I fixed that for you. :lol:

Random

Post by Random » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:17 pm

alas wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 9:15 am
If you don’t mind me asking, where are you n Wyoming?

We lived in Laramie for a few years, and 15 below was common for winter. The night we moved in, we had our belongings in a UHaul. It hit -30 that night, and most of our plastic had shattered like thin glass that was badly packed. The frost was about two inches thick on the inside of the motel window, and we had to put a suitcase against the bottom of the door because there was a tiny gap where we could feel the cold coming in. There was thick frost on the back and even sides of the suitcase. The heater in the room ran constant and probably got it up to 50 in the room. Do not stay at Motel 6 in the winter in Wyoming. There was more than one 4th of July parade where the poor girls in their short cheerleader skirts were freezing in the SNOW. On the 4th of July. The snow didn’t melt, but the joke was it wore out blowing back and forth or that it falls sideways and blows all the way to Denver. Our garage was blocked by drifted snow several times, which left my husband walking to the university. The section of Freeway just out of Laramie going to Cheyenne is the most closed section of freeway in the US, closed due to weather more than freeways in North Dakota or Montana.
That sounds miserable. :(

I'm in Rock Springs. Apparently, this part of Wyoming (southwestern portion) is the warmest part of Wyoming. 15 below is not common here, yet we managed to get that twice last month. I've also noticed that the freeway you mentioned often closes during the winter. Once or twice, the freeway going the other way (toward Idaho) has been closed due to snow/weather.

For the first two winters, we were cold even though the heaters were on full blast all winter (they are electric baseboard heaters), and our electric bill was over $400. Feb of last year, my neighbor (I'm in a duplex that was built ~1901) told me that she'd bought a tower, oscillating, fan-forced heater and her bedroom was a lot warmer. I got the same kind for our bedrooms and it was not only warmer, but a bit cheaper. So, over the summer, I got more of them and have been using them almost exclusively to heat our place. The last bill was a couple bucks shy of $400, but at least we were warm, and didn't have to wear jackets or coats downstairs.

PK

Random

Post by Random » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:22 pm

Cnsl1 wrote:
Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:44 pm
Many years ago, we stayed at a Motel 6 in Cheyenne in July. The heater didn't work and it was very cold. And we were not prepared for it. Fortunately, the motel gave us a voucher for a free night.

Random, come on down to Southeastern AZ. The water is fine. Actually, there's not much water so better bring your own, but the weather is great.
Where we are, July can be hot, but winter can go to the end of June easily enough. That sucks that the heater didn't work. :(

I would if I could find a place there. Unfortunately, my dd doesn't want to go to a place that hot, so apparently, I'm stuck for the moment.

For me, that area is great! All I'd need would be water (not city water, but my own well/springs), a swamp cooler, and trees in the right places and I'd be fine.

PK

Random

Post by Random » Mon Jan 16, 2023 6:22 pm

MoPag wrote:
Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:35 pm
Hey it's good to see you on NOM! That's great that you've found some peace. Stop by anytime. You'll always be a part of our NOM ward family!
Thanks. I love the people here, and some of our conversations have been most enlightening - and stress-relieving.

PK

Izhmash

Post by Izhmash » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:59 pm

I care. I care that the church crumbles and disappears into the dustbin of history.

Random

Post by Random » Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:38 am

Izhmash wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:59 pm
I care. I care that the church crumbles and disappears into the dustbin of history.
I honestly believe it is in the process of crumbling right now.

PK

alas

Post by alas » Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:32 pm

Izhmash wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:59 pm
I think this goes in stages. First after our disaffection we care because we are still afraid we might be wrong, and others who agree with us are very important in keeping us from feeling like guilty wicked apostates. Then we get angry and wish the church would crumble and die. That is good and a necessary step. It hurts us and took away years of wasted life and lots of tithing money flushed into a black hole and we should be angry. Then we detach and either don’t care, or only care that it is still hurting loved ones. The apathy is also a stage when we have let go of the hurt and no longer need to prove ourselves right because we are secure in knowing the church is not what it claims.

nibbler

Post by nibbler » Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:52 am

♩ Well you can tell everyone I'm a unruly child
That I wanted to sin, that my parties are wild
I don't care anymore ♫
We don’t see things as they are, we see them as we are.
– Anais Nin

Random

Post by Random » Sat Jan 28, 2023 8:03 pm

nibbler wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 6:52 am
♩ Well you can tell everyone I'm a unruly child
That I wanted to sin, that my parties are wild
I don't care anymore ♫
Exactly. I went to Walmart today, to the liquor part, and as I walked around looking for what I wanted, I was thinking that I didn't care if anyone saw me (not that I know many people here, but that isn't the point :D ) - whereas, in my tbm days if I went into a liquor store so I could by Everclear for making tinctures, I was very uneasy.

Even when I still lived in southern Utah, but was no longer a member, I wasn't completely comfortable. And when I realized today that I just didn't care if anyone knew I was there (and I was buying alcohol to drink, not for making tinctures), it was a really nice, peaceful feeling.

The first time I wore a tank top and went outside, my innards were convinced I would be arrested for indecent exposure, even though my logical mind knew that was silly.

It's really nice not caring, nice not having a bishop or someone else who might humiliate/punish me for acting like an adult with the right to make my own choices in clothing and drink, among other things.

PK

Ghost

Post by Ghost » Sun Jan 29, 2023 10:21 am

I find myself sort of fighting against not caring to some degree. I recently started listening to Mormon Stories episodes again after not keeping up with them for a while (especially the recent John Larsen ones) and I even ordered a new academic-type book that I'm not sure I'll realistically read (the one about freemasonry that's supposed to be good).

I still have Mormon family ties and likely always will, but I think I might also exercise the sunk cost fallacy in that it seems like it would be a shame somehow to totally leave that part of me behind. I guess I still value that part of my identity even though I have no interest in participating now.

That said, I was just thinking the other day about what a relief it was when I crossed a threshold and all of the Mormon pressure melted away. It's been long enough that I can't really feel that contrast anymore but I can still remember it.